Hornets Nest in a Pear Tree...

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
This thing has been getting larger by the week. It's hanging in a pear tree at my grandmothers house at about eye level. It's about as tall as a five gallon bucket and as broad as one at the widest point.

So far no stings *knocks on wood*

Hornets_Nest.jpg

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
White Face Hornets,bad juju,them babies pack a wallop in their sting!Best thing to do if ya ever get them riled up is DON"T MOVE A MUSCLE,they won't perceive you as a threat and will go away!

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Please be VERY careful approaching this nest. DO NOT go near it if you can help it.

This is a paper hornet nest, probably White-faced hornets. They are extremely aggressive and will follow anyone or anything disturbing the nest literally for a good portion of a mile. Hit one with a combine once. Eventually outran them across the field, but getting anywhere near the nest for the next 6 hours was to invite being stung.

Venom from these hornet is STRONG: much stronger than a bee or a wasp sting. People who are at all allergic to bee stings should avoid these completely.

I cannot see any white on any of the hornets, but trust me: you really do not want to be close enough to see their white heads!

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
packerbacker said:
Some folks will pay for an empty nest like that. Just sayin' ::)

I am going to harvest this sucker. I have two methods I am thinking of using:

One involves waiting until the first hard freeze and just going out and clipping the branch the next day after they are all dead.

The next method involves lighting a Tiki Torch at night about 20 feet in front of the opening of the nest, then creeping up behind the nest and poking it with a stick. Hornets come out and fly into the flame to their doom, then I clip the branch.

And yes, these are "Bald-Faced Hornets". I know these boys will mess you up. They are hornets in name only - they are actually giant yellow jackets. So far they are pretty tame. I think you have to disturb the nest somehow to get them riled up.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
If you are at all susceptible to anaphylactic shock, a single sting from one of these is enough to get you immediately to the hospital. Forget yellow jackets and Africanized honeybees. One hornet equals several hundred of those alternatives.

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Tuberale said:
If you are at all susceptible to anaphylactic shock, a single sting from one of these is enough to get you immediately to the hospital. Forget yellow jackets and Africanized honeybees. One hornet equals several hundred of those alternatives.

I hate bee stings, but I don't think I am allergic. A red wasp popped me in the ear a few summers ago and it felt like someone was driving a hot nail into my ear with a claw hammer.

Usually you have to wait until winter to spot these, and by the time all the leaves drop they can be pretty beat up from the weather and other wildlife. They are normally high up in treetops so you have to shoot the branch and knock them down, causing more damage. I have a chance to get a really good specimen since it is hanging so low.

Hopefully they won't get after anyone before the first hard freeze. After we start getting some night temperatures in the low 40's-high 30's, they start to get lethargic. I may actually hit them earlier by creeping up there during the coldest part of an October night with a garbage sack to throw over it and tie off for a few days while they expire.

I may get someone to film the event from indoors - it could end up being hilarious.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
River Rat said:
Get the nest!!! Not now, but in the dead of the winter. Build a fire under or close by to smoke the hornets out. Those nests are selling for around $50 each. I have 2; one found by my husband 40+ years ago and another by my son about 14 yrs ago. I have them preserved & displayed.

:wink: RR

I would wait for several hard freezes, then the fire...not sure of the tiki torches working good enough though. Preserving was by spraying hair spray on em.

hornet\'s nests (2).jpg

Attachments

• hornet\'s nests (2).jpg
    hornet\'s nests (2).jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 851

Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
hombre_de_plata_flaco said:
And yes, these are "Bald-Faced Hornets". I know these boys will mess you up. They are hornets in name only - they are actually giant yellow jackets. So far they are pretty tame. I think you have to disturb the nest somehow to get them riled up.

Oh I remember these guys! As a kid, we used to burn the nests frequently. If I recall correctly, the nest is most calm at night. You can walk-up to the nest, light a book of matches and toss it at the nest. Because the nests are made of a paper-like substance, they burn faaassst. The Queenie is usually dead-center in the nest. Once she's dead, the few survivors go elsewhere and die. Anyway, the sight of this ball-o-flame in the evening was as fun to watch as a roman candle on the 4th of July!

Disclaimer: This post is for educational purposes only. Always seek professional advice before attempting this. Do not try this on a nest attached to a house. Always have appropriate fire fighting equipment (water hose/extinguisher/etc) nearby. User assumes full responsibility!

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Arizona Bob said:
Disclaimer: This post is for educational purposes only. Always seek professional advice before attempting this. Do not try this on a nest attached to a house. Always have appropriate fire fighting equipment (water hose/extinguisher/etc) nearby. User assumes full responsibility!
CYA-ing pretty heavy there A.B.! LOL! :laughing7:
Hombre, good to see, not good to see that hornets nest! So sorry dear, or hey, where we gonna sell it? hehehehehe :laughing7:
We had one of them, not quite that big, in the pear tree, down in Moultrie. Someone musta come by, and "harvested" it, themselves, cause one day it was there(next to road), next day, no more nest! :laughing7:
I can almost appreciate, the not haven to hassle with it, no I'm not allegic, but...............yek!

Also, Packerback, and ohioman, who be buying and paying big bucks for these things? :icon_scratch:
Inquiring minds would like to know! LOL! :laughing7:

Ok, for when ya get stung. If you allergic, GO TO HOSPITAL, doctor, fire department, GOT EPI, seek all of the above! (no moms great-uncle did not DIE from yellow-jacket sting and I lie).
If you not allergic, get ya a cigerette, or chewing tobacco, spit on it and get it soppy, put a pinch on the sting, and cover with bandaid, duct tape, whatever ya got. Leave on till shower, and/or re-apply after.
Something bout tobacco, sucks the sting out, won't hurt as bad for as long? I dunno :dontknow:
always worked for me

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
pat-tekker-cat said:
Also, Packerback, and ohioman, who be buying and paying big bucks for these things? :icon_scratch:
Inquiring minds would like to know! LOL! :laughing7:

People like hunters and outdoor enthusiasts seem to like them for decorations. Taxidermy shops will buy them to use in mounts as well I do believe.

I won't stand to profit too awful much from this thing - I'm just looking at it as a really dangerous $50 bill hanging in a tree at the moment. That's what I would expect to get from it.

One thing that has me worried is the pears. These things will have to drop eventually. Some that are growing above the nest could fall down and damage it. Also, there may be pears growing inside the nest. Hopefully the little buggers will eat them before they come plopping out of the nest. Part of the reason the nest is so low is because of the pears, so when they all drop the nest may rise up a foot or two.

bbqbull

Oct 31, 2006
Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X 70
The paper nest does not burn very easy.
Black powder shooters used to use that paper for a patch in their rifles.
They said that paper doesn't burn.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hombre...........you can also make big bucks selling certain videos to the various tv shows. If you do the tiki torch thingy you may want to have the cameras rolling. ;D

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have stuffed leaves in the opening, cut off the limb, & carried home a nest on two occasions, the hornets were so mad they vibrated the whole nest, (this was at night), & I have shot some off with a 22 rifle after the nest was deserted.

Fossis..........

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
ohioaxeman said:
Check this guys pictures out! He made a comment on a forum that he paid 300 bucks for a nest once! http://www.flickr.com/photos/72915472@N00/

LOL! I went to that bee lovers forum. There is actually a collectors market for these things. The average size of a Bald-Faced Hornets nest is the size of a basketball - and the one at Gma's is already as big as a five gallon bucket so I might make out better than I originally thought.

Thanks for the heads up OhioAxeMan!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
packerbacker said:
hombre...........you can also make big bucks selling certain videos to the various tv shows. If you do the tiki torch thingy you may want to have the cameras rolling. ;D

are you sure he won't get charged with Cruelty ?
or worse ?

I'm not trying to be Funny
Just realistic, considering some people

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread