How Do Credit Unions Work?

Infector101

Mar 20, 2012
Lake Wallenpaupack, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I've been CRH for about a year now and it has been so much fun. I've found so many keepers and filled so many spots in my books. I owe a lot of credit to those on this forum who have helped me and given advice. I never lived anywhere near a credit union (nearest is 30 miles away, a little far for me), but I recently got a 4-5 week position and I now drive past two credit unions on a daily basis. I was wondering how you here on the forum utilize credit unions. How similar are they to normal banks? Do you need a membership to ask for coins? Can you ask for CWR without a membership? What are the ins and outs of a credit union? Thanks in advance for the help.

Upvote 0

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
In general with a credit union, you should really be a member before you do much, especially order boxes or dump. Quite a few will be happy to get rid of some halves they've got lying around. The big thing with a credit union is that they are more selective than a bank when it comes to letting you open an account. With a bank, so long as you haven't been writing bad checks or racked up huge overdraft fees, they'll be willing to let you open up an account. Some credit unions though are much more restrictive, requiring you to live in a certain geographic area or be a member of X occupation (or have family in X occupation).

JHof88

Jan 13, 2013
There is a very small CU by me that I hit up. They absolutely love that i come in and buy all their coinage, cause then they said they don't have to take it anywhere. Their coins are all CWR. Right now they don't have any nickels or cents so I just have to wait for some locals to drop more off so I can clean them out again. I don't try to dump there so not sure how that end works.

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The credit unions around me don't order coins, they said they get more then enough from just coins customers turn in rolled. They actually like that i take coins every so often because it prevents them from having to send it off to their main branch and possibly onto Brinks or sit in the vault for a while. They actually only ask that i do not bring the coins back to them as they get more than enough already. But i have found some nice finds, found a V nickel in some rolls a few weeks ago.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is one by me and i got 2 boxes every week then they said they had to stop it cost them to much to get the boxes for me. NEXT!!

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
My CU sucks for CRHing. I just dump there. (All of them are probably different, so this is subject to area/branch.) They don't order coins, they give you the 3rd degree about anything, and they don't give out any CWRs, because they just dump them into the coin counter at the end of the day, and they charge an 8% fee to customers who dump in the coin counter (I don't, that's dumb).

jpuck

Tenderfoot
Feb 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My credit union has been great for me. They will order what ever I want and even have a change counting machine that I can use for free. You do need to start an account in order to use the machine but for every profession there is a credit union that you can belong to. At a credit union as soon as you open an account, you are a shareholder in the credit union. I have had nothing but good interactions with them. I have accounts at 7 different credit unions in my area.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
They almost always have better service, but they are usually restricted to a certain profession.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Credit unions are non Profit, which right away puts them ahead of a bank. They also have a coin counter. It costs 5% for regular members to use, but if you do enough business with them or if you have a child, you can use it for free (DUMP BANK!). The only time I've actually gotten coins from them I asked for Big Dollar coins, and they sold me 16 Ikes. Gave my son a head start on his collection. He then went to a coin show and found a dealer willing to trade common Ikes for other common ikes in slightly better condition (my son gave an au 50 for an EX45 of a date he needed). Anyhow,

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Credit unions are great, I've been spoiled by them ever since I was a kid. They almost always give you better interest payout on a savings account.

When the banks went through the thorough revamping by Federal regulators the CU system didn't get the same restrictions forced on - like namely number of monthly transaction limits on savings accounts. They are regulated by a national CU Association, yet are still FDIC insured.

On the flip side, since they are not-for-profit and smaller scale businesses, they are usually regional. Since they don't have huge national divisions to share profit and loss, they have to keep costs in check. My main CU here won't order boxes of halves, but will order boxes of other coin. They also restrict adults from dumping into the coin counter to $100/day. I had to open accounts in banks to CRH.

Credit unions are what banks should be for banking purchases, but usually aren't the most helpful for volume CRHing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread