Huge First For Me: Quarter Cut Spanish 8 Reales!

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Between being so busy and all of the other craziness of this world, I have not been out digging in two months. I was long over due for some dirt therapy. So Thursday evening I saw an opportunity to drop everything and get in a swing or two. So I headed down the road with my youngest daughter to a spot I have been researching to be a possible Civil War camp. There was part of the old road that runs through the property, but it's long gone and grown over with grass. I started on a small rise in the field and found a flat button right away. I thought this was a good sign and dug a fired bullet next. I worked the area slowly and found another flat button and two pewter spoon bowls. It's now getting dark and the bugs are in full force when I got a nice quarter signal on my Etrac. I was expecting a clad quarter as I pinpointed the target pretty shallow in the plug. I busted into the clod and out pops a cut piece of something that I was sure hoping to be my first cut piece of Spanish silver. The excitement grew as I was getting enough light from the full moon to verify I had just dug a huge first. I high five my little girl as I told her that this was a special find for me, and she knows those kind of finds means a stop for ice cream on the way home so she was just as excited as me. After trying to get a good picture of it in the dark, I looked around for just a little bit more and found another smashed piece of lead and a very old padlock. The bugs were telling us to leave and I was ready to get home right after the stop for ice cream. It wasn't until after cleaning it up and comparing it to a half dollar and a silver dollar that I realized I had a quarter cut piece of an 8 Reales! I never thought I would dig one of these. I've only found one Real back eight years ago and these just don't come up often around here. I still don't know if I found part of the Civil War camp or an old home site. Either way I will be back to look around soon. HH Dave

aUucah2.jpg

9JJSNoj.jpg

bYVCy1a.jpg

yCXsaTK.jpg

WCp0NxR.jpg

Upvote 56

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, nothing like a piece of eight. Congrats.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the cut Spanish. Even better it's from an 8 reale. You are on a sweet 18th century house site. Good luck on your next hunt there.

wlb42

Dec 4, 2011
Florida
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Whites TRX Pinpointer, Whites MX5, Bounty Hunter 3300 Discovery, Whites Coinmaster Pro, Whites Quantum 2, Whites 6000, Whites 6DB, Whites Beachcomber.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey, Sooper Dave - NICE FIND - and I can relate to your "first for me, quarter cut spanish 8 reales". Because I also have found a "first and only for ME a 1/2 Real Spanish Cob" that is undated from the 1600's(my avatar). AND you can tell your daughter this; It was found by me in a local Florida city park just a few hundred feet from a local "well known" historical site; SPANISH MISSION that existed from 1633 and later a FORT in 1656 and lasted until burnt to the ground by the British in 1704 during the Spanish/British War to gain "La Florida" from Spain.

My daughter (graduated from FSU) was a state of Florida Archaeologist that worked on that SPANISH MISSION & FORT site for over 20 years that helped to survey and excavate artifacts from the old Fort site during 1998-2002 - AND then an exact "replica" of the period FORT & Blockhouse was rebuilt and is currently a tourist attraction for this area now. Anyway here is a picture (obverse & reverse) of mine below - Thanks for looking........BILL
1668-1697 half real mexico city mint (1).JPG 1668-1697 half real (1).JPG

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/m...und-few-years-ago-1668-1697-1-2-real-cob.html

Last edited:

OhioTrevor

Jan 2, 2020
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations. What a great experience to share with your daughter!

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm celebrating for you with a vanilla milk shake! Good researching!

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great find! Thanks for sharing with us, and Congratulations! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Research does pay-off, there's your proof Dave! :notworthy:
What a beautiful find and you were rewarded with ice cream for your efforts too. :laughing7:

Dave

Thanks! Silver for me ice cream for her. Was a good night!

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful! And glad your daughter was there to enjoy it with you.

Thank you! Yeah she always bring me good luck. I have made some good finds with her lately.

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the silver!

''very old padlock''

Yes, 18th C.

Thanks! Yeah very old for me not so much for your area. This stuff is modern to you.

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big Congratulations Dave! That is a remarkable find. Given that I've never found a " cut" anything (unless we're counting shredded beer cans), I'm also pretty jealous. I'll bet the icecream tasted great that night. Inquiring minds want to know: What flavor goes with cut Spanish silver? Well done!

Thanks! She is pretty simple and enjoys a good vanilla.

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the find. Nice looking details on your find.

Don't know much about them so I did a search for anyone interested.
The design on yours matches the "Milled Bust type" which were minted 1771-1825. Yours was minted in Mexico judging by the M next to the Crown, which narrows the date on yours to 1771-1821 based on this site. LINK .

And without giving up too much info what state are you in (other than the state of euphoria!:laughing7: )

Thanks for the great info! I mainly stay in a state of confusion but live in Tennessee.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread