how value a collection of inherited coins in a coffee can?

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this lady wants to sell me a coffee can furl of inherited silver coins.

should I just offer her the blue book value depending on the condition of each coin?

Would that be fair to both of us?

John

I would add all those values up. Then remove a percentage for making a large one time purchase of all the coins for her. Otherwise its a lot of legwork to sell each coin to try and get those values. So you should get incentive to buy everything by having a slightly lower price.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
99% likely that you will be buying common 90% silver coins. You should do a quick search and separate those that would be AU or have actual Numismatic value (Maybe there are full date SLQ(s); Full Liberty Barber(s); Seated(s)). Stand tall on the remainder with a 10x face offer. The other select coins go ahead and offer blue book or other mutually agreed upon price.

The driving factor shouldn't be for what profit you can flip the coins for in the short term. But the motivation is to acquire coins that have not reached the market in decades and to be a stand-up guy.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
First I would take a good look inventory of what's in the can, don't offer her any $ blind. On everything below AU or an MS63 grade go at 10x FV, any exceptionally high grades go a conservative 1-grade below of what you grade it as, then BLUE BOOK VALUE.
However, only if YOU want them in your collection inventory, or just as junk silver. There is a difference. And, could you afford them without putting a drain in your cash., or do you plan on flipping the coins.
I had a similar situation last year ( see my mid year post ) of where I gave an in depth grade to about 80 Morgan's, Peace, ASE coins, turned out that they graded so high that I couldn't even afford them at BLUE BOOK.

Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Weight the can and offer melt value

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
OP
OP
pulltabfelix

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
99% likely that you will be buying common 90% silver coins. You should do a quick search and separate those that would be AU or have actual Numismatic value (Maybe there are full date SLQ(s); Full Liberty Barber(s); Seated(s)). Stand tall on the remainder with a 10x face offer. The other select coins go ahead and offer blue book or other mutually agreed upon price.

The driving factor shouldn't be for what profit you can flip the coins for in the short term. But the motivation is to acquire coins that have not reached the market in decades and to be a stand-up guy.

Basically for my collection as a hobby/investment. Also want to be totally fair with these people since they live close buy and know my friends. No matter, I want to be fair with anyone. I had a good boss many years ago, he said: any deal that is not a fair deal to both parties is not a good deal. And I agree.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Pull tab: I whole heartedly agree with your FAIRNESS ATTITUDE to offering a fair & square deal. Your being HONEST in every way. Congrats to you and your logical thinking.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I Agree! :"any deal that is not a fair deal to both parties is not a good deal." :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread