Greenie
Dec 3, 2021
Wilkes County, NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello,

I just got a new BH Tracker IV detector in hopes of finding a lost GoPro Hero Session 5 camera I lost a while back in a field of tall thick grass. Being that this is not a usual thing to hunt I am looking for suggestions on how to set my detectors settings to have the best possibility of finding the camera.

I tried for a while in all metal mode but the grass is thick even though the first frost flattened it out a bit but I am getting so many false readings that are frustrating. The camera is not buried in the ground but is buried in the grass by now. However, I am not entirely sure that is the area it was lost in. The camera was mounted on one of my FPV quadcopters I was flying in the field and it bounced off of that building and crashed. My wife and I walked all over that area but had no luck finding it.

Any suggestions on settings would be appreciated and FYI, I do have another one just like it so if that helps in settings suggestions I am glad.
I have attached a picture of the area I am looking in so you can see what I am up against.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Tall Grass.jpg
    Tall Grass.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 56

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the roof or gutters of that building you crashed into ?

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might look along the foundation in that very tall stuff and just spread it back with your hands. I do not know the amount of metal that is on that camera but it may only be mostly plastic which would make it very hard to detect from a distance over 6 inches. A real good pin pointer could also be used to reach down into the grass. Good luck

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, it actually hit the side of the building. I have already checked the roof but it was not there. Thanks.
Then I'd go w/post #3

OP
OP
graywoulf

graywoulf

Greenie
Dec 3, 2021
Wilkes County, NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Other
You might look along the foundation in that very tall stuff and just spread it back with your hands. I do not know the amount of metal that is on that camera but it may only be mostly plastic which would make it very hard to detect from a distance over 6 inches. A real good pin pointer could also be used to reach down into the grass. Good luck
The detector picks up my replacement GoPro camera pretty well but I can't figure out a way to set the detector to discriminate other objects. I thought about a pinpointer but I cannot afford a "good" one right now as I have a budget to stick to. I was looking at some of the cheaper ones though. Thanks for the suggestions.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Idea For future flights....They sell alarms like this that only admit a LOUD beeping noise Only when the joy sticks have not been moved for a few minutes(like after a crash). I've used them in the past to locate downed RC planes, and they work.
>>

OP
OP
graywoulf

graywoulf

Greenie
Dec 3, 2021
Wilkes County, NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Other
Idea For future flights....They sell alarms like this that only admit a LOUD beeping noise Only when the joy sticks have not been moved for a few minutes(like after a crash). I've used them in the past to locate downed RC planes, and they work.
>>

Thanks for the suggestion. I had no problem finding my quad as I install a Hellgate Buzzer on each one (size permitting). Standard buzzers on all of my micro quads as well. The GoPro has Wifi built into it but it has to be turned on for file transfers. That did not help. The 3D printed GoPro mount broke loose which was my fault for securing it with one zip tie. My replacement GoPro now uses a tether cable clipped to the quad.

Reactions: RTR

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the suggestion. I had no problem finding my quad as I install a Hellgate Buzzer on each one (size permitting). Standard buzzers on all of my micro quads as well. The GoPro has Wifi built into it but it has to be turned on for file transfers. That did not help. The 3D printed GoPro mount broke loose which was my fault for securing it with one zip tie. My replacement GoPro now uses a tether cable clipped to the quad.
Attach one to the camera + the drone

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope you find it.Been there,did that,and it ain't fun . Or cheap

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found many things for people,and myself. Most of the time items are never found where they were thought to have been lost.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK I have a few quest=ions.
1. Were you able to watch camera while in flight.
2, What distance from the structure it hit to where you found the copter ?
3. How tall is the grass between the two places.
4, Do you have access to another gopro of the same model ?
5. If you have access to the same model . Place it on the ground there and back the sensitivity off till you can only hear the camera..
If you need more ideas you can phone me or vice versa,. Send me your phone number in A pm

Keep us all posted !!1

Gary

OP
OP
graywoulf

graywoulf

Greenie
Dec 3, 2021
Wilkes County, NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Other
OK I have a few quest=ions.
1. Were you able to watch camera while in flight.
2, What distance from the structure it hit to where you found the copter ?
3. How tall is the grass between the two places.
4, Do you have access to another gopro of the same model ?
5. If you have access to the same model . Place it on the ground there and back the sensitivity off till you can only hear the camera..
If you need more ideas you can phone me or vice versa,. Send me your phone number in A pm

Keep us all posted !!1

Gary
Thanks for the questions. I will answer them in the same order.
1. The quad has it's own FPV cam that I was watching from. Unfortunately I did not record that cam view.
2. Approximately 15 feet.
3. Look at the picture that I attached to see the grass. The quad hit the building somewhere in the area that is shown and I found the quad pretty much straight across from that corner of the building.
4. Yes, I have another just like it.
5. I did do that on the first try. I used the all metal setting while placing the camera down through the tallest grass and making adjustments. Seems that there is a lot of metal in the ground in that area. At least the camera would not be buried in the ground if it is in that area. But as Tony in SC pointed out, it could be anywhere.

Thank you for your offer for a phone consutation. I will keep it in mind.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lay your other camera in the grass near the crash. Back the seensitivity down till you can just her the camera. Then it should be easy . GOOD LUCK

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread