How does one find the "Gold Line" in a stream using a Whites MXT?

Old Dirtbag

Dec 23, 2015
South
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Being mostly a desert prospector I'm not sure about the actual wet streams. I've heard you should tie some balloons to your Whites, throw it in the stream and watch which way the balloons float. Left Right Middle - not sure about what it means, if it floats upstream it's a big fish? Not sure about the balloon colors either, we don't use balloons in the desert.

Or you could just drywash maybe? I'm sure some of the prospectors that have seen water before can fill in the details for you. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There's a feature on the GMT called "follow the pay streak." I would think that the MXT has it also, so look at the soil mineralization number that changes as you move the coil around. You'll be able to tell where the high of concentrations of minerals and metals are when the numbers are high, and you'll see them dip when you hit the edge of the mineralization. This way you can map out your areas to sample and be productive when you're running your dredge.

I use this technique when the water low and there is exposed riverbed. I check the down stream side of rocks and what I believe to be low pressure area's, and when I hit high black sand concentrations I dig out the area and run it through my sluice.

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
from the Jimmy Sierra forum

Rich says; I own this model: MXT

Do I set he MXT to find Black Sand deposits so I am able to set up a sluice to find small placer gold?...or do i need a GMT or the DFX?

Thanks...best...Rich

Hi Rich, Your guess is correct. The GMT is the only detector which will measure the "amount" of black sand in an area and thus where the gold is likely to be concentrated. The GMT also measures the type or degree of mineralization ( the number which indicates ground balance) A detector actually balances to the type of ground. Thus the value, say around 77 on a GMT would be where ferrite or pure black sand would ground balance. No matter if there was an ounce of black sand or a pound of sand it would balance in the same place. Of course if there was too much to handle that is "overload" the detector NO balance would take place. but if you lowered sensitivity or lifted the coil away from the overload amount, the detector would balance with the same number. The DFX can show you a number and so does the MXT. However it is "concentration" of black sand that would indicate a good place to sluice or drywash and that can only be done with the GMT. Good luck,

Jimmy

Me, I've learned to read the river, it looks a lot different in the winter,
I look for something to push the gold to one side of the river or the other then sample, sample sample...
using a metal detector; I'd say get some black sand and test it out with a line of it in your yard.

I think Clay has lived in the desert so long he's become hydrophobic...

Last edited:

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I doubt the metal detector has any real practicle use in discovering pay lines in streams.. Truthfully I suspect your time is best punching holes with your dredge or using more common practices in sampling.. rivers and streams are all unique to themselves.Gold is the only indicator for gold.. Its that simple. Your time is better spent looking for gold not trying to find blacksand concentartions. I personally see the MXT as an unneeded tool for the purpose you stated..

You want to find pay zone areas. Learn your river or creek.. sample sample and then sample some more.

OP
OP
O

Old Dirtbag

Dec 23, 2015
South
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the responses!!!

I should have said Relic and Prospect mode in my first question. One article I read stated that the Author used Relic mode and the large Max coil with discrimination set at about 2 and that it would pick up the tiny nuggets or pickers. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I believe that if you already use a metal detector, you know the capabilities of the technology and are open to other uses of it. I use my Falcon MD20 for finding gold deposits all the time, in fact it indicates, by the type of beep, if it's sensing just mineralization or metal. When the Arkansas River is low I walk around an area mark area's that give me either beep, and dig them out. In this way I come home with gold every time.

tvanwho

Jul 15, 2005
indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo ST, Whites MXT and TDi,Garrett AT Pro and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I hope Clay was just kidding about tying balloons to your MXT and throw it in the creek???
I heard you were sposed to tie the brightly colored balloons/ floats to a string with lead fishing weights attached and throw it in the creek at high water
and if you ever find it again, dig there for gold.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So you just need to prospect for brightly colored balloons and then you find gold? Sounds easy. Do you use the MXT to find the balloons? Don't the lead fishing weights sound just like nuggets and bullets on the MXT?

Isn't water dangerous? I've heard more people die from trying to breathe water than all the snake, scorpion and tarantula bites combined. I've heard you could die just from consuming too much! I think I'll stick to the safe desert prospecting and leave that water prospecting to the danger junkies. :icon_thumleft:

Heavy Pans

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread