HUGE Bucket Lister : 1845 Seated Half !!!

ScaredOfClowns

Apr 21, 2012
Bucks County, PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 / Garrett AT Pro / Garrett ProPointer, Garrett ProPointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today a hunting buddy took me to a local schoolyard that I hadn't been to before. After about three hours of hunting with only clad, a token, a foreign coin and a whole lot trash to show for it, I was getting ready to call it a day. I was making my way towards a ball field when I got a high tone signal (33 on my Nox). I had been getting a lot of these high tones all day and they were always junk, so I almost skipped this one - I'm glad I didn't.

I cut a plug, dug about 8 inches down and poured the dirt on my drop cloth. The coin was covered in dirt, but I saw the silver reeded edge immediately. The coin looked too big, I didn't know what it was at first. I carefully rinsed the dirt off with some water, saw the seated liberty on the front and then just about lost my mind.

1845 Seated Half - Both Sides.jpg 1845 Seated Half - In the Hole.jpg

It's an 1845 Seated Liberty Half Dollar - a HUGE bucket lister for me. I still can hardly believe I found it.

It's a shame it's stained from being in the ground for 150+ years, because the details on this coin are in really terrific shape. (This photo shows the coin lit from one side to highlight the details - don't worry, I've only rinsed it with water).

1845 Seated Half - Lit from Side.jpg

I called my buddy over to see it and he was as excited as I was (and also a little jealous, which made the find even sweeter). I definitely owe him a couple of beers for bringing me to this site.

Thanks for looking - HH!

Upvote 39

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today a hunting buddy took me to a local schoolyard that I hadn't been to before. After about three hours of hunting with only clad, a token, a foreign coin and a whole lot trash to show for it, I was getting ready to call it a day. I was making my way towards a ball field when I got a high tone signal (33 on my Nox). I had been getting a lot of these high tones all day and they were always junk, so I almost skipped this one - I'm glad I didn't.

I cut a plug, dug about 8 inches down and poured the dirt on my drop cloth. The coin was covered in dirt, but I saw the silver reeded edge immediately. The coin looked too big, I didn't know what it was at first. I carefully rinsed the dirt off with some water, saw the seated liberty on the front and then just about lost my mind.

View attachment 1985804 View attachment 1985805

It's an 1845 Seated Liberty Half Dollar - a HUGE bucket lister for me. I still can hardly believe I found it.

It's a shame it's stained from being in the ground for 150+ years, because the details on this coin are in really terrific shape. (This photo shows the coin lit from one side to highlight the details - don't worry, I've only rinsed it with water).

View attachment 1985806

I called my buddy over to see it and he was as excited as I was (and also a little jealous, which made the find even sweeter). I definitely owe him a couple of beers for bringing me to this site.

Thanks for looking - HH!
Awesome!!! Congrats!!!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great condition! I'd be dipping that beauty in some Jeweluster/Ezest if it were me. I'd rather have them shiny than with blotchy stains, but, that's just a matter of taste.

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 1985804 View attachment 1985805

View attachment 1985806

Thanks for looking - HH!
Congratulations on your beautiful recovery well Done

NZ49er

Apr 3, 2018
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great details on that coin. What a beaut!

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Big Congrats,

That's a great looking coin.

Jer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread