Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Xraywolf that was very well stated.

Thanks, don't hear that very often !
There are divides, their are divisions within the divides, things are obviously terribly fragmented today, this is no proven right way or wrong way, we can only go by our guiding lights, instinct and common sense to make decisions which affect not only ourselves but potentially those around us as well.

In fact, we do that our entire lives with many things but the covid thing and seemingly never ending political/racial/cultural obsessions coming in at the same time put it all on overdrive, and can make people irrational to say the least. So far, most of us, as per the topic, have a choice of get a jab or not, and I certainly respect both choices, at this point, and the reasoning that goes into making that choice.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As well, I think many just don't see the overriding need, so long as you are fairly careful and sanitary, your odds of catching it are not great and if you do, unless you are in a very vulnerable category, odds are you'll survive just fine.

The need is to create herd immunity. If half the people are afraid of getting the shot, we'll never get rid of this pandemic. The vast majority must get vaccinated or it's all for nothing.

This isn't like passing on the flu shot. The flu doesn't kill 500,000 people in a year.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The need is to create herd immunity. If half the people are afraid of getting the shot, we'll never get rid of this pandemic. The vast majority must get vaccinated or it's all for nothing.

This isn't like passing on the flu shot. The flu doesn't kill 500,000 people in a year.

We heard about "herd immunity" early on in the pandemic last year, well before there was any alleged vaccine.
I for one am not qualified to debate the finer points of herd immunity, I guess anyone can google around for any opinion they are after.

If I am "afraid" of something, you are just as afraid of something else, so no need to go there oh brave one.

lukdiver

Dec 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Speaking of 'herd immunity' perhaps using a 'safe' (been prescribed almost 4bil times) generic drug could be used as a bridge. I've been following the iMask+ protocol for several months while waiting for the vaccine.

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Speaking of 'herd immunity' perhaps using a 'safe' (been prescribed almost 4bil times) generic drug could be used as a bridge. I've been following the iMask+ protocol for several months while waiting for the vaccine.

Ah, actually following the science...

shovelready

Apr 21, 2015
s.w.washington
Detector(s) used
tesoro outlaw vaquero, anfibio multi, Makro pulse dive
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a chance, snake oil. Will be interesting tho to see what happens to those brave souls who believe the lie and took the jab. Time will tell who is right and who is wrong, once it's in, you will never get it out, someone else can have mine.

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a chance, snake oil. Will be interesting tho to see what happens to those brave souls who believe the lie and took the jab. Time will tell who is right and who is wrong, once it's in, you will never get it out, someone else can have mine.

Wife and I are getting our 2nd chipping, I mean vaccination, this week and glad to be able to get it!

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
got the pfizer covid vaccine 4 days ago, feel fine arm just a little sore
the second round should be fine too, let ya know in 3 wks

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I am "afraid" of something, you are just as afraid of something else, so no need to go there oh brave one.

I metal detect miles in the woods with just my metal detector, pinpointer and shovel. No phone, no water and no weapons necessary. So let's not insinuate anything about my intestinal fortitude, son.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Appointments are loosening up here in my part of the midwest.
Ladyfriend was calling periodically and getting turned down for an appointment due to scarcity of vaccine.
Long wait times on the phone ect..

She got in the other day. Easy in and out with little waiting. Of course you wait a while after the shot to watch for a reaction.

I'll look into an appointment today maybe as eligibility has me "qualified" starting today.

Vaccine bothers me less than covid when a body reacts to it negatively.
Those we've known who caught it ranged from minor downtime to death. It varies that much from person to person..
I don't want any downtime. Let alone extended downtime.
Death I'm in no hurry , though I expect downtime sick to be most likely. (Which it would be also if fatal.)

Potentially reducing severity of a virus is my opinion of why to receive a vaccine. But I'm not going to help hold anyone down to get injected with a vaccine they don't want.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting..

COVID-19 pill effective in preliminary testing may be 'holy grail' of pandemic, Dr. Marc Siegel says

Dr. Siegel predicts the at-home therapeutic could come to market in four to five months

A new possible medication to treat coronavirus-positive patients could be enough to turn the pandemic on its head, Fox News medical contributor Dr. Marc Siegal revealed Sunday on "Fox & Friends Weekend"

First-stage testing of the experimental COVID-19 pill called Molnupiravir, by Merck and Ridgeback Biotherapeutics, showed promising signs of effectiveness in reducing the virus in patients.

"It may be the holy grail on this because it was just studied in phase two trials and it literally stopped the virus in its tracks," he explained. "And there wasn't any virus found in the patients that were studied."

The drug would function as an at-home, five-day treatment, similar to Tamiflu, to stop the virus from reproducing before causing major damage. Siegel said the therapeutic could come to market in as little as four to five months.

The doctor said even though only 182 patients were studied during testing so far, the pill could still be "very promising" for thousands of people.

"This might be the future once the vaccine really gets control over the pandemic and we just start seeing isolated cases," he said. "By then, this drug might be ready and this might be the drug for over the next several months."

Siegel predicted the U.S. will be free of the coronavirus pandemic by the summer, making the Molnupiravir treatment "very helpful" for managing isolated cases.
"This is the very first pill that we have that’s something that we might be able to use in our armamentarium against COVID as a therapeutic," he said.

COVID-19 pill effective in preliminary testing may be 'holy grail' of pandemic, Dr. Marc Siegel says | Fox News

Ol' Kentuck

Jun 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other
Something to note here.

Ridgeback/Merck's two Phase II Trials of Molnupiravir as a therapeutic are still ongoing with an estimated end date of May 28th, 2021. They are still recruiting for study subjects.

While preliminary results have shown promise, there is potential for lingering severe side effects due to molnupiravir’s mutagenic mechanism, experts noted. These severe side-effects are not addressed in either of the trials.

Nucleoside analogue molnupiravir has been investigated previously in other viral diseases, supporting its use versus SARS-CoV-2, said Robert Shafer, research professor, infectious diseases, Stanford University, California. One advantage of its mode of action as a polymerase inhibitor is the limited data showing viruses develop resistance against this approach, added Ashley Brown, PhD, associate professor, Institute for Therapeutic Innovation, University of Florida, Orlando.

There are unique aspects to molnupiravir’s mechanism, Shafer noted. In human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) and herpes viruses, nucleoside analogues are incorporated into a growing DNA chain and would stall its production, he explained. These are called chain terminators. In contrast, molnupiravir would still allow for the viral RNA chain to grow, but wrong nucleosides are attached to the chain, leading to many mutations, he said. Because of this, the chain would be degraded, he noted, adding this is why molnupiravir is a mutagen.

"In Covid-19, molnupiravir is incorporated by the viral RNA polymerase, with molnupiravir being a viral genome mutagen." - Ron Swanstrom, PhD, professor, Department of Biochemistry, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill

Due to limited data with highly active viral mutagens like molnupiravir, there is concern its mechanism would negatively impact the host, leading to side effects, Swanstrom said.

Side effect concerns have been raised about whether molnupiravir could be metabolised into a precursor of DNA, Swanstrom said, explaining it could enter the host cell nucleus, leading to oncogenesis.

*Oncogenesis is the process through which healthy cells become transformed into cancer cells. It is characterized by a series of genetic and cellular changes, including oncogene activation, that lead the cell to divide in an uncontrolled manner.

https://www.clinicaltrialsarena.com...aces-execution-obstacles-may-have-value-gaps/

While I would gladly welcome a new weapon in our arsenal against this vicious virus, bearing all of the above in mind I think I will hold my horses for a bit before declaring a premature victory over Covid-19.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something to note here.

Ridgeback/Merck's two Phase II Trials of Molnupiravir as a therapeutic are still ongoing with an estimated end date of May 28th, 2021. They are still recruiting for study subjects.

While preliminary results have shown promise, there is potential for lingering severe side effects due to molnupiravir’s mutagenic mechanism, experts noted. These severe side-effects are not addressed in either of the trials.

Nucleoside analogue molnupiravir has been investigated previously in other viral diseases, supporting its use versus SARS-CoV-2, said Robert Shafer, research professor, infectious diseases, Stanford University, California. One advantage of its mode of action as a polymerase inhibitor is the limited data showing viruses develop resistance against this approach, added Ashley Brown, PhD, associate professor, Institute for Therapeutic Innovation, University of Florida, Orlando.

There are unique aspects to molnupiravir’s mechanism, Shafer noted. In human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) and herpes viruses, nucleoside analogues are incorporated into a growing DNA chain and would stall its production, he explained. These are called chain terminators. In contrast, molnupiravir would still allow for the viral RNA chain to grow, but wrong nucleosides are attached to the chain, leading to many mutations, he said. Because of this, the chain would be degraded, he noted, adding this is why molnupiravir is a mutagen.

"In Covid-19, molnupiravir is incorporated by the viral RNA polymerase, with molnupiravir being a viral genome mutagen." - Ron Swanstrom, PhD, professor, Department of Biochemistry, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill

Due to limited data with highly active viral mutagens like molnupiravir, there is concern its mechanism would negatively impact the host, leading to side effects, Swanstrom said.

Side effect concerns have been raised about whether molnupiravir could be metabolised into a precursor of DNA, Swanstrom said, explaining it could enter the host cell nucleus, leading to oncogenesis.

*Oncogenesis is the process through which healthy cells become transformed into cancer cells. It is characterized by a series of genetic and cellular changes, including oncogene activation, that lead the cell to divide in an uncontrolled manner.

https://www.clinicaltrialsarena.com...aces-execution-obstacles-may-have-value-gaps/

While I would gladly welcome a new weapon in our arsenal against this vicious virus, bearing all of the above in mind I think I will hold my horses for a bit before declaring a premature victory over Covid-19.

It said "may be"

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While getting an appointment was a long PITA, getting vaccinated was pretty quick and easy. Five minutes in line, a bit of paperwork, a jab and fifteen minute wait for side effects. All and all about 25 minutes from start to finish. A bit of a sore arm but no more than what so get from my annual flu shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread