HUGE PROBLEM WITH YOUR METAL DETECTOR IS IMMINENT!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There has been a huge X class solar flare emanating from the sun in the last 24 hours or so. This can cause any metal detector to get excessive chatter on their machine over the next 36 hours or so, and if you're LUCKY you can have a power outage (I had three), and TONIGHT go outside after dark and look for the aurora borealis. Bring your camera! These solar flares cause HUGE EMI! Dealers across the country are getting complaints from folks about EMI on their machines. Thanks to Metalarchsc here on Tnet for bringing this up to me. Check out Spaceweather.com if you want the grimy details.

Dugk44

Greenie
Oct 26, 2020
Connecticut (NW)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There has been a huge X class solar flare emanating from the sun in the last 24 hours or so. This can cause any metal detector to get excessive chatter on their machine over the next 36 hours or so, and if you're LUCKY you can have a power outage (I had three), and TONIGHT go outside after dark and look for the aurora borealis. Bring your camera! These solar flares cause HUGE EMI! Dealers across the country are getting complaints from folks about EMI on their machines. Thanks to Metalarchsc here on Tnet for bringing this up to me. Check out Spaceweather.com if you want the grimy details.
I thought the deus was just drunk this afternoon... explains a lot. Thanks!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was out detecting today check a cleared spot and threw a Penny and dime down The penny came in at 89 the dime 91. Later on i was getting chatter so i check for a clear spot and threw the dime and penny down. There i got a 39 on the pen ny and a 41 on the dime. Could this be from the sun (Deus 2)

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gare, yup, the sun gotcha! I am going out very shortly, will be dark and look for the auroras!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could not see an aurora. Lots of stars though. Very pretty.

uhfradarwill

Mar 20, 2022
Barre, MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab:
Sovereign GT
Equinox

Tesoro:
Comparde
I work for MIT and we run 2 mega watt radars to study space weather. It is true a CME is hitting us now!!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, they do levitate. I'll go check outside one more time. Storms moving through in the am.

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
Absolutely. Minelab PIs go nuts with solar flare activity. You'd be out on a clear sky day, detector going stupid, change freq, ok, then nuts....solar flares. They also do it with lightening strikes up to 500km away. Always knew when storms were coming.
Funnily, VLFs not so much flares but lightening within 100km.
This though. VLFs hunting gold always seem to spark up signal wise on gold with incoming lightening. True. Experienced a lot. PIs, go home, VLFs hang in there till it gets close.

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you can catch the Coronal Mass Ejection just at the correct time, the gold coins actually levitate 6" above the ground. After the CME, the burry themselves again as close to iron as they can!!
Since my Bachelors is in Physics I really appreciate the astrophysics jokes. Thank you for sharing!
- Brian

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Single frequency is not as subject to that kind of EMI.

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Now THAT is a new one for me!!
May explain why my wife won't get near my metal detector...or me.
She keeps away from anything that has to do with an ejection!

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Given that my ground is not only rock hard frozen but also snow and ice covered, the potential that I can weather a solar flare is pretty good.

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Single frequency is not as subject to that kind of EMI.
Smokey, it's funny you say that - I was out detecting on Wednesday afternoon and with my Equinox I was getting EMI at a new property, so I assumed it was the power lines at the street or the underground line to the house. So I went to the car and switched to the Deus 1, and while there was a little EMI I was able to make it manageable by doing a minor frequency shift.
I'm so glad you pointed this CME out so I had a more accurate explanation.

(BTW I found a shield nickel, but not much more on Wednesday)
IMG_1247.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread