Huge New Issue With The Bark Notes.

OldManOfTheRiver

Jun 15, 2018
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Wayne has been digitizing the Bark Notes and I really haven't reviewed them in years but did a few days ago. Something struck me and I was wondering what the community here thought specifically about the Two Soldiers portion of the notes. You can find the link here.

"Mason told them to go up to the King and report to the foreman, Bob Bowen, and he would put them to work. One of them put his hand in his coat pocket, pulled out a handfull of nuggets and asked Mason what that was. He told them it was gold, and they said, "Oh, you are fooling." Mason told them that they could trade it in at the company store up at the King for sixty dollars and ounce for anything in the store."

So upon reflection we were on the gold standard then. Gold was roughly 20 dollars an ounce so why did Aaron Mason offer to pay them 60/ounce of gold in their ore? It makes absolutely no sense to me and I've spent the better part of 24 hours on and off thinking and researching gold prices during the 1870's and it was remarkably stable except in sort of, kind of trading in the Gold Room in New York where the infamous Black Friday of '69 was promulgated.

So why would Mason offer the two soldiers three times the going value for their ore? This casts new doubts on the veracity of the story to me even if the supposed one soldier was exhumed and reburied.

Can someone tell me with some level of confidence that gold was trading at that price because an almost one ounce 20 twenty dollar gold piece in 1875 was 20.00! I also have new questions into just how many ounces one can fit in a mason jar and whether it was refined ore from the assay they did?!, or did they crush and seperate it or not or was it just cobbed ore? If it was just ore then why offer even 20.00/ounce for the samples?

This is driving me crazy and is such a glaring affront to common sense that I can't believe no one has brought it up before.

dredgernaut

Dec 27, 2012
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
whites mxt, tesoro lobo super trac., monster1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you could probably fit at least 50 oz. of nuggets in a mason jar, maybe he had large nuggets and figuring it weighed 3 oz. ish, it would be worth 60 bucks.. just a thought.. most likely wrong.. lol

OP
OP
OldManOfTheRiver

OldManOfTheRiver

Jun 15, 2018
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
you could probably fit at least 50 oz. of nuggets in a mason jar, maybe he had large nuggets and figuring it weighed 3 oz. ish, it would be worth 60 bucks.. just a thought.. most likely wrong.. lol

Well that's a logical way to look at it dredger. You may be correct. Maybe it got embellished and there was 60 bucks worth of ore that they could at the store for outfitting and etc.

60 an ounce is just insanely high. It doesn't add up. Lol. Hope you are well man.

Lets see. $60 in store credit total but then they went and spent $80 or four ounces worth on getting outfitted. Then, per the Bark Notes, despite being claimed there was $800 in ore in the mason jar that Mason put in the safe, there was $300 worth or 15 ounces that was never claimed because the two soldiers never returned.

I just don't know. How do simple stories get so freaking convoluted......

Something is lost here in the notes for sure. It just doesn't add up but your posit makes some headway in maybe clearing that up a bit.

OP
OP
OldManOfTheRiver

OldManOfTheRiver

Jun 15, 2018
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
LOL No different than today. " Mason told them that they could trade it in at the company store up at the King for sixty dollars and ounce for anything in the store."

Try to sell your deer hide at the leather shop. You can get $3 or $20 store credit.
Ahh!

Perhaps so! Store credit vs selling it. That still seems VERY generous of Mason but that too makes sense. Oh jeez I am gonna be splitting hairs on this all night again. Lol. I like where you are going with this man. That could be the ticket for me to resolve this or perhaps blend both of these together and think on it. I really like the store credit idea. That makes a LOT of sense.

:thumbsup::BangHead:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread