📗 How to use the Banner Finds system on the new software.

JohnDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Banner Finds system on the new software is a bit different than the old system. This thread should hopefully show you how the new system works. On the new system there is no need to nominate a post. Instead, we simply use the number of "Votes" on the post, or the number of positive reactions (Likes, etc.). Some banner finds come in categories other than Today's Finds and My Best Finds. In that situation simply vote with a positive reaction (Again, Likes).

📋 The rules for the section can be found in this thread: Banner Finds Rules

banner-finds1.jpg

In the above image you can see an area to create a thread. Make note that it does say ⚠️ Make your first attachment the image you want to be used as the thumbnail! ⚠️ The thread view page uses the first attachment to create the thumbnail, and it will also be the image that shows up in the Banner Finds carousel. So this is pretty important.

Once you've created your thread, other users will be able to vote on it.

banner-finds3.jpg

The particular post above is already a Banner Finds recipient. Off to the right you can see the green strip with 88 votes. You can vote on a thread either by clicking the up arrow above the number or by giving any positive reaction. If you like the post, you'll see the counter go up.

The old system used the "Report Post" function, please do not use that here. Simply voting on the find is all that is necessary. In some other sections of the site, you'll notice that we don't have any voting system. It's only enabled on a couple of sections. In the other sections, like the post with the "Banner Finds" icon if you can, otherwise any other positive like will also count towards the vote.

If you hover your mouse over the number of votes, you'll see a black line underneath show up. If you click on that line you can see who has voted 🗳️ on the thread. If you click too high on the number, it's the same as clicking on the vote button. You can add or remove your vote at any time, but we'd prefer if you did not do that.

Hope this small tutorial will help you in using the new Banner Finds system.

Last edited:
Upvote 12

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It appears that banners are still at the discretion of the mods. The number of votes means nothing. You should just take this post down.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It appears that banners are still at the discretion of the mods. The number of votes means nothing. You should just take this post down.
As stated many times banners are based on more than just votes, they are based on votes, rarity, pictures posted, the story with find and how they look on the banner.

Finds must be significant, and plausible.

Finds / posts must be RECENT.
Images must be hosted on the TreasureNet server.

Posts with great stories are more likely to be selected.

If the post is one of the members first posts, it is less likely to be selected.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As stated many times banners are based on more than just votes, they are based on votes, rarity, pictures posted, the story with find and how they look on the banner.

Finds must be significant, and plausible.

Finds / posts must be RECENT.
Images must be hosted on the TreasureNet server.

Posts with great stories are more likely to be selected.

If the post is one of the members first posts, it is less likely to be selected.
Sorry, I was misled by this in the original post:
On the new system there is no need to nominate a post. Instead, we simply use the number of "Votes" on the post, or the number of positive reactions (Likes, etc.).

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, I was misled by this in the original post:
On the new system there is no need to nominate a post. Instead, we simply use the number of "Votes" on the post, or the number of positive reactions (Likes, etc.).
Correct, on the new software the votes are recorded and only allows one banner vote per member. Click once it is banner vote, click it again and it removes your banner vote, under old system members would vote multiple times and mods had to go through the votes eliminating the duplicate votes.

Another thing that can affect banner is members campaigning to get banner, it is like someone campaigning for the Nobel Peace award.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Correct, on the new software the votes are recorded and only allows one banner vote per member. Click once it is banner vote, click it again and it removes your banner vote, under old system members would vote multiple times and mods had to go through the votes eliminating the duplicate votes.

Another thing that can affect banner is members campaigning to get banner, it is like someone campaigning for the Nobel Peace award.
So, if I click on LIKE, it is automatically recorded as a Banner vote?
I might "like" a post, but that doesn't mean I feel like it is banner worthy :icon_scratch:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, if I click on LIKE, it is automatically recorded as a Banner vote?
I might "like" a post, but that doesn't mean I feel like it is banner worthy :icon_scratch:
Banner votes only work on threads that have the green bar on the right side of the opening post of thread, the thumbs-up icon at bottom of posts is simply "likes".

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner votes only work on threads that have the green bar on the right side of the opening post of thread, the thumbs-up icon at bottom of posts is simply "likes".
Sorry, but a thumbs-up at the bottom of a post is not simply a "like". Every thumbs-up will increase the number of votes on the green bar by one. If you don't believe me, try it yourself.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, but a thumbs-up at the bottom of a post is not simply a "like". Every thumbs-up will increase the number of votes on the green bar by one. If you don't believe me, try it yourself.
Only on threads with the green bar on the first thread, if the first thread has no green bar then a like is just a like, and any post after the original post of a thread with green bar is just a like, banner votes only count on the original opening post.

Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only on threads with the green bar on the first thread, if the first thread has no green bar then a like is just a like, and any post after the original post of a thread with green bar is just a like, banner votes only count on the original opening post.

Sorry if I wasn't clear.
Sorry to drag this out, but back to the point I was trying to make.
If you give a thumbs up like to someone's find, you are giving them a banner vote even if you don't feel the find is banner worthy

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to drag this out, but back to the point I was trying to make.
If you give a thumbs up like to someone's find, you are giving them a banner vote even if you don't feel the find is banner worthy
Not a problem, if you want to give them a like and not a banner vote then just do a👍

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is an interesting discussion.
I notice that all threads started in the Today’s Finds sub forum have a ”green” line on the right side.
So if I just “like” it I am voting for it to be a Banner Find?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just gave a the first post in a thread a “thumbs up” and it showed up as a Like for a Banner Find?
Need more info, was it the opening post of a thread, can you give me a hot link or thread title and post number.

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need more info, was it the opening post of a thread, can you give me a hot link or thread title and post number.
It is Joe Dirt’s Campaign Pin thread, I just “liked” the find and it increased the Banner count in the green area.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you need to do a reply with a thumb up emoji?
Only on threads with green banner on first post of thread, yes.

As example, in "Today's finds" all likes on the original post of thread are tracked as banner votes.
Works this way in Today's Finds, Metal Detecting, beach and shallow water, all the subforums of Artifacts section.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is Joe Dirt’s Campaign Pin thread, I just “liked” the find and it increased the Banner count in the green area.
If you give like on the original opening post of thread in today's finds it registers as a banner vote, works the same in Today's Finds, Metal Detecting, beach and shallow water, all the subforums of Artifacts section.

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you give like on the original opening post of thread in today's finds it registers as a banner vote, works the same in Today's Finds, Metal Detecting, beach and shallow water, all the subforums of Artifacts section.
OK, I think I get it now, thanks!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread