Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got out a few times this week, not as many hours detecting, but you can’t always do as you wish all the time. Back at the scout camp with the CZ21 working on the site of the old farm buildings. I spent 6 hours swingin the CZ21 hoping to find more old goodies and some silver. No luck on the silver, but I did find a decent amount of evidence that the farm was here.

I ended up with 69 coins with a face value of $8.34, 64 camp tent pegs, an old spoon, a live pistol round, a stainless pair of tweezers, a whatzit, fishing sinkers, a newer round ball, a toasted 1922 wheatie, 2 fake cob coins, a heavy scout emblem piece, an English made rope tensioner for a smaller tent, 4 large horseshoes, a broken axe head, a knife, a cleat, and a military tent peg.

6988C6C9-94C2-4404-A512-BA453DC226DA.jpeg E4CE7A93-C504-472B-BD55-32ABB718504B.jpeg

The spoon is marked NATIONAL NICKEL SILVER so it has some age to it and it has deteriorated rather badly in the soil. Nickel silver actually is made from copper, nickel and zinc and does not contain any actual silver. When it is new it has a silver shine, after it has been in the acid ground it looks like cheap old brass.

73245460-E95C-462B-B417-D3C507E9BF65.jpeg

This whatzit looks like it is made of plated brass. It looks like it may be something plumbing related, but I am not sure exactly what it is. The small loop at the top has a slit in it like it was able to be slipped on and off a wire or thin cord. I’m pretty sure it came from the farm and is not camp related. ID help would be greatly appreciated.

This Boy Scout emblem disc is actually one of the corner pins used to attach the sponsor plaque to the camp site flagpole. The plaque identifies the camp site and the sponsor who paid for the construction of the site. It will be returned to the camp ranger so he can reattach it to the plaque.

2BB4E2C4-1C9C-49AD-8AB1-29CD5264B8D0.jpeg 8DB081CA-0EA1-4E95-875C-2BBA26380735.jpeg

The live round is a .32 caliber and has a head stamp USC Co. 32 WRA. The United States Cartridge Company (USC Co) was purchased by Winchester Repeating Arms (WRA) in 1926. So the cartridge was made sometime after 1926. I’m not sure how long they used this headstamp, but my guess is it wasn’t a long time. The slug is badly deteriorated. A regular lead bullet will stay in tact until it is melted. I have found a number of live rounds where the slug is eaten up so they must have used a lead alloy that did not stand the test of time.

0A897451-2479-4123-A271-C2AD9A74E4F7.jpeg

The 4 horse shoes were all pretty close together. They all look like they are hand made and are in different styles and sizes. That makes 7 shoes from this site. They all have a heavy rust layer from long exposure to moist ground. Also pictured is a broken axe head that has been in the ground a long time as well, a large lock back knife with a pretty purple handle, an aluminum cleat probably for a flag pole and a military aluminum tent peg.

51D76100-7317-4CD4-9D49-7D77CC959BCD.jpeg

I went to the old high school for 3.5 hours and tried to find some more civil war bullets. No luck in that but I did have a little luck with other things. Still digging all mid, high tones and mixed signals, in 3.5 hours I found 16 coins with a face value of $.50 (one of the worst totals in a long time) a chunk of melted lead (maybe camp lead and maybe not), a variety of athletic screw in cleats, a buffalo nickel, a stainless ring, lots of can tabs including 2 marked ones.

B51AB140-AB79-4BA6-A88F-C76FF994B605.jpeg

The buffalo nickel was in really good shape when it was lost. The 1930 date and all the details are very readable even in its poor condition from the time in the ground. It has been a long time since I dug a buffalo (over a year) so this was a very welcome sight in the plug.

7CE3C88F-0012-424F-B659-5291158BA510.jpeg 8B8E41B4-91EA-4C2F-920F-B537A5F49989.jpeg

The stainless ring is unmarked, but I found the web site it came from. It is a custom made name ring and sold for $15.95 plus shipping. It has a bear paw, a dolphin and the name ADYSON stamped on it.

81D0DBC5-E321-424E-BA01-6137BCFB3065.jpeg C99F64C4-0689-4629-8A8B-4A2DAE2F44E0.jpeg

The tabs were plentiful unfortunately. One was part of the monopoly game and is marked on the underside. The other has the markings on the outside and looks like it is a Miller Beer tab.

0CC1E3A5-BFB5-4890-BEDC-ACD7E7EACA7F.jpeg

I got a chance to go back in the water and spent 3.5 hours swingin the ATPro in a swimming area I had covered part of in my first water hunt of the year. I did an undetected part and redid another section. There were some fresh losses and I managed 32 coins with a face value of $2.52, a mangled tab, 1 sinker, 1 earring back, 1 kiddie ring and a batch of earrings. I also found what looks like a fossil that may have been brought in with the sand when they made the beach. I’m not sure what kind of fossil it is so if there any experts out there I would love to hear from you.

2AC23FBB-F3C5-4537-893E-A62AAC67B485.jpeg C55D9730-8C30-46F9-B321-E343021DEEBF.jpeg

4 of the earrings are silver and the one shaped like a flower has white topaz stones in it. The triangular one has has some kind of stone, but I’m not sure exactly what it is, looks like it might be turquoise. There is also a 14k earring with czs. This is the best silver and gold count from the water so far this year so I guess those horseshoes did bring me some luck.

FBF7FC4B-ACAC-411C-8F6B-4D740726B908.jpeg BB81DF98-C3C0-46BE-BB3B-90C5AAC17632.jpeg

No banner finds or bucket listers, but some good hunting in the fresh social distancing air, with good exercise, gas money and some goodies. Year 19 is going well. Thanks for looking and may your coil lead you to good things.

Upvote 10

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your mystery piece looks a lot like a saber scabbard ring. The only things that bothers me are the slit you are describing and the squared edges on yours. The slit may be intentional so the other ring can slip in place.

Saber.jpg s-l300.jpg

Last edited:

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your mystery piece looks a lot like a saber scabbard ring. The only things that bothers me are the slit you are describing and the squared edges on yours. The slit may be intentional so the other ring can slip in place.

View attachment 1849207 View attachment 1849212

Thanks for the input. It would be nice if you were right. However it is hard to see, but mine is wider on one end and tapers down. The squared edges are a problem as well and the slit is very thin so the ring would not go through. We will have to keep thinking I’m afraid. Thanks again, stay safe and keep swingin.

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got out a few times this week, not as many hours detecting, but you can’t always do as you wish all the time. Back at the scout camp with the CZ21 working on the site of the old farm buildings. I spent 6 hours swingin the CZ21 hoping to find more old goodies and some silver. No luck on the silver, but I did find a decent amount of evidence that the farm was here.

I ended up with 69 coins with a face value of $8.34, 64 camp tent pegs, an old spoon, a live pistol round, a stainless pair of tweezers, a whatzit, fishing sinkers, a newer round ball, a toasted 1922 wheatie, 2 fake cob coins, a heavy scout emblem piece, an English made rope tensioner for a smaller tent, 4 large horseshoes, a broken axe head, a knife, a cleat, and a military tent peg.

The spoon is marked NATIONAL NICKEL SILVER so it has some age to it and it has deteriorated rather badly in the soil. Nickel silver actually is made from copper, nickel and zinc and does not contain any actual silver. When it is new it has a silver shine, after it has been in the acid ground it looks like cheap old brass.

This whatzit looks like it is made of plated brass. It looks like it may be something plumbing related, but I am not sure exactly what it is. The small loop at the top has a slit in it like it was able to be slipped on and off a wire or thin cord. I’m pretty sure it came from the farm and is not camp related. ID help would be greatly appreciated.

This Boy Scout emblem disc is actually one of the corner pins used to attach the sponsor plaque to the camp site flagpole. The plaque identifies the camp site and the sponsor who paid for the construction of the site. It will be returned to the camp ranger so he can reattach it to the plaque.

The live round is a .32 caliber and has a head stamp USC Co. 32 WRA. The United States Cartridge Company (USC Co) was purchased by Winchester Repeating Arms (WRA) in 1926. So the cartridge was made sometime after 1926. I’m not sure how long they used this headstamp, but my guess is it wasn’t a long time. The slug is badly deteriorated. A regular lead bullet will stay in tact until it is melted. I have found a number of live rounds where the slug is eaten up so they must have used a lead alloy that did not stand the test of time.

The 4 horse shoes were all pretty close together. They all look like they are hand made and are in different styles and sizes. That makes 7 shoes from this site. They all have a heavy rust layer from long exposure to moist ground. Also pictured is a broken axe head that has been in the ground a long time as well, a large lock back knife with a pretty purple handle, an aluminum cleat probably for a flag pole and a military aluminum tent peg.

I went to the old high school for 3.5 hours and tried to find some more civil war bullets. No luck in that but I did have a little luck with other things. Still digging all mid, high tones and mixed signals, in 3.5 hours I found 16 coins with a face value of $.50 (one of the worst totals in a long time) a chunk of melted lead (maybe camp lead and maybe not), a variety of athletic screw in cleats, a buffalo nickel, a stainless ring, lots of can tabs including 2 marked ones.

The buffalo nickel was in really good shape when it was lost. The 1930 date and all the details are very readable even in its poor condition from the time in the ground. It has been a long time since I dug a buffalo (over a year) so this was a very welcome sight in the plug.

The stainless ring is unmarked, but I found the web site it came from. It is a custom made name ring and sold for $15.95 plus shipping. It has a bear paw, a dolphin and the name ADYSON stamped on it.

The tabs were plentiful unfortunately. One was part of the monopoly game and is marked on the underside. The other has the markings on the outside and looks like it is a Miller Beer tab.

I got a chance to go back in the water and spent 3.5 hours swingin the ATPro in a swimming area I had covered part of in my first water hunt of the year. I did an undetected part and redid another section. There were some fresh losses and I managed 32 coins with a face value of $2.52, a mangled tab, 1 sinker, 1 earring back, 1 kiddie ring and a batch of earrings. I also found what looks like a fossil that may have been brought in with the sand when they made the beach. I’m not sure what kind of fossil it is so if there any experts out there I would love to hear from you.

4 of the earrings are silver and the one shaped like a flower has white topaz stones in it. The triangular one has has some kind of stone, but I’m not sure exactly what it is, looks like it might be turquoise. There is also a 14k earring with czs. This is the best silver and gold count from the water so far this year so I guess those horseshoes did bring me some luck.

No banner finds or bucket listers, but some good hunting in the fresh social distancing air, with good exercise, gas money and some goodies. Year 19 is going well. Thanks for looking and may your coil lead you to good things.
Congratulations on your nice recoveries well done

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I had to reply again..I hope someday to be able to find a horseshoe ..it would be a great find
I hope your next hunt greets you with big rewards take care

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your great variety of finds! I like them all. Thanks for posting and sharing your information!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread