How to break rocks underwater

Honkey3k

Jul 14, 2014
Northern CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Morning,

Last summer I found a honey hole while sniping. There was a 'V' shape that the side of the river ran through and I was able to pull out a few grams of gold while digging down into this 'V' formation in the bed rock. As I dug down I found a 3ft wide x 2ft long x approx 8" thick rock that is blocking the center of the 'V' (thats what she said). I had a 4ft pry bar but was unable to move the rock. The location makes it particularly difficult to get to since I have to dive down about 4ft to get to the area to work. This summer I'll bring a come along down with a strap to see if I can break it loose.

Do you guys have any recommendations on how to break larger rocks underwater?

Upvote 0

SunshineMiner

Jun 2, 2014
Someplace Sunny, California
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Two of these - https://www.harborfreight.com/6000-lb-capacity-2-in-x-30-ft-heavy-duty-recovery-strap-61226.html

1 around an anchor(such as a suitable tree), the other around the boulder(if you can get around it), other wise search for something similar to this https://www.rescueresponse.com/shop/cmc-1-flat-webbing/

And one of these bad boys.

https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive/winches/8000-lb-cable-winch-puller-69855.html

You'd rather have you're straps fail before your pulley!

Edit - Sorry Honkey.. I can't read apparently :BangHead:

Last edited:

placertogo

Aug 25, 2010
Maine USA
I would recommend synthetic winch cable. It is just as strong as steel, does not stretch with load and is much lighter making it much safer if it breaks under load.

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would recommend synthetic winch cable. It is just as strong as steel, does not stretch with load and is much lighter making it much safer if it breaks under load.

If possible I would stay away from synthetic winch cable in typical mining operations. It is very fragile if not handled with care. It is very susceptible to abrasion and does not like have grit in the fibers. Maybe for one pull but the the cost of the synthetic may not justify it. If you are in an extreme remote area then maybe but your call. Steel sucks to carry but the cost, and the fact you'll only buy it once has once, has its advantages.

YMMV

OP
OP
H

Honkey3k

Jul 14, 2014
Northern CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Now I need to decide whether or not to get a thicker wetsuit and full face mask and attack it now while the water is relatively low or wait for summer..... Ive been thinking about this damn rock since October

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3k how fast is the water? The faster the water the more "I" would stay away from the full mask. It's a lot easier if you loose your face gear to clear just a regulator to get a breath and then worry about getting mask back on. With a full mask you might not have enough air to clear the whole thing just to get air

OP
OP
H

Honkey3k

Jul 14, 2014
Northern CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
3k how fast is the water? The faster the water the more "I" would stay away from the full mask. It's a lot easier if you loose your face gear to clear just a regulator to get a breath and then worry about getting mask back on. With a full mask you might not have enough air to clear the whole thing just to get air

Not sure of exact temperature but this time of year it is cold enough to sting - it is very painful after a minute or so in the water. This time of year I have to pan with neoprene gloves or forget about it!

BlasterJ

Apr 2, 2020
Southern California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would second the suggestion for using the Sierra Blaster. You can break a rock that size with one charge from a micro blaster.

Depending on how deep the stream is, you could also drill some 5/8" with the drill located on the surface, using a long drill bit. Then you can either feathers and wedges.

You can also get a Tirfor winch and haul it out by hand in one piece if it's really that big and not stuck in the sand.

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Champlain, NY on the Canadian border.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sounds pretty small from your dimensions but still, you can easily drill and blast any size rock out of your way. An underwater battery powered sds plus and one charge with a sierra blaster is simple.

The Fish and Wildlife folks will eat you alive for blasting in a waterway. The concussion, shock wave, and sound is conducted efficiently through a dense medium, such as water. The upside, fish for lunch or dinner.

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sounds pretty small from your dimensions but still, you can easily drill and blast any size rock out of your way. An underwater battery powered sds plus and one charge with a sierra blaster is simple.

First of all the Fish and Game folks will eat you alive. An act like that will definitely give the tree huggers more ammo to shoot at us. The upside is wholesome nutrition... fresh fish for lunch or dinner. I personally would use a cheap electric winch from Harbor Freight, some chain to anchor to a tree or whatever, and winch the boulder out of the way.

The blasting idea leaves you some simple choices... six men to bear your coffin or twelve men/women to act as a jury.

Aeds151

Jan 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thread has resource damage written all over it

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First of all the Fish and Game folks will eat you alive. An act like that will definitely give the tree huggers more ammo to shoot at us. The upside is wholesome nutrition... fresh fish for lunch or dinner. I personally would use a cheap electric winch from Harbor Freight, some chain to anchor to a tree or whatever, and winch the boulder out of the way.

The blasting idea leaves you some simple choices... six men to bear your coffin or twelve men/women to act as a jury.

The Sierra Blaster single round sounds about the same as a 22, no fish will be harmed... the rock breaks apart...

Last edited:

Minerrick1

Greenie
Apr 28, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've recorded underwater video when a SB went off and it sounds like two rocks hitting each other or a "tap" sound. I am sure in the wintertime when all the rocks are rolling in the streambed the noise is much more "damaging" to the fish than the sound of the SB. Nevertheless, i don't think the overlords would appreciate us utilizing the product this way.

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Maybe it is as "quiet" as can be, but what about the chemicals released into the water? Just being a devils advocate about the subject, because the Fish and Game folks will be. Safer to use a winch or come-along and probable less expensive and time consuming.

Before all off this tree hugging crap... a small shape charge would have done the trick. No drilling or winch required. Loud, but more fun.

Minerrick1

Greenie
Apr 28, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe it is as "quiet" as can be, but what about the chemicals released into the water? Just being a devils advocate about the subject, because the Fish and Game folks will be. Safer to use a winch or come-along and probable less expensive and time consuming.

Before all off this tree hugging crap... a small shape charge would have done the trick. No drilling or winch required. Loud, but more fun.

Well, don't use sunscreen either or you will be releasing chemicals into the river also. When you start measuring things by parts per billion, EVERYTHING is a pollutant.

Wiggler

May 9, 2019
The Real Northern Calif.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Im generally not a huge fan of Harbor Freight stuff but the name brand "Porta Power" tools get pricey.

https://www.harborfreight.com/10-To...olSkHg-xuPSC3CV4kqJUSq4eIhOvvrkBoCVwwQAvD_BwE

... and maybe this attachment ??

https://www.harborfreight.com/10-ton-hydraulic-short-body-ram-95979.html

Most well equipped mechanics have a porta power. Maybe borrow / rent one ??

You just have to get the rock to move a little bit to break it free as you know. .

Blasting would probably be funner though ; )

Last edited:

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rather than spend that much on a knock off porta power just a get a farm jack / Hi Lift jacket and set it up for chains. It will have a longer length of travel and can be set up for push or pull. Has a A LOT more other uses too.
ratled

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problem with the porta power is weight... they do have their purpose, we have carried them in, but not since the Sierra Blaster came out.

DredgerDana

Feb 18, 2015
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer, TDI White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GoldRush Whitewater is blasting this year underwater

Hi Reed, hope you are good. Indeed a SierraBlaster will do it. Dustin Hurt got one and new WhiteWater Season 4 will show extensive underwater blasting with SierraBlaster. Here is one sizzle reel for TV show showcasing that. Dustin super happy with it and think they will get a lot more gold with it.
https://www.thewrap.com/gold-rush-spinoff-white-water-renewed-season-4-trailer-premiere-date-video/

There is another one showing them setting the heads. Can not wait for the show, Nov 13th, they do a great job video wise. https://twitter.com/i/status/1320077601092685824 Christo's Twitter

Cheers

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Reed, hope you are good. Indeed a SierraBlaster will do it. Dustin Hurt got one and new WhiteWater Season 4 will show extensive underwater blasting with SierraBlaster. Here is one sizzle reel for TV show showcasing that. Dustin super happy with it and think they will get a lot more gold with it.
https://www.thewrap.com/gold-rush-spinoff-white-water-renewed-season-4-trailer-premiere-date-video/

There is another one showing them setting the heads. Can not wait for the show, Nov 13th, they do a great job video wise. https://twitter.com/i/status/1320077601092685824 Christo's Twitter

Cheers

I think I watched the 1st two seasons of whitewater. Have they found any decent gold since then? At the end of the second season they finally got down to their crack and cleaned up 11 oz or so but never really showed much about them actually getting it. All just breakdowns and drama. Not worth it to me to watch all that anymore.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread