How could this clad have gotten this corroded??

OP
OP
gold chick

gold chick

Dec 28, 2019
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Zinkies will VDI 72-75 on the ATPro, key is the nasty raspy sound as you move away from the hit. coppers are 79-82 with a larger "footprint" than a dime and smooth sound reduction over the target zone. an eaten Zincrap can get to the upper 60's and will sound like a pile of dog duty.sure you know aboooooot those 53-55 & 61 Colonial aluminum can closures:laughing9::BangHead::BangHead:

actually, yes:icon_jokercolor:. I have been finding those can closures, how did you know?!?!

OP
OP
gold chick

gold chick

Dec 28, 2019
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gold Chick, gunsil pretty much covered it in his post #15, a multi Freq. detector for salt beaches, and for anywhere else really, in say different ground conditions and such. The new Garrett Apex?, well sure, it is not fully water proof, meaning underwater of course, what I like about a detector being waterproof, even if never to water hunt, is not having any worry about being caught in a steady rain etc. Nice to see Garett have a Multi-Freq machine though, Minelabs have been eating their lunch., I do own 3 Minelabs, but I also have 3 Garretts. The AT Pro you have, a great machine as are so many others of all brands, use it, love it, find good stuff with it until at some point you look to buy your second machine, and you will, we can't help ourselves, and you might then see what's what at that time. In 35 years I've owned 7, still have them all, (we have history). So..great good luck with it all, and those ZINC pennies? well, those and pull tabs..........you know.....

Well, so far I have fully submerged it in saltwater, and it worked! I found clad and some cans, at around a few inches deep. It claims to be fully waterproof? Shoot, if it breaks I send it back for a full refund on the grounds of false advertisement!

I am such a noob at this point, but my goal is to be nugget shooting in Montana with a Minelab. Didn't happen this year, but hopefully next season.

OP
OP
gold chick

gold chick

Dec 28, 2019
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sadly that ATP fine machine that it is will not give great results in salt water. Only pulse induction (PI) or multi frequency VLF machines are efficient in saltwater or wet salt sand. I love my ATP for land hunting since so many coils are available for it, but have multis for salt environments. The ATP will work just fine in freshwater ponds, lakes, and rivers, but salt makes any single frequency VLF detector lose efficiency. They will work to some extent in the wet salt but with poor depth compared to PIs and multi frequency VLFs. Garrett has a new reasonably priced multi VLF out, may be too early to know how well it works, but the Minelab multis basically rule the salt for VLF detectors at this time. The Minelab Equinox 600 is waterproof and very efficient in the salt and priced close to the ATP. The Equinox 800 has added gold nugget hunting capabilities making it one of the most versatile waterproof machines. Good luck out there, I would love to hunt the TX coast but it is a loooong ways away. Find a nice chunk of gold jewelry in the dry sand with your ATP and sell the gold and get a good multi and you will have the best of both worlds. One note, the learning curve on the multis is tougher for some folks than that of the ATP, took me some time to get used to the Minelabs.

Thx for the advice. I have fully submerged the ATP in saltwater and I have had some luck finding clad and cans at a few inches of depth... It does struggle to ground balance the salt and I probably should've gone with the Minelab in hindsight. Luckily I didn't purchase it solely for saltwater hunting, its just so dang hot that its nice to get into the ocean!

Why do I have a feeling I will end up with a half dozen detectors?? :dontknow:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
actually, yes:icon_jokercolor:. I have been finding those can closures, how did you know?!?!

Port Ewen Ace is one of those members who has mastered his ATP and a true "ace' with it. When it comes to what an ATP is saying he knows. Regarding multiple detectors, you will likely find this happening as the addiction to finding stuff worsens. When you look at most older members' info by their name or avatar you will see a lot of folks with a lot of detectors. Do I need my ATP now that I have a Nox? Probably not but the ATP has a lot of coil sizes which I like and they aren't available for the Nox. Do I need my old outdated Garrett BFO, not really but I have had it for fifty years and found most of my stuff with it, can't let it go. Do I need my Garrett Infinium PI, hardly ever use it but they are superb in some situations. I also have bought almost all of my machines slightly used so I have less money into them than if I had bought new. Yes, your ATP will function in the salt water with a lot of ground balance but it will get a LOT less depth and be less stable than a multi machine. Hope you find the gold!!

Last edited:

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my diggin' buddy FMERG runs the Minelab SEPro. we always challenge the "iffy" hit guessing the end result. he can see a few more inches than the ATPro with an unstable signal that I will barely see at full gain. end result-- the ATPro sees what the Minelab sees and I tend to be even a bit more accurate at calling the right material.

AND-- if it rains-- I don't panic :laughing9:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mostly used the ATP in more modern sites and often with the 8x5 coil since it is so much lighter than the Safari and I prefer 8" coils for general coin shooting. Really old site, Safari because it is definitely deeper and all the Explorer series Minelabs are known and proven silver sniffers. I am still learning the Nox, hoping it is as good as the Safari since I am becoming an "old guy" and the Nox is also so much lighter than the Safari. Before I got the ATP I definitely hated hunting with my Safari with my ATP using friends when the rain came in and I had to either worry or go home. My couple of friends ruined their stock ATP headphones in the rain though, they don't like water, I got the GG Amphibians which never really come off that machine.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know you have experience with boats in saltwater. Electrolysis occurs between dissimilar metals when exposed to saltwater, and is what eats up the "sacrificial zincs" we put on rudders, etc. At least that is what yankee boat owners call it.

NOT Electrolysis... Its called "Galvanic Corrosion". heh

Electrolysis is the act of sending Electricity though water.... SALT enhances it.

:)

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NOT Electrolysis... Its called "Galvanic Corrosion". heh

Electrolysis is the act of sending Electricity though water.... SALT enhances it.

:)

Oh I forgot to add... you are also correct... to some degree anyway :P

And I am no scientist... but this is what I have understood it to be anyway.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread