How many on here are following this Mine trail

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

393stroker

Jun 27, 2012
HOUSTON
Detector(s) used
Garrett pro-something
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How many on here have actually been out there looking for the mine ? The ones that have can you please tell us about your search and did you encounter any wild creatures even snakes ? I think it is pretty dangerous out there so maybe some hints also please
Yes, I came across rattle snakes, mountain lions, deer, tarantulas, lots of flying insects. It’s like walking on rubble with a very high chance of twisting an ankle or falling. Plenty of plants that will make you bleed. You are going to have to endure a challenging time. The trick is to not carry more stuff than you need and know your limitations. I take a satellite phone, knife, and a sidearm.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mr Stroker I thank you so very much for your reply :) Have you had any success out there and I hope and pray your not bitten by anything !!

393stroker

Jun 27, 2012
HOUSTON
Detector(s) used
Garrett pro-something
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mr Stroker I thank you so very much for your reply :) Have you had any success out there and I hope and pray your not bitten by anything !!
Yes, found some old mines and caves and ruins. I searched a couple of areas and thought I found a piece of gold once but it shattered when I smashed it. I got some idea’s I’m working on but it’s maybe 1-2 times a year I can make the journey since I’m a working stiff from Texas.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, found some old mines and caves and ruins. I searched a couple of areas and thought I found a piece of gold once but it shattered when I smashed it. I got some idea’s I’m working on but it’s maybe 1-2 times a year I can make the journey since I’m a working stiff from Texas.
Thank you very much for the update. I just sold my GPZ 7000 I wanted to try it out there this year but surgery changed my whole life situatuion. Thank you very much though for your replys GOOD LUCK !!! Maybe you can solve it :)

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
How many on here have actually been out there looking for the mine ? The ones that have can you please tell us about your search and did you encounter any wild creatures even snakes ? I think it is pretty dangerous out there so maybe some hints also please
Gare,
There are things that can cause harm, and other things that are just curious.
I’ve encountered wild bore the last three trips camping out there.
Very early in the morning… all three times. Once I was awakened, the other two times, I accidentally woke them 🥹

Rattle snakes …. 2 of the last 3 trips…. Both times they were sunning themselves on the hiking trail.
Ants and flies every time.
Rats look for goodies at night.
The birds like to see what you’re doing 🤓

I have smelled mountain lion, but not seen one.
Lots of signs though … scat and tracks , especially near water sources.

I have not had issues with scorpions or spiders. I use a sealable tent, and a thick tarp for a ground cloth under the tent.

Tracking thorns into the tent is something to watch out for.
If going off trail, chaps and gloves are extremely helpful in dealing with the shrubbery that cuts and snags everything.
Good luck if you decide to go.
When hiking in there, and the sun is beating down, but a nice 70-75 degree day, can feel like it’s in the 90’s. A hat helps, and seek a shade spot to take breathers. It can make a difference.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gare,
There are things that can cause harm, and other things that are just curious.
I’ve encountered wild bore the last three trips camping out there.
Very early in the morning… all three times. Once I was awakened, the other two times, I accidentally woke them 🥹

Rattle snakes …. 2 of the last 3 trips…. Both times they were sunning themselves on the hiking trail.
Ants and flies every time.
Rats look for goodies at night.
The birds like to see what you’re doing 🤓

I have smelled mountain lion, but not seen one.
Lots of signs though … scat and tracks , especially near water sources.

I have not had issues with scorpions or spiders. I use a sealable tent, and a thick tarp for a ground cloth under the tent.

Tracking thorns into the tent is something to watch out for.
If going off trail, chaps and gloves are extremely helpful in dealing with the shrubbery that cuts and snags everything.
Good luck if you decide to go.
When hiking in there, and the sun is beating down, but a nice 70-75 degree day, can feel like it’s in the 90’s. A hat helps, and seek a shade spot to take breathers. It can make a difference.
Idaho D Thank you VERY MUCH for the INFORMATION on what you can expect out there. A lot of people just go out there and learn the hard way. You are very nice to go into such detail. THANKS AGAIN !!!

+

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I echo what the others have said. I can't say I really "search" for any gold per se, but I love the solitude and the history of the Superstitions. I've seen rattlesnakes, scorpions, coatimundi's, bighorn sheep, javalina, big centipedes, deer and lots of different birds and insects - even got a chance to see a mountain lion once. I only get out there for a week a year if I'm lucky and I've missed the last 3 years due to health and other issues.

Two things I can't stress enough if you've never gone out there with the intention of going off trail (which is where all the good stuff exists!)....

1 - Most everyplace you want to get to off trail takes significantly longer to reach than you would expect from Google Earth views or photos. If it isn't the catclaw, cactus and other plants that grab and rip at you slowing you down, it's the fact that there's always places you have to go down and up, or under or over to get there.

2 - A person can survive out there for quite a few days without much food, but you won't make it long without water. If you don't know where to find it, you better bring along a bunch - leave other stuff behind if you have to, but not water. And if you think you have enough water, bring some more.

Like 393Stroker said, KNOW YOUR LIMITATIONS - when you're younger you take more risks, but as you get older, listen to that voice in your head and remember you might not be able to physically do the things you used to be able to do.
kitty 3.JPG

dredgernaut

Dec 27, 2012
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
whites mxt, tesoro lobo super trac., monster1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Gare.. i hike on the east half of the superstitions. i have covered about 150 miles or more under foot.. i have seen bear, coati, javalina, Couse deer, scorpions, tarantulas, snakes, the biggest wasps i have ever seen, and have smelled big cat.. and a big sand storm.. i would say the thorns are the worst... i rarely stay on trail. by the time i get out it looks like i got attacked by little cats.. lol... my hands and arms are always scratched to heck...
i live in Wisconsin however I go to Arizona 2 times a year specifically for the hiking and treasure hunting... over the years i have found several spots where i may find water. but i still carry 3 gallons every time.. when there is water i make sure to capture it in my empty bottles and stage it for next time in case its dry...
another issue is how cold it can get at night.. when i first went it was december , i had no desert experience.. i learned fast and hard.. do not expect it to be nice at night.. lol.. if you were to go to sleep with sweaty skin or have sweat moisture in your clothes, after the temps drop, that moisture will try to freeze you.. i now always take a 0 degree sleeping bag, and never go to bed with moisture in my clothes.. dry out your sleeping bag every day in the sun.. you will usually sweat some in your sleep, you do not want that accumulating in your sleeping bag.. i use an insulated sleeping pad to keep of the ground also.
GOPR0148.JPG
GOPR0155.JPG
my required gear consists of my tent, sleeping pad and bag, head light, gun, knife, jet boil stove, water filter, freeze dried food, pjs and socks only for sleeping, jacket, satellite phone.. snake bite kit. after i fill my pack it weighs about 50 lbs. or so.. i use trekking poles to help balance and push.. i use my regular cell phone for a camera and for music i have stored.. however if you do not put your phone on airplane mode your battery will die fast.. i am planning to get back down there in november. i cant wait..that is what i can think of right now anyways.. gotta get to work.

GOPR0148.JPG GOPR0155.JPG GOPR0128.JPG GOPR0070.JPG GOPR0099.JPG GOPR0121.JPG GOPR0129.JPG 20210303_145828.jpg

Attachments

• 20191109_084045.jpg
    20191109_084045.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 54

393stroker

Jun 27, 2012
HOUSTON
Detector(s) used
Garrett pro-something
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much for the update. I just sold my GPZ 7000 I wanted to try it out there this year but surgery changed my whole life situatuion. Thank you very much though for your replys GOOD LUCK !!! Maybe you can solve it :)
I take my old Garrett All Terrain Pro out sometimes. I break it down to fit in my pack and it is very lightweight. But it’s one of those things that I really don’t need.
EF0D2A5A-14FC-4FF5-B1B4-2586EB94732B.jpeg

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I echo what the others have said. I can't say I really "search" for any gold per se, but I love the solitude and the history of the Superstitions. I've seen rattlesnakes, scorpions, coatimundi's, bighorn sheep, javalina, big centipedes, deer and lots of different birds and insects - even got a chance to see a mountain lion once. I only get out there for a week a year if I'm lucky and I've missed the last 3 years due to health and other issues.

Two things I can't stress enough if you've never gone out there with the intention of going off trail (which is where all the good stuff exists!)....

1 - Most everyplace you want to get to off trail takes significantly longer to reach than you would expect from Google Earth views or photos. If it isn't the catclaw, cactus and other plants that grab and rip at you slowing you down, it's the fact that there's always places you have to go down and up, or under or over to get there.

2 - A person can survive out there for quite a few days without much food, but you won't make it long without water. If you don't know where to find it, you better bring along a bunch - leave other stuff behind if you have to, but not water. And if you think you have enough water, bring some more.

Like 393Stroker said, KNOW YOUR LIMITATIONS - when you're younger you take more risks, but as you get older, listen to that voice in your head and remember you might not be able to physically do the things you used to be able to do. View attachment 2050249
This is GREAT INFORMATION for all. I hope others read this and take not that out there that some wrong doings can be very DANGEROUS even life threatening . I thank you ever so much for your info and wisdom !! Nice kitty picture I hope it was not a bad experience

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Gare.. i hike on the east half of the superstitions. i have covered about 150 miles or more under foot.. i have seen bear, coati, javalina, Couse deer, scorpions, tarantulas, snakes, the biggest wasps i have ever seen, and have smelled big cat.. and a big sand storm.. i would say the thorns are the worst... i rarely stay on trail. by the time i get out it looks like i got attacked by little cats.. lol... my hands and arms are always scratched to heck...
i live in Wisconsin however I go to Arizona 2 times a year specifically for the hiking and treasure hunting... over the years i have found several spots where i may find water. but i still carry 3 gallons every time.. when there is water i make sure to capture it in my empty bottles and stage it for next time in case its dry...
another issue is how cold it can get at night.. when i first went it was december , i had no desert experience.. i learned fast and hard.. do not expect it to be nice at night.. lol.. if you were to go to sleep with sweaty skin or have sweat moisture in your clothes, after the temps drop, that moisture will try to freeze you.. i now always take a 0 degree sleeping bag, and never go to bed with moisture in my clothes.. dry out your sleeping bag every day in the sun.. you will usually sweat some in your sleep, you do not want that accumulating in your sleeping bag.. i use an insulated sleeping pad to keep of the ground also. View attachment 2050299 View attachment 2050300 my required gear consists of my tent, sleeping pad and bag, head light, gun, knife, jet boil stove, water filter, freeze dried food, pjs and socks only for sleeping, jacket, satellite phone.. snake bite kit. after i fill my pack it weighs about 50 lbs. or so.. i use trekking poles to help balance and push.. i use my regular cell phone for a camera and for music i have stored.. however if you do not put your phone on airplane mode your battery will die fast.. i am planning to get back down there in november. i cant wait..that is what i can think of right now anyways.. gotta get to work.

View attachment 2050299 View attachment 2050300 View attachment 2050301 View attachment 2050310 View attachment 2050311 View attachment 2050312 View attachment 2050313 View attachment 2050315
another issue is how cold it can get at night.. when i first went it was december , i had no desert experience.. i learned fast and hard.. do not expect it to be nice at night.. lol.. if you were to go to sleep with sweaty skin or have sweat moisture in your clothes, after the temps drop, that moisture will try to freeze you.. i now always take a 0 degree sleeping bag, and never go to bed with moisture in my clothes.. dry out your sleeping bag every day in the sun.. you will usually sweat some in your sleep, you do not want that accumulating in your sleeping bag.. i use an insulated sleeping pad to keep of the ground also. View attachment 2050299 View attachment 2050300 my required gear consists of my tent, sleeping pad and bag, head light, gun, knife, jet boil stove, water filter, freeze dried food, pjs and socks only for sleeping, jacket, satellite phone.. snake bite kit. after i fill my pack it weighs about 50 lbs. or so.. i use trekking poles to help balance and push.. i use my regular cell phone for a camera and for music i have stored.. however if you do not put your phone on airplane mode your battery will die fast.. i am planning to get back down there in november. i cant wait..that is what i can think of right now anyways.. gotta get to work.

View attachment 2050299 View attachment 2050300 View attachment 2050301 View attachment 2050310 View attachment 2050311 View attachment 2050312 View attachment 2050313 View attachment 2050315
Dredgernauht This is another GREAT REPORT !! Thank you for taking the time to explain things. I know a lot of people think things could not be that bad and have to find out for them selves. I wish to thank you for your time in telling your stories and ideas. I hope others also appreciate you !1
thanks buddy

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I take my old Garrett All Terrain Pro out sometimes. I break it down to fit in my pack and it is very lightweight. But it’s one of those things that I really don’t need. View attachment 2050498
383 amazing pictures and descriptions :) You folks have changed my mind about wanting to come out there and explore. I am to old now to attempt

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks Gare.. happy to share with anyone interested..
you are one of top of the line people on here :) I might also 383 is another as well as Cubfan

dredgernaut

Dec 27, 2012
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you stay on the trail and pay attention to temps. water supply and directions. you could go see it.. plenty of nice trails that have many people around.. just know your limitations.. it is worth seeing the range i think..

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand people Die out there every year because of no water and exposure ? is this correct ?

dredgernaut

Dec 27, 2012
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes, that is correct.. people do die out there every year.. from heat and dehydration usually..
thankyou for the compliment.. this site is full of wonderful and crazy people.. happy to not be the crazy one.. lol..

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This ENTIRE POSTING is FULL of USEFUL Information. I than ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED !! YOUR GREAT 111

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread