How To Help Prevent Water Leakage Into The Coil, Connectors And Electronics

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Sometimes the laws of physics are at play without us even being aware of them. For instance, if you take a plastic sealed container, put a small pin hole in it and submerge it hot water, you will notice shortly that air bubbles will start to leak out under pressure, simply because the inside temp is warming up, causing a positive pressure.

Now reverse the conditions. Warm the plastic container up, and place it in cold water. What happens? The cooling of the temperature caused a low pressure or vacuum to appear inside the container, and in order to reach an equilibrium, it sucked in water.

Watch how hot your equipment is before you submerge it in cold water. A metal detector in the car trunk or in the car with the sun shining on it will cause it to get extremely hot. By putting it in the cold water, you are causing a tremendous amount of vacuum to be produced as the the inside of the coil, connector or electronics box tries to reach an equilibrium of pressure. Create enough vacuum in the coil, connector, splicing, electronics and you might get some leakage. Please......cool your equipment off before suddenly submerging it in cold water. This is true for all makes and models of detectors. Although leaks can occur for many other reasons, this should surely help. :)

Attachments

• appliedphysics.jpg
    appliedphysics.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 253

Kayaker

Dec 27, 2010
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
John, this is EXCELLENT advice! :icon_thumright: I'm aware of the hot/cold air volume effect and have demonstrated it to my kids while washing out plastic water and soda bottles... but I never thought of how it would impact a "waterproof" detector or coil.

On my AT Pro, I bet that submersing it straight from the trunk would suck in water through the battery pack door, fairly easily.... and most likely through the headphone and coil connectors too, if the temperature difference was great enough.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You all are doing it wrong, my detectors ride up front with me in the AC, company rides in the trunk......

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Treasure_Hunter said:
You all are doing it wrong, my detectors ride up front with me in the AC, company rides in the trunk......
And how it should be...............

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get a can of pickup truck bed coating and spray down your coils. It will waterproof and protect your coil from ground scraping damage. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread