how did this pattern form?

BeatrizR

Jul 22, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello!

I had to drop the bike and walk through a landslide and found this crazy rock (large it was around 70 x 50 cm x 50 cm), it seems it had broken appart by the landslide. Outside the rocks just look orange (see the photo of the landslide). I consulted a friend and he suggested it is slate. However, I am curious on how this pattern could have formed. Can anyone please provide some tips?

This is on the eastern flank of the eastern Andean cordillera in Colombia.

THanks!

B.

WhatsApp Image 2019-07-08 at 9.13.41 PM.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2019-07-09 at 8.46.22 AM.jpeg

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome, BeatrizR. That's an interesting looking rock. Let me take a stab at it. The rock, without the staining, is a metamorphic taffy, of sorts. The rock, buried deeply, was subjected to the heat, pressure, and mixing, of mountain building. Hence the stirred up look, just like marble cake batter. Some of the mixture is high in what looks like iron, and after being shoved above ground as a mountain range, and fracturing from all the stress, water has been seeping through the cracks, oxidizing the iron, showing the swirl pattern. The fractured rock face collapsed, resulting in the landslide, and the exposed inner rock surface. That was a dangerous slide, probably not finished coming down yet.

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kray Gelder is correct. A previously laid down rock transformed and melted by heat and pressure.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

BeatrizR

Jul 22, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great! so it is not a slate after all!

Thanks Kray Gelder for the explanation!

B.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Probably some form of host-rock rich in iron minerals which either gave it this pattern via metamorphosis.
Or it's a outside layer related to how water tends to travel on the outcrop, oxidizing the iron minerals. I'd break of a piece and have it essayed for fun.
And that way you'll know if this is surface stuff or not.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread