OP
OP
itspaidfor

itspaidfor

Feb 18, 2015
LeClaire,Ia
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello all, I see sluicing,dry washin,pannin,metal detectin& so on but was wondering if we could have a trommelin forum for us folks that own or build portable trommels and roam around with them. I think a lot of us would learn & could inspire others. Thanks in advance! All comments welcome.:hello:

Does not look like there is much interest:dontknow:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Paid!!! Give it a chance man! You just posted this last night. It can be kind of slow here during the early part the week.

Actually I think that a general "Tools of the Trade" type of forum would be a good addition here. We've got some VERY talented builders on here and this would be a great place to get all the "How to build a ________ " type of threads into one place. AstroBouncer and I both design and build sluices, Keith has his homemade trommel build thread, miller table thread and several other projects scattered around the forum. Plus there have been some other very good "How-To" threads from many others on here. I think they all need a home where they can be found easily.

FFARL

Apr 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't cost nothing, so I don't see why we wouldn't. I just gotta figure out what it means now. :)

Gelmac

Apr 30, 2012
Sudan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I second what goldenIrishman has said, besides sorting these scattered threads would be a neat addition to the sections of the forum.

OP
OP
itspaidfor

itspaidfor

Feb 18, 2015
LeClaire,Ia
Primary Interest:
Other
Excellent!

Paid!!! Give it a chance man! You just posted this last night. It can be kind of slow here during the early part the week.

Actually I think that a general "Tools of the Trade" type of forum would be a good addition here. We've got some VERY talented builders on here and this would be a great place to get all the "How to build a ________ " type of threads into one place. AstroBouncer and I both design and build sluices, Keith has his homemade trommel build thread, miller table thread and several other projects scattered around the forum. Plus there have been some other very good "How-To" threads from many others on here. I think they all need a home where they can be found easily.

Perfect I like your idea better! A builders forum! It would help a lot of people. I also think folks loose lots of gold from not understanding how to set up their equipment the right way. I had that happen with my keene 151. I was in a good gold spot but was loosing 90% of it due to not setting up correctly. I have learned a lot in 5 years but most of it did not come from books it came from guys like yourself. The MOST important thing I learn is to worry about fine gold as big gold will take care of it self. Next project is rod mill.:hello2:

OP
OP
itspaidfor

itspaidfor

Feb 18, 2015
LeClaire,Ia
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok anyone ever build a feeder? Like this? Conveyor.jpg

OP
OP
itspaidfor

itspaidfor

Feb 18, 2015
LeClaire,Ia
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Bill, I have been studying pics of goldclaimers belt feeder and could not figure out the end pulley as where to buy then it dawned on me they make their own! DSC_0699.JPG

Bill_saf

Jul 3, 2014
w/c Illinois
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
the tail pulley is self cleaning. 1-1/4 shaft 1 piece of d.o.m some 3/16 steel and two bearing pillow block' that's if the tail pulley is not to be the drive.

OP
OP
itspaidfor

itspaidfor

Feb 18, 2015
LeClaire,Ia
Primary Interest:
Other
the tail pulley is self cleaning. 1-1/4 shaft 1 piece of d.o.m some 3/16 steel and two bearing pillow block' that's if the tail pulley is not to be the drive.

Thanks Bill, looks like you have a nice rig! And your from Il. LeClaire,Ia here.

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yep there should have been forums for Trommels, Vacuums, Wheels, Blue Bowls, and builders forum long ago. So much good info. gets buried. Trying to find something using the search engine I find myself searching for hours trying to find something only to give up. Just a few clicks by the mods and the forums are up an running. Much like when the suggestion for the Prospector Journals.

Last edited:

Bill_saf

Jul 3, 2014
w/c Illinois
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Bill, looks like you have a nice rig! And your from Il. LeClaire,Ia here.

that rig is not mine. I have a wish list going may be some day. I do know where there's a shacker deck close by that has not been used for some time. I just need to fined the owner

Im down by Quincy, Il about 170 mile from you

Last edited:
OP
OP
itspaidfor

itspaidfor

Feb 18, 2015
LeClaire,Ia
Primary Interest:
Other
You do wonderful work!

Yep there should have been a forums for Trommels, Vacuums, Wheels, Blue Bowls, and builders forum long ago. So much good info. gets buried. Trying to find something using the search engine I find myself searching for hours trying to find something only to give up. Just a few clicks by the mods and the forums are up an running. Much like when the suggestion for the Prospector Journals.

Viper I have read many of your builds you do wonderful work! More important is the fact that there are a lot of gizmos advertized that create more work and actually produce less gold! I learned along time ago to watch people that know what they are doing and ignore the fluff. Just by chance I ran into a man a few years ago that told me the truth about mining.......water! Of course so folks just want to prospect and that is great! However everything you build is precise & useful. I just fear like anything else soon the guys that know what is going on and are willing to teach will be gone. My grandparents raised me and I have all ways sought out other people to teach me things I wanted to know.Any way thanks to you guys for all you do!

OP
OP
itspaidfor

itspaidfor

Feb 18, 2015
LeClaire,Ia
Primary Interest:
Other
that rig is not mine. I have a wish list going may be some day. I do know where there's a shacker deck close by that has not been used for some time. I just need to fined the owner

Im down by Quincy, Il about 170 mile from you

Well I am heading to Yuma,az the end of March and I will be bringing trommel home with me, so I can tear it apart and build a larger one.We can all ways build you one two!:occasion14:

Gelmac

Apr 30, 2012
Sudan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't wait to see it, sounds like a fun project. That's would be more helpful for members here. I have a smaller one in the making, the bigger unit is only on paper at this phase 8-)

OP
OP
itspaidfor

itspaidfor

Feb 18, 2015
LeClaire,Ia
Primary Interest:
Other
Build a sand screw!

I can't wait to see it, sounds like a fun project. That's would be more helpful for members here. I have a smaller one in the making, the bigger unit is only on paper at this phase 8-)

If you build a sand screw into it it will work awesome in the desert! What I do is run 50 to 100 buckets shut down the trommel and add 1/2 cup water glass (sodium silicate) clean out sluice restart trommel run a couple of minutes shut down and start digging again,by the time I am ready to run trommel again the clay has settled.I carry 3 55 gallon drums of water in my truck.After running a few loads you add some water due to evap and you do loose some from the sand screw not much.I am thinking about building a cover for the tank on the trommel.I carry a 1 inch gas powered pump to fill my barrels from mainly the Gila river.:hello:

Gelmac

Apr 30, 2012
Sudan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat tricks you have , is that the trommel you talk about in your avatar ? is it self contained unit? sounds like a well thought of build. When I get to a clayish area your trick would be much handy.

Appreciate it !

OP
OP
itspaidfor

itspaidfor

Feb 18, 2015
LeClaire,Ia
Primary Interest:
Other
Neat tricks you have , is that the trommel you talk about in your avatar ? is it self contained unit? sounds like a well thought of build. When I get to a clayish area your trick would be much handy.

Appreciate it !
Yes it is self contained,when I get back to Arizona at the end of march I will post a video of it in action. It is called a goldclaimer trommel. I have a lot of hard red clay where I run it the sodium silicate works great and borax will work but not as well. You have lots of gold in Sudan!

Gelmac

Apr 30, 2012
Sudan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, we do, but not much water where the big nuggets remain hidden : the Desert ! so drywashers are used extensively in these dry areas. But there is hard rock and placer activities as well. You must haul the water though , which is another big hassle. That is why I saw your idea is more suitable to operations in areas where supplies of water scarce. By the way what the hole diameters in the Gold Claimers trommel? does it classify to 1/2 " or 1/4 " ?
I think most trommels can be run as dry classifiers if needed, just my humble opinion !

DryWasherSD.jpg

This is the type of drywashers used in Sudan these days , they sell like hot cakes :3barsgold: . Those are large blower type , and need to be fed with a loader or a backhoe. Larger Drywashers produce in average 40-50 gram per day, depending on the ground and gold type. Smaller units produce between 4-5 grams per day. All units are a modified copies of store bought units.
They cost around $12296.87. for the larger ones .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread