How long do you spend detecting at a new Permission ?

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you get a new permission how long do you usually detect there. I know my self if i detect a place for a =n hour or so and find not much i am ready to go. I know thius is wrong . You can hunt a spot for like 4 hours and find nothing but in the next 15 minutes find all kinds of great finds. Also when detecting old home sites what areas seem to produce best ?

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
It depends on the site. If it's a large site, I look it over for likely home sites: knolls, close to water but above spring flood, springs and types of vegetation. Often, homesteaders plant apple trees, or there are wild apples from grafts bases that have survived when the graft hasn't, rhubarb, Jerusalem artichoke, lilacs and other garden plants visible. If cultivated soil, of course look for a darker patch and for pieces of pottery and bricks. If possible (not too large an area), I do a survey with my detector, starting with the likely places and then moving out if I don't find anything. I keep expanding the survey. When I hit metal, I dig., Even iron objects will tell you something. Often I stumble upon the barn area first because there is so much big iron there. That usually tells me there was a house nearby.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will first detect in coin mode, just to cover more ground quickly and am able to tell if I was first, I guess some call it cherry picking but there is a purpose to this method. I may not make it back there, someone else may secure a permission, or the owner may negate his permit for me next time...... either way I don't want to spend a lot of time cleaning it all up for nothing and not cover the grounds well enough. If I feel there has been decent targets to be found, I will go back over it in relic mode if it has good historical probability of such. I prefer relic hunting over coins, but if older coins are prevalent there, I will choose to pick them out first......however long I can last.

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
Yrs ago when younger 6, as I aged it dropped. Now 2 will do. 1 hr, a break looking around maybe taking wildlife pictures for fun and looking at things head up instead of head down then 1 more. I might be out me and the misses though for maybe 4 or 5!
Im just 60 but am carrying some bad damage from accidents when I was young. Ahh to be 30 again 🙂
Still, lifes good 👍

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When you get a new permission how long do you usually detect there. I know my self if i detect a place for a =n hour or so and find not much i am ready to go. I know thius is wrong . You can hunt a spot for like 4 hours and find nothing but in the next 15 minutes find all kinds of great finds. Also when detecting old home sites what areas seem to produce best ?
oh wow you're testing my memory here! L Usually about 4 hours and if I don't find an old coin - then I bag the place. Typically means not much to find, been well hunted by others, or there just isn't much to find there. I tend to listen to my intuition regarding these things too. Some people lose a lot of coins and others must have searched all day depending on what they lost or had the coins sewn into their clothes.
Areas seem best - out back where kids probably played the most.
Areas off lawn leading directing into crop fields if they are farmers.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh wow you're testing my memory here! L Usually about 4 hours and if I don't find an old coin - then I bag the place. Typically means not much to find, been well hunted by others, or there just isn't much to find there. I tend to listen to my intuition regarding these things too. Some people lose a lot of coins and others must have searched all day depending on what they lost or had the coins sewn into their clothes.
Areas seem best - out back where kids probably played the most.
Areas off lawn leading directing into crop fields if they are farmers.
Very good answers Thank you very MUCH111

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt till it sucks , no finds , too hot , too cold , too much pain, I done. but if the finds are there I push through it all .

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
New permission means new dirt and I'll do the bit of research prior of obtaining the yes.
Then establishing if the invite is open, or need to ask every time I go there.
Usually it's a get out of the truck, and within a few minutes I have walked into the iron field.
From doing a walk out on all sides, I get a sense on size of the site, and the amount of spread.
Then I will spend as much time there as the day will allow.
Even if the finds were meagre I'll return another time to just to make sure.

I have sites that are just old friends now, they have given me countless hours and getting a non ferrous target is a challenge even.
But this has pushed to go exploring on the permissions land, and that has turned up other sites that produced as well, or even better than the first.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I scan the whole yard using a coins program I have set up. If I find nothing I generally move on depending on the age. If I do find Wheats and older relics, I'll cross hatch the yard after swinging it one way, opening My machine up more to find possible goodies being masked by iron. So depending on the size of the yard and the targets, this can take up to 3 or 4 hours in a good spot.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will usually spend 4-5 hours (this pertains to private yards) on the first visit, and then make a return visit whether I found anything the first time or not. If I'm finding items, I will make a 3rd visit just to make sure I clear it out. I have the same farm field permissions that I have been hunting for 6 years now.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will usually spend 4-5 hours (this pertains to private yards) on the first visit, and then make a return visit whether I found anything the first time or not. If I'm finding items, I will make a 3rd visit just to make sure I clear it out. I have the same farm field permissions that I have been hunting for 6 years now.
Impressive thanks for your reply

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread