How can I clean these up?

Ozarksrockturner

Oct 15, 2017
Southwest Missouri
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found some interesting rocks in a local creek (in Southwest Missouri) and would like to clean them up without causing any damage. They seem to be sandstone and are mostly covered with mud and Creek slime. In the following pictures there is one that I found "face" down and resembles a bear to me, one looks like maybe a dog or wolf and is still covered with dried creek slime and the last one I can see what looks to me like a duck looking over it's shoulder, but that's just me lol. If anyone sees the same or maybe something different, or if I'm loosing it please let me know. I there are a couple of them I tried to rinse off with water and a tooth brush that appears to have what looks like some kind of red paint If you will in strange shapes or locations. How can I clean without causing damage if there is anything there to damage? IMG_20171027_003455.jpg IMG_20171025_092711.jpg IMG_20171025_074633599.jpg

OP
OP
O

Ozarksrockturner

Oct 15, 2017
Southwest Missouri
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here are the ones with the red "paint" one is three sided with a sharp edge and one cupped and fist the palm of hand nicely. The other two are just examples of about 25 total. If nothing else I've got the coolest rock garden in the neighborhood lol. IMG_20171027_002626528.jpg

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Vinegar will clean them up.

While they may be cool rocks, they are completely natural.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Completely natural rocks.

Your wasting your time on rocks, there are real artifacts in the fields, creeks and streams of Missouri. If you not sure what to look for look at this link. https://associations.missouristate.edu/mas/identification.html

Learn how to hunt creeks and streams. Artifacts fall into the water when the banks collapse from rain and high water, they wash down stream until something causes them to stop, usually it is debris like fallen logs, brush, rocks and weeds. Look behind obstructions that hinder the flow of the current down stream, look behind logs laying in the water or the down side of the current.

Here are some pictures, chances of finding artifacts are higher in the marked red areas, look between the marked area, but objects that block or interrupt the flow of the current is where artifacts are more likely to fall and rest. Also look at bottom of small waterfalls, the water digs holes when it falls, I found many artifacts by digging in the holes made by the water falls.

Stream3 marked.jpg stream1.jpg stream2 marked.jpg

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While you may be seeing these images in those stones they are still 100% natural. It's like seeing faces and animals in clouds. Also, the "paint" is just discoloration of the stone from minerals leeching into it.

choo

Jul 31, 2009
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't waste your time cleaning them up they are just rocks throw them back in the creek!

filmiracl

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Learn how to hunt creeks and streams. Artifacts fall into the water when the banks collapse from rain and high water, they wash down stream until something causes them to stop, usually it is debris like fallen logs, brush, rocks and weeds. Look behind obstructions that hinder the flow of the current down stream, look behind logs laying in the water or the down side of the current.

Here are some pictures, chances of finding artifacts are higher in the marked red areas, look between the marked area, but objects that block or interrupt the flow of the current is where artifacts are more likely to fall and rest. Also look at bottom of small waterfalls, the water digs holes when it falls, I found many artifacts by digging in the holes made by the water falls.

I'm certainly not doubting what you're saying, because I've seen other people mention the same thing... but can anyone else here vouch for this technique? I hunt a river, so my spot is different, but I've tried creek hunting (mainly rock bars) but have found nothing. I know for a fact, there "should" be stuff in the creeks due to my research, past finds, etc. I never did check IN the creek though. I can't understand why searching those areas could potentially yield points because that's a gathering spot for everything... they're just filled up with other rocks. Unless you're talking creeks that are comprised of large boulders or bed rock... I can see little stones and such congregating there, thus points would be there. I'm taking about pebbly, sandy creeks. Again, I'm not doubting your technique... just wondering if other people have been finding stuff in those locations.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm certainly not doubting what you're saying, because I've seen other people mention the same thing... but can anyone else here vouch for this technique? I hunt a river, so my spot is different, but I've tried creek hunting (mainly rock bars) but have found nothing. I know for a fact, there "should" be stuff in the creeks due to my research, past finds, etc. I never did check IN the creek though. I can't understand why searching those areas could potentially yield points because that's a gathering spot for everything... they're just filled up with other rocks. Unless you're talking creeks that are comprised of large boulders or bed rock... I can see little stones and such congregating there, thus points would be there. I'm taking about pebbly, sandy creeks. Again, I'm not doubting your technique... just wondering if other people have been finding stuff in those locations.

Areas I circled are areas where the current is blocked so artifacts washing down stream in the current from high water caused by heavy rain fall out of the current. Fallen trees and logs are especially good on the down current side of logs.

I know this method works because I used this method over 20 years and found thousands of artifacts. I also took 5 gallon plastic bucket, cut bottom out, installed plexiglass with marine epoxy and used it to search holes

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunting creeks can be the easiest hunting that there is. it gives you a path to follow with artifacts. You will always see flint flakes first. It is not rocket science. I was finding arrowheads at age 5 or 6 out of fields. Creeks can be a walk in the park if they are old enough.

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same old song, same singers.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

FFFPatriot

Feb 21, 2017
Montana
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug II, 4 Kidde brand smoke detectors, and 1 carbon monoxide detector I bought from Home Depot (can't remember the brand).
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yea, quit wasting your time with those rocks. You could be doing much more with your time, like drinking beer or chasing wild women!

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, cool rocks. To me that second one looks like The profile of a gator.

I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free." - Michelangelo

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post your stone in the Jesuit , signs and symbol of treasure. There you will find out the truth. It's symbolism of the stones. Study those threads and then you will find the answers.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread