TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Spats is correct, as usual. Your find differs from the civil war era version of US Army general-service "eagle button," by having a high-raised shield on the eagle's chest. We collectors of American Military buttons refer to the 1875-1902 version as the Indian Wars eagle button. In 1902, the US Army switched to using the Great Seal of the United States on its army general-service buttons... the version which is still in use today.

The photo below shows the three versions of general-service (meaning, worn by non-Officer ranks) buttons... Great Seal on the left, Indian Wars version at center, and civil war version at right.

Attachments

• buttons_US-Army-eagles_20th-Century-and-1875to1902-and-1854to1874_photobyBigcypresshunter.jpg
    buttons_US-Army-eagles_20th-Century-and-1875to1902-and-1854to1874_photobyBigcypresshunter.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 34
Upvote 5
OP
OP
winslow

winslow

Oct 30, 2004
Oregon, No Cal Border
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Max, Equinox 800
Spats is correct, as usual. Your find differs from the civil war era version of US Army general-service "eagle button," by having a high-raised shield on the eagle's chest. We collectors of American Military buttons refer to the 1875-1902 version as the Indian Wars eagle button. In 1902, the US Army switched to using the Great Seal of the United States on its army general-service buttons... the version which is still in use today.

The photo below shows the three versions of general-service (meaning, worn by non-Officer ranks) buttons... Great Seal on the left, Indian Wars version at center, and civil war version at right.

Upvote 0

wandrews

May 30, 2011
Central Georgia, USA
Detector(s) used
White's Di Pro 5900
Very nice button! What would you call the thread-like material above the grommets? I am specifically interested in those parts that look somewhat like lead / gray metal pieces attached to the strings. I found a similar gray metal, lead-like piece. Don't have an image at the moment.
Trying to identify this smaller button. Wondering if it is military and the date range. Found a couple hundred feet above rivers edge. Tried to research myself but I'm not confident with the results.

Just for fun included pic of a bunch of tent grommets I found above the river as well at another spot. It took a while to dig all that!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread