How do you go about finding leads?

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Much depends on the type of treasure you are in pursuit of..:occasion14:

leadnugget

Jul 29, 2006
arizona
Detector(s) used
gpx6000
gp extreme
gold monster 1000
nokta simplex
i think Gare has it right with searching the old newspapers.
the Library of Congress. loc.gov
it takes a little looking around to find the search area so here is the link
straight to the newspaper search area.

really amazing the info you can pull up.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of the topics i search for are as follows
Pic-Nic , Picnic, Picnic groves Pic-nic groves, fair Grounds, Ball fields and games, I even search for drownings, Where people drowned they usually were picnicking . These are just a few

LibraryCat

Tenderfoot
Oct 25, 2017
Worcester, MA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It really does depend on what type of treasure you are seeking. Also, it can swing on what type of personality you have once you are out in the field. Even if you are the patient sort that loves walking through nature alone and without the well-meaning friend who thought it would be fun to "tag along" but runs up the public flag of surrender once the mosquitoes show, I would recommend starting your research in a library, and cross-referencing maps with local laws that allow you to know where you can and can't legally look -- and under what circumstances.

After the above is understood, try looking up local legends -- even to the point of ghost stories that never seem to go out of the public mind (For example, was there a real "Farmer James Treasure X" that all the kids talk about on Halloween?) Try to find all the variations in them -- especially if it is tiresome, as you would rather spend energy *not* barking up the wrong tree, but also be able to make a simple, direct plan of action where you have spent most of the energy on your hunt indoors -- not mucking aimlessly about what may be a great place to look, but you have now called the attention of other people and casual passers-by who will either intentionally or accidentally ruin your private hunt-time by running off their mouths to the general public. ("Hey, I saw a man with a metal detector looking in the back fields of such and such for the old X Treasure -- think it could be there?") It has happened to me, and the next thing you know you will find all sorts of legitimate (or not!) signs posted all over the place as other people who have nothing more on their mind than quick money ruin your hopes...

Treasure Hunting requires patience and thought and a calm head -- and that usually does not involve quick money.

So research. Old state fair grounds -- for example -- may not sound romantic, but think how many people walked through buying trinkets, accidentally dropping coins, losing jewelry . . . you get the drift. And, like everything I have said before, make sure you have written permission to hunt, or is an open and legal place to look, and no overprotective person who thinks they own it even if they don't will get in your face.

If you do come home with something, try to have decided long in advance if you will just keep it as a personal memento of a great day in the field, or you want to get in into the hands of an appraiser you know you can trust. Stumbling on a glass jar of assorted coins in the backwoods is the very last place you want to succumb to the heady run-off-your-mouth excitement the comes with the disasterous urge to trust just anyone hanging out a "We buy Gold and Silver here!" sign.

Stay safe. Make sure people know when -- if you are truly just starting out at this -- people can at least expect you back or if you will be running late for dinner.

Stay sane. And above all enjoy yourself in what is a truly rewarding endeavor.

Bob207

Jul 4, 2014
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/AT Pro
Garrett AT Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For cellar holes and rock walls I look at a towns tax maps online and see if there is town owned property. When I find a chunk of woods that is town owned I use the states Lidar imagery program. If I find cellars or rock walls I contact town office and ask if its ok to detect on town owned property (I've never been told no) and go swingin :)

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Much depends on the type of treasure you are in pursuit of..:occasion14:
First logical thought I had also.
Hope the OP can narrow the subject matter down a tad.

Old maps and Google Earth have been my friend for a decade or more.
Then the door knock.
Get permission before you go exploring on private property.
Unsure knock and ask at the nearest door
They will usually will know.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread