jaypop06

Feb 19, 2014
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never posted on this forum before (at least I don't think I have) and I was needing some assistance from someone who knows...

I've seen some people on here find some pretty cool things around railroads, but my question is, where does one detect to find anything?

What I'm getting at is, anywhere near the tracks (at least where I live) is covered in gravel, big gravel, something that would be hard to dig through. How far away would you suggest to start detecting actual dirt to find something interesting?

Any help at all on this subject would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks in advance..

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Best bet is to look at overhead images from Google Pro and spot where there were single rails that briefly split to parallel rails for 500 feet or so near a road that goes in near the tracks. These often indicate where there was a station, depot or at least an off-loading area.

If you have a detector that doesn't give a tone for iron you will keep more of your sanity.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You have to find the old train stations and refueling areas, to just dig near the tracks will be a waste of time. Also the coal and coke will drive you nuts. Make sure you can ground balance them out somewhat or you will pull your hair out. I have tried a few areas and my patience just ran out. Good luck!

OP
OP
J

jaypop06

Feb 19, 2014
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, kinda along the lines that I was leaning, but wanted to find out from someone with more experience than self. I'll take this advice and put it to use and see what I can come up with.... Thanks again...

Eddie Current

May 17, 2011
Flooorida
Detector(s) used
CTX /AT Pro / Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Be careful hunting around railroad tracks... trespass laws come into play and the authorities might take a strong action against you. I remember reading a long time ago on this forum that a guy was metal detecting on a railroad right of way and the cops took his metal detector and fined him for trespass.

OP
OP
J

jaypop06

Feb 19, 2014
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh. Wouldn't want that to happen. I'll have to check the local laws and regulations before I start that this spring. Thanks for the tip. Never thought of the that to be honest.
Be careful hunting around railroad tracks... trespass laws come into play and the authorities might take a strong action against you. I remember reading a long time ago on this forum that a guy was metal detecting on a railroad right of way and the cops took his metal detector and fined him for trespass.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of RR have utility easements on them, I worked for one, we frowned very strongly on anyone digging on our easement at all...

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TH you are right as far as easements for utility companies however an easement is only a right of way on property not an ownership and as long as nothing actually owned by the utility company is touched things should be ok. In 1955 the local railway closed and when we purchased our land sections of the RR came with it. I have been hunting the tracks and found several things and the things most needed are picks and patience. The coke will drive you nuts but notch it out and drop your sensitivity down, the power lines will get you too. I actually found the iron firebox door of the engine..now how such a thing came off and ended up on the side of the track I don't know but it weighs a horrible amount.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TH you are right as far as easements for utility companies however an easement is only a right of way on property not an ownership and as long as nothing actually owned by the utility company is touched things should be ok. In 1955 the local railway closed and when we purchased our land sections of the RR came with it. I have been hunting the tracks and found several things and the things most needed are picks and patience. The coke will drive you nuts but notch it out and drop your sensitivity down, the power lines will get you too. I actually found the iron firebox door of the engine..now how such a thing came off and ended up on the side of the track I don't know but it weighs a horrible amount.
You could walk on our easement that was not an issue, digging on it was a major issue. I had several people ticketed by police for digging... A lot of our easements were also on abandon railroads...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread