How do some of you handle being frozen out this time of year?

Jamie Rullestad

Dec 3, 2020
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540, Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m relatively new to the hobby, and this is my second winter of scouring the internet for old maps, talking to people about places and event in the past, and packing and repacking my backpack with those essential items I’ll need when the thaw finally comes.

I‘m finding that the pursuit of this hobby in the upper Midwest can really test one’s soul! What does everyone else do during the big freeze?

Upvote 1

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tumble the clad to clean it and as you've said, do some research.

Kdmoo

Sep 18, 2018
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Funny, it's the opposite here in Texas. I do most detecting through the winter months. July through September it averages about 95F and I shut down the hunting for the most part. Occasionally I will do an early morning hunt but not big on getting up at 5am on a random Saturday in August. Rather deal with cold than heat.

Good luck in the chill!
Kevin

Kype

Mar 4, 2019
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tejon/Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
favorite time of year to hunt. no ticks, skeeters, posion ivy, or crowds. many parks youll have all to yourself. dress warm. and have fun

OP
OP
J

Jamie Rullestad

Dec 3, 2020
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
favorite time of year to hunt. no ticks, skeeters, posion ivy, or crowds. many parks youll have all to yourself. dress warm. and have fun
I’m a farm guy, and I’ve spent untold days afield hunting pheasants and ducks. The cold isn’t bad if you dress for it.

But hard frost runs up to 38” deep here. How am I supposed to dig?

Nate in Ga

Apr 2, 2009
usa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
come camping down in southern missouri we will take you hunting cw camps, also you can drive around and hunt value at run down thrift stores, also i used to go detect the giant piles of snow plowed up in grocery store parking lots and stuff you get jewlery pushed up when your lucky

RussFed

Greenie
Oct 17, 2021
Wilson, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400 and Bounty Hunter IV
Wear layers of clothes. As it starts to warm up in the afternoon just take a layer off.

OP
OP
J

Jamie Rullestad

Dec 3, 2020
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wear layers of clothes. As it starts to warm up in the afternoon just take a layer off.
Just after noon here, and at 13 degrees (F), there won't be any layers coming off today.

And of course, there's still that pesky 3 feet of frozen solid topsoil.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I’m relatively new to the hobby, and this is my second winter of scouring the internet for old maps, talking to people about places and event in the past, and packing and repacking my backpack with those essential items I’ll need when the thaw finally comes.

I‘m finding that the pursuit of this hobby in the upper Midwest can really test one’s soul! What does everyone else do during the big freeze?
Find public water that isn’t iced over. You can dig in gravel/pebble creek beds. Just be sure it isn’t too deep and that it is truly public. When you leave, it should look like you were never there. Good hunting!

NowandThenTreasures

Jul 23, 2014
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have dealt with upper Midwest winters most of my life. As others have said, it's a great time for research & going over your equipment preparation. If water hunts interest you, invest in some neoprene suits and get in the water. I have hunted in the Great Lakes every month of the year at some point or another depending upon the ice conditions.

Attachments

• Ice Detecting 2.PNG
    Ice Detecting 2.PNG
    488.7 KB · Views: 19
  • Ice Detecting.PNG
    Ice Detecting.PNG
    492.1 KB · Views: 15

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I have dealt with upper Midwest winters most of my life. As others have said, it's a great time for research & going over your equipment preparation. If water hunts interest you, invest in some neoprene suits and get in the water. I have hunted in the Great Lakes every month of the year at some point or another depending upon the ice conditions.
Been in Iowa 64 years. I spend much of the winter reading and planning. I plan out my garden(s) and my post-thaw activities. I already have a field to walk, that has produced some small artifacts. I found an old farm “scrap area” on a small property I bought and I have 3 creeks to hunt. I’m getting antsy to go, but patience is a virtue: so they tell me.😆

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread