How do you carry your detector on your ATV?

mrtim

Jan 7, 2008
Nancy, KY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Whites Spectra V3i HP, Whites MX Sport, Fisher F2, Bounty Hunter Quicksilver, Nokta/Makro Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just use an atv bag from Cabela's , (soft). I would take a picture of it but it's no big deal. All I did was line the bottom inside of the bag with foam from and old camping mattress. The foam is about 2"-3" thick. I cut some rectangle pieces the same size as the inside of the bag. Normally I'll put 2 pieces of foam on the bottom and sandwich the detector and misc'. stuff with another piece on top. It zips up nice and tight and pretty sure there's no movement while riding. I have several pieces of foam and the amount of things I put in the bag dictate how many pieces of the foam I use.

OP
OP
mrtim

mrtim

Jan 7, 2008
Nancy, KY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Whites Spectra V3i HP, Whites MX Sport, Fisher F2, Bounty Hunter Quicksilver, Nokta/Makro Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the reply, I am leaning towards just getting the Whites Hard Shell case and strapping it to the rear rack. I have several old homesites that are out in the mountains and the ATV or on foot is the only way to get there.

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a thing that bolts on to my front rack, its made to carry my ice auger but it works great for carrying my detector. I just use a bunjee to secure it. Bought it at cabela's for around $30 I think. :icon_thumleft:

relicminer

Dec 31, 2010
Pike County Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro-pointer, Lecshe Digging Tool, Predator Mauler T-Handle
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I use these Kolpin Rachet mounts, they open to the size you see and rachet down to small enough to hold a pencil!

Attachments

• 0000_Kolpin_Gear_Grips_--.jpg
    0000_Kolpin_Gear_Grips_--.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 2,643

shepcal

Mar 19, 2003
Oakhurst,CA
Detector(s) used
modded 4500, CTX30-30, Gold Monster1000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm gonna try this again; kidgold on one of the gold forums just asked the same question. I tried to post a pic of my setup (wouldn't work on that forum, but will try here)

I have the Kolpin Gun racks also and they are great, BUT! if you travel up brushy trails, you will catch the detector on a branch and the mount will break (been there and done that too many times). I bent up an aluminum box and carry my detector fore and aft. The aluminum box protects the detector from dust (yeah right! in the desert?), rain and vibrations. Some worry about situations where it might impede a bailoff- I try to avoid that situation.
Shep

Attachments

• IMG_0468 (600 x 450).jpg
    IMG_0468 (600 x 450).jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 2,733

vini

Jan 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome set up Shep, I need to get something rigged on my quad and like you mentioned, I got my coil caught a few times last weekend on brush so thats the way to go there, thanks, we need to hook up soon I'm looking for your number I have it some where saved.

frank

Sep 4, 2004
N.W. Arizona
Detector(s) used
ML 3500,Whites GMT,Gold Bug I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heres the way I have mine.
My setup is quickly accessible because I am usually in the areas I hunt when I start out.
So I don't have to travel for many miles before using my detector. If I did I would probably have it dissasembled and stowed away.
But this setup is fantastic for being in the field and easy access on and off.
I can carry 2 full sized Minelabs at once. When I have the wife on with me.

Attachments

• SUZUKI RACKS 013.jpg
    SUZUKI RACKS 013.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 672
  • SUZUKI RACKS 010.jpg
    SUZUKI RACKS 010.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 685
  • SUZUKI RACKS 009.jpg
    SUZUKI RACKS 009.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 1,468
  • SUZUKI RACKS 008.jpg
    SUZUKI RACKS 008.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 926

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Toss it in the 4' x 4' carry all in th e back.

HPIM1906.jpg

Actually, I usually walk or drive a car. :dontknow:

goldfinder

Mar 31, 2003
AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
on my quad I mounted a plastic trunk from Kmart (about $15 on sale) on the back rack. In the trunk are my digging tools, climbing rope, food, water, first aid kit, and a little "qualizer". I use bungies to keep it closed. On the front rack I mount my metal detector with bungies supported by some foam cushions.
Goldfinder

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in the woods a lot, and I've snagged my gear any number of times on brush and other unfriendly things - Murphy's Law reigns supreme here. Some hundreds of dollars later, I'm sadly wiser.

I think the only safe way is to disassemble it (no big deal with mine) and stow it in a closed bag, soft or hard. It should be inboard on your machine.

XLTer

Sep 26, 2012
Western Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just toss everything in the back and go .........:thumbsup:

Whiskey Springs overlook.jpg

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the gun racks for average riding and will disassemble and pack the detectors in a bag like Bum Luck does for a rougher type of ride.
IMG_0013.JPG IMG_0012.JPG IMG_0014.JPG

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the gun racks for average riding and will disassemble and pack the detectors in a bag like Bum Luck does for a rougher type of ride.

Well, I tend to get "enthusiastic". Sometimes in rougher terrain it just takes all the concentration you have, and it's nice not to have to worry too much.

Nice rig!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm working on rigging my ATV to carry all my detecting items, but not sure how I want to rig it for the actual detector. I was thinking of using a Gun mount but it seems loose. Please give me some ideas and if possible some pictures of your setup.

Thanks
Tim
A gun racks for a atv work pretty good is what i used to use,. Now mine are in protective cases strapped in the bed of my rangers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread