How to properly measure bullets.

OP
OP
M
May 9, 2022
I am new to the hobby,can someone tell me how to measure with a digital caliper?
I am weighing my bullets with a digital scale set to kilograms.
Attached are some bullets that I found as well as their weight.

Thanks in advance.
Side View Bullets.jpg
Bottom View Bullets.jpg

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new to the hobby,can someone tell me how to measure with a digital caliper?
I am weighing my bullets with a digital scale set to kilograms.
Attached are some bullets that I found as well as their weight.

Thanks in advance. View attachment 2026578 View attachment 2026579
Bullet weights are more often expressed in Grains. Length and diameter measurement should be self explanatory and listed in inches and or thousandths.Such as 1.560 inch long and a diameter of .452 inch. A deformed bullet can still yield a usable diameter by measuring the shank below the deformity. Some foreign bullet diameters are expressed in Millimeters,as 6.5 mm,easily converted to .264 inch. Length is the distance between the point and base,diameter the widest point of the shank. Bullet nomenclature can be confusing but this should get you started.

OP
OP
M
May 9, 2022
Like I said I am a newbie.

Any recomendations on a scale that measures in grains?
Also, by looking at the bullets what do they look like to you?
Would you have any recomendations on how to identify bullets?

Thanks

Travel240z

Greenie
Dec 16, 2018
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Equinox 600, Previous detectors were the Garrett AT series
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reloading scales are all in grains. Or you could convert grams to grains. Your best bet would be to pick up a reloading book as they generally have all the calibers and grains listed. The ABCs for reloading would be a good one to start with.

OP
OP
M
May 9, 2022
Reloading scales are all in grains. Or you could convert grams to grains. Your best bet would be to pick up a reloading book as they generally have all the calibers and grains listed. The ABCs for reloading would be a good one to start with.
The pictures of my bullets are all filled with lead.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What you have appear to be modern metal jacketed pistol target bullets. Measuring would determine, if .45, 9mm, .38 etc. I am sure there are many books on bullets and cartridges, check Amazon, or some of the online used book stores.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The subject of bullets is multi faceted. Modern bullets,Civil War bullets,military bullets, a never ending panoply. It,s difficult to pick out one or two books that covers it all.For modern bullets any of the main makers of reloading bullets put out manuals that give detailed descriptions of the bullets they make,a good start would be to get a Hornady manual. The Lyman manual is a good one and covers the subject of cast lead bullets too.Many books on Civil War bullets,another subject all to itself. The makers of ammunition have charts and such that describe their products in detail. Remington,Winchester,Federal,several others will send you this if requested.These are often available at gun shops too for free. There are many sellers of reloading equipment on the web.Search and peruse their offerings.The NRA has a great many historical books covering ammo and bullets. Jump in and go to it.It,s fascinating!

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like I said I am a newbie.

Any recomendations on a scale that measures in grains?
Also, by looking at the bullets what do they look like to you?
Would you have any recomendations on how to identify bullets?

Thanks
Any reloading supply dealer and many gun shops have scales,simple balance scales are inexpensive and accurate.You can spend as much as you want on a scale but the simple ones are very good. Most of the scales that folks use to weigh their gold and silver ring finds will weigh in Grains as well as grams or ounces,Available on Amazon,what isn,t? As has been said your bullets look like modern gilding metal jacketed pistol bullets.Commonly referred to as FMJ or Full Metal Jacket,maybe a couple of JHP,jacketed hollow point.The JHP usually don,t have exposed lead at the base. I,d hazard a guess that you have 9mm,maybe 32 auto,45 ACP, and a couple 44 Magnum or 44 Special.maybe 45 long Colt. Wild ass guess,so don,t quote me if I,m wrong. The little scale I use for rings is a Fuzion brand,from Amazon,cost me about 20.00 bucks plus shipping.It weighs in Grains,Grams,and Troy and Regular ounces.

DWerk

Oct 18, 2020
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Whites V3i, AT Pro, Deus 1, Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You appear to be in Montana, go to any store that sells guns and reloading equipment. They will have the books you are looking for, will show you the proper way to use digital calipers and digital scales (note: most can be changed to weigh either grains or grams on the same scale).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread