How to find gold rings?

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would like to improve chances in finding gold rings--only found 1 in 8 years of MD'ing. I've dug THOUSANDS of pull tabs and scrap metal/junk--so frustrating. I live in Southern Arizona and use a Garrett AT-Pro. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated....or maybe the gold rings just aren't out there!! Thanks ahead of time.. Curtis.

Upvote 2

camichael

May 29, 2020
La Verne, Calif
Detector(s) used
White's, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Switch to water my friend. Digging in the dirt isn't the best way to find gold rings. I've been retired for 18 years now and the first year I found over 220 gold pieces (rings earrings chains crosses....). The gold have been going down ever since then. Last year I only found 6 pieces (pandemic didn't help). Try researching old swimming holes... talk to the old timers in your area... Best of luck!

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think of where people do throwing or swinging their arms, ball fields jogging or walking trails and swimming areas are good also because swimming causes your hands too shrink up and rings to fall off. Another good area can be tot-lots as Mom or Dad are picking kids up their rings can fall off because clothing snags on them. Also look for areas where people would pic-nic, beside ball fields because sometimes they take off the rings and necklaces to go out and play then forget the rings and other jewelry was on the blanket they had laid out to sit on, and when they pack up to leave, the rings and such end up in the grass. But look for shady areas because most people won't sit in the direct sun.

Hookedondetecting

Jul 18, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro COMPADRE and Mohave
ORX and Deus II
Fisher F 75 LTD "2"
Minelab 600
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All my gold finds were beach related.
Just like Back-of-the-boat said, laid them down on a towel - forgot, packed up and went home
Then some in the water.
Found more silver rings inland.
Lately finding Tungsten type rings at the beach.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There,s a Youtube guy Metal Detecting East Texas with Kevin.he,s a ring finding fool.He,s very forthcoming about his techniques and settings and where he hunts.No excess verbiage,just the facts M,aam. In his earlier vids he uses the ATPro,but lately he,s switched to a Nox 600.Try him out,may be just what you want.

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems to be about luck more than anything. Gold comes off in the pull tab range. So you have to dig those which is a pain but part of what you have to deal with. I've only found two gold rings within like 15 years of metal detecting. Along with luck and understanding human behavior and location that's how you'd approach finding gold rings and such

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not going to find gold rings until you put your coil over a gold ring. You also will not find gold rings if you discriminate out or don't dig pull tabs either.

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
A few suggestions... I actually had some good success over 10 years ago with my DFX... DIg all nickel signals... watch for those low vdi numbers and pulltabs numbers...even if you do not want to dig them all.. randomly dig say one out of 4 or 5... worked for me...
Also get any strange numbers dig them...

But since coming back in the hobby I notice a lot less of everything...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread