DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all!
I absolutely love my AT Pro, my favorite by far for recovery, weight and understanding the language. My favorite coil is the 5x8, however, I sacrifice depth with the 5x8. I purchased a NEL Tornado, but switching coils mid hunt is a pain! Which leads me to a separate set up: my ATP and perhaps a CTX 3030...my concern is two fold: first, the weight of the CTX with a large coil, and, now carrying 2 rigs around if it really isn't needed? 🤔
Your thoughts?

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

sdprosector

Tenderfoot
Sep 5, 2016
San Diego
Detector(s) used
none looking to buy first one
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I got the two different coils for my CTX and also two different ones for my whites spectra v3i.

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since we're talking about coils, I just went to a school site where it is regularly hammered by a fellow with a "high end" detector who uses a large coil.
The place was fairly clean except for all the MASSIVE COIN SPILLS everywhere!
Yep, with a large coil on a digital read-out, these spills sound like big junk but with my trusty VLF and a 8 inch coil, the coin spills were like taking candy from a baby....over $36 in two and a half hours.
Not the first time this has happened nor will it be the last! :headbang:

OP
OP
DiggerGal

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since we're talking about coils, I just went to a school site where it is regularly hammered by a fellow with a "high end" detector who uses a large coil.
The place was fairly clean except for all the MASSIVE COIN SPILLS everywhere!
Yep, with a large coil on a digital read-out, these spills sound like big junk but with my trusty VLF and a 8 inch coil, the coin spills were like taking candy from a baby....over $36 in two and a half hours.
Not the first time this has happened nor will it be the last! :headbang:

Wow!! Great job muddy! Hat tip to you! I love my 5x8 coil, it is my favorite of all coils.

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 2 deus machines. One complete 9" with earmuffs and one complete 11 with ws4 backers, both with lcds. Love them deuses! I have my atp for water hunts but it's not nearly my go to for land.

OP
OP
DiggerGal

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 2 deus machines. One complete 9" with earmuffs and one complete 11 with ws4 backers, both with lcds. Love them deuses! I have my atp for water hunts but it's not nearly my go to for land.

Coil,
I was a little taken back that you have 2 identical machines? (Albeit the coil set up)....
Just curious as to why the same machines and not an array of the detecting spectrum such as recovery vs depth vs tonal frequencies vs customization etc. ??
In my case I have my ATP which I love with the 5x8 and I know the language, yet I'm looking to fill the void where the ATP is light. I have already thought of purchasing a lower shaft so I can have it ready to change out quickly, but I can't think of why I would have a duplicate ATP....
HH

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 2 excals, and a 3030 so I have 3 go to rigs...

_________________________Tapatalk Signature_________________________

DT2016

OP
OP
DiggerGal

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 2 excals, and a 3030 so I have 3 go to rigs...

DT2016

I am really considering the 3030, however, I know it is a very complex machine in comparison to the ATP. Looked at the comparison today between the Etrac and the 3030. For some reason the Etrac seemed easier to navigate? I may be overthinking it 🤔

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having owned both, navigation and set up is actually easier on 3030 with more versatility as well/ I love the color screen and target trace...

DT2016

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I am really considering the 3030, however, I know it is a very complex machine in comparison to the ATP. Looked at the comparison today between the Etrac and the 3030. For some reason the Etrac seemed easier to navigate? I may be overthinking it ��

I agree, you're overthinking it. As Treasure Hunter said, the CTX is easier to learn and navigate than the eTrac...at least it was for me. Don't be intimidated by your first glimpse into the CTX. You'll pick it up in no time. Start with the factory pre-sets and as you gain confidence, expand in to programs of your own. The time spent will be well worth it.

Just the view from my foxhole...

OP
OP
DiggerGal

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all of the input!
I made the decision and pulled the trigger on the CTX 3030 from Bart. Looking forward to swinging this bad boy very soon!
Thanks again everyone for your input! I appreciate it!!!

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bart Rocks! Great Choice... :)

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its great to have two machines but a hot car trunk or theft can be rough. That being said its nice to have an extra for different conditions or one for a guest detectorist. I have needed to switch machines mid hunt due to conditions or battery failure. I'd love to have a whole extra guest rig with a pin pointer etc. Its a great way to get invited to nice properties if people are interested in trying metal detecting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread