How does the banner system REALLY work on this new forum?

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
It says: " On the new system there is no need to nominate a post. Instead, we simply use the number of "Votes" on the post, or the number of positive reactions (Likes, etc.). Some banner finds come in categories other than Today's Finds and My Best Finds. In that situation simply vote with a positive reaction (Again, Likes)."

However, I have seen some posts with 70+ .. 100+ votes that don't make the banner even though the majority of the posters say ihey are banner worthy, while I have see others with as few 2 total posts and very few likes (votes) make the banner.

I guess I am confused as to how this new system REALLY works.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Works as stated, when there is a green box then that is used as a banner vote, if it is in a forum that doesn't have the green box then you hit the Report Icon with the bell on the left side.

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
With the posts with the green boxes, why is there such a discrepancy in what makes the banner and what doesn't?

Like I said earlier, I have seen some posts with 70+ .. 100+ votes (in the green boxes) that don't make the banner even though the majority of the posters say they are banner worthy, while I have see others with as few 2 total posts and very few likes (votes in the green boxes) make the banner.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the posts with the green boxes, why is there such a discrepancy in what makes the banner and what doesn't?

Like I said earlier, I have seen some posts with 70+ .. 100+ votes (in the green boxes) that don't make the banner even though the majority of the posters say they are banner worthy, while I have see others with as few 2 total posts and very few likes (votes in the green boxes) make the banner.
Creskol. first, they do not all make the banner. There is no find that made the banner with 2 votes, many members still use the report button even when there is a green box.

Only one vote counts so a find doesn't get 2 votes from the same person if they do a report and vote in the green box on the same find either.

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner Reporting hasn't changed for Me.
If it is a recent Find & in Todays Finds, Shipwreck, Arrow Heads etc
& The first Post is the actual Story of the Find.
not a Remember this Post :tongue3: if you clean , repair, Return or finally Find out what something is,
And you Don't Update in the Original Find Thread. It don't Qualify in my opinion .
if members don't report it and say banner vote in their post, it don't qualify for Me.
at least Once a Month I look in Reports & Count reports that stack up.

If something has enough reports saying Banner I'm in .
if reports come in at a fast rate it may get bannered quicker.
if i'm sure the finder isn't emailing others begging for votes of course.
no one gets a banner on the first day unless i get sick of all the votes :tongue3:

likes don't mean banner. I throw likes for things like aluminum foil too if added to a finds post

btw since I Don't know what Causes a Green Box ? I dont look at them :coffee2:

Last edited:
OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Banner Reporting hasn't changed for Me.
If it is a recent Find & in Todays Finds, Shipwreck, Arrow Heads etc
& The first Post is the actual Story of the Find.
not a Remember this Post :tongue3: if you clean , repair, Return or finally Find out what something is,
And you Don't Update in the Original Find Thread. It don't Qualify .
if members don't report it and say banner vote in their post, it don't qualify for Me.
at least Once a Month I look in Reports & Count reports that stack up.

If something has enough reports saying Banner I'm in .
if reports come in at a fast rate it may get bannered quicker.
if i'm sure the finder isn't emailing others begging for votes of course.
no one gets a banner on the first day unless i get sick of all the votes :tongue3:

likes don't mean banner. I like things like aluminum foil too if added to a finds post
I assume that that part where you say, "not a Remember this Post :tongue3: if you clean , repair, Return or finally Find out what something is, And you Don't Update in the Original Find Thread. It don't Qualify." is directed at me in relation to the Remington I found and cleaned. Personally, I could care less about that making the banner. On the other hand, those John Adams cufflinks that were found were, in my humble opinion, very much banner worthy but didn't make the banner. I am pretty convinced that the voting system really means very little when it comes items making the banner. I could be wrong, but that is the perception I get from this end of things.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
as I said I Always Looked in the Banner Reports Thread, Only Visible to us.
& ones getting allot of Attention Got bannered. By me .

Downside either nothing has been Reported under the New System
Or they are not Going in Reports :(

But I Do not trust Likes or members being Nice & Saying Banner.
Not that I Intend to Count the words Banner in a Thread of 30 Reply's ,
Then PM them all & Ask were you serious or Being Nice ?
:tongue3:

so I'm still waiting for a viable way to trust votes

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
btw I Liked your Cleaned Gun. I Hope you added it to the Finds Thread.

just my opinion.

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Works as stated, when there is a green box then that is used as a banner vote, if it is in a forum that doesn't have the green box then you hit the Report Icon with the bell on the left side.
Sorry, but I am a bit confused?? Where/What is this "Green Box". I may be missing something obvious.

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
as I said I Always Looked in the Banner Reports Thread, Only Visible to us.
& ones getting allot of Attention Got bannered. By me .

Downside either nothing has been Reported under the New System
Or they are not Going in Reports :(

But I Do not trust Likes or members being Nice & Saying Banner.
Not that I Intend to Count the words Banner in a Thread of 30 Reply's ,
Then PM them all & Ask were you serious or Being Nice ?
:tongue3:

so I'm still waiting for a viable way to trust votes
Since there is no need to use the little "bell to report" why does this statement appear: " On the new system there is no need to nominate a post. Instead, we simply use the number of "Votes" on the post, or the number of positive reactions (Likes, etc.)."

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since there is no need to use the little "bell to report" why does this statement appear: " On the new system there is no need to nominate a post. Instead, we simply use the number of "Votes" on the post, or the number of positive reactions (Likes, etc.)."
Admins were trying to cut down on the number of reports that were received, each vote would come in as a report, on days where there are multiple good finds we would receive lots of reports, they wanted reports to be about issues. Some members haven't seen that post and are still using the bell as votes.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, but I am a bit confused?? Where/What is this "Green Box". I may be missing something obvious.
Not all forums have the green box, it is in the forums that usually produce a find. If you go to today's finds forum, the first post of a thread on the right side you will see a green box/bar, at the top of it is a number and above it the up carrot ^ If you click on the box it records the vote, click on it again it will remove the vote, the software only allows one vote per member, it gives members the option to remove a vote if they wish. If you click on the number it will show you who has voted for the find.

If no green box/bar than using the report bell is fine to vote for banner.

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just told you Vote by the ^ in the Green Space to the Right

000aaa.jpg
otals are to the Left

000bbb.jpg

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the other hand, those John Adams cufflinks that were found were, in my humble opinion, very much banner worthy but didn't make the banner. I am pretty convinced that the voting system really means very little when it comes items making the banner. I could be wrong, but that is the perception I get from this end of things.
The voting system means a lot, if an item does not get the votes it will not make the banner, but just because an item gets say 30 banner votes doesn't mean it automatically goes on the banner right away either.

It takes more than votes, the rarity of the find matters, is there another find just like it recently put on the banner, are there good pictures in the post, is there a storyline with the post, If a find thread is just a video and has no pictures it will not make the banner if there is any question about the authenticity of the find it want make banner till it is resolved.

A lot more goes into making the banner than just the votes. a find may have the votes to make a banner and it still may take several weeks or a couple of months to make the banner too.

Not everything makes banner even with the votes.

Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is obviously at moderators discretion as well. Jeff is the head man when it comes to banners.Though we are all able to make a find one. Sometimes good finds are over shadowed by even better finds. If you see a lot of the same thing found it must not be that rare or if someone has just made banner on another item or especially if a person promotes themselves for banner ( hard to believe that members would do that) it probably wont make banner.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread