How common is it to get your magnet stuck and have to dive in?

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I've been watching plenty of Youtube videos and people are using some very very strong magnets. I have not seen anyone get their magnet stuck yet but I'm wondering how common is it?

My first time magnet fishing, 200lb magnet, 5th toss into a lake. Had that cord over a tree branch with two grown men swinging from it and couldn't budge that sob. :occasion14:

OP
OP
D

DetectorRob

Aug 27, 2019
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter quick draw pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My first time magnet fishing, 200lb magnet, 5th toss into a lake. Had that cord over a tree branch with two grown men swinging from it and couldn't budge that sob. :occasion14:

Yikes ! Sorry to hear that

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had one of mine get stuck on a metal dock railing and it took the long reach of a shovel to free it. My next effort would have been getting wet to get it un stuck on the flat metal surface. If you want to do a test with your setup just find an old car or truck (if the wife allows the refrigerator door) and stick it to a flat surface and see just how hard it is to remove. Pulling strait off is the hardest way but sliding it to the edge so you can break up a bit of the attraction seems to be the way to go.

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember also they can get stuck in anything with a "V" shape to it. Most I've seen get some kind of funnel shaped object slid down the rope to give the magnet an incline to pull thru things like tree limbs and other "Vs". Even with help like that, sometimes you'll drag more wood out of the water than you will metal..

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of these days somebody will find that 49 Caddy with 10 or 12 magnets stuck to it..:laughing7:

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Has anyone tinkered with the idea of an electromagnet? Just turn it off if stuck.

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Problem with that would be throwing a coil of wire instead of light rope I would think. Then having to deal with the electricity source also. But give it 90 days and one of the detector companies will figure out the latest greatest electro-magnet fishing machine the world has ever seen.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone tinkered with the idea of an electromagnet? Just turn it off if stuck.

I could probably afford the magnet setup but the price of the extension cord would be out of reach. And if you were thinking battery, that would take a cart to get that thing out on the dock. The new LI cells are about $1000.00 for that size. I just go ahead and play the lottery and hope for the best. So far I have only lost one small 200 lb and I blamed that on the sorry knot I tied. Since then I have seen the videos and learned the knots and soda bottle trick and that has aided recovery a great deal.

OP
OP
D

DetectorRob

Aug 27, 2019
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter quick draw pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I could probably afford the magnet setup but the price of the extension cord would be out of reach. And if you were thinking battery, that would take a cart to get that thing out on the dock. The new LI cells are about $1000.00 for that size. I just go ahead and play the lottery and hope for the best. So far I have only lost one small 200 lb and I blamed that on the sorry knot I tied. Since then I have seen the videos and learned the knots and soda bottle trick and that has aided recovery a great deal.

So the soda bottle hack doesn't reduce attracting strength significantly?

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So the soda bottle hack doesn't reduce attracting strength significantly?

Other that the magnet orientation ( the way it lays during the search) there is no difference in the attracting strength. When it is being pulled across the bottom of the lake, the magnet is on its side for the most part. This orientation still works well and the magnet is strong enough to hook on items in its path.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread