paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seriously, never though I would dig one of these in a million years. Certainly not in Massachusetts of all places! I was at an old 1750's house and after a couple dozen of the usual late 18th to late 19th century targets I finally get a big old copper tone and in the plug is a fat green rim. Looked a lot like a George I halfpenny before the dirt came off, but nope:

Roman.jpg

1700 year old Roman Coin!!! That Maine penny has nothing on this; someone phone National Geographic! :laughing7:

Yeah I know, more recent loss, but still shocking to see out of the soil. It's in superb shape too. It was on a hillside and the soil was almost pure sand so what little patina is on there may be from the original burial over in Europe.

DSC09777.JPG DSC09778.JPG

Granted I'm far from an expert in Roman coins but I believe it's Constantine the Great and then on the reverse is Genius standing left, holding a patera and cornucopia. All the lettering is well struck and bold except for the mintmark, which figures. I think it's ALE for Alexandria but it really is nearly completely missing. I haven't been able to find an exact match for this issue and stranger still is that "POPVLI" has an extra "O" making "POPOVLI." Ancient typo? :dontknow:

I'm pretty sure this was a souvenir brought back from WWII. Not even two feet away I found a child's pewter army man and the person who lived at this house between the 1930's and 1980's served in the army during WWII. He passed away in 1992 so I'm still trying to find his exact service history but if he participated in the Liberation of Italy (or really anywhere in the European theater) then it's a good bet that he picked it up for his kid and the kid dropped it in the yard some time later. At any rate, a find of a lifetime for a New England detectorist and in fantastic shape to boot! I expect this will be a good conversation piece for years to come. :laughing7:

Any further insight into the coin itself would be appreciated, I gather that the bearded busts correspond to the earlier years of his rule, but I don't know if that's a firm rule or just a general one.

DSC09779.JPG

Upvote 43

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is awesome. Congrats Paleo. I had to buy my 1700 year old Roman coin lol.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's incredible. for sure something nobody would ever expect to find anywhere in the US

dieselfool

Dec 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Great find and unusual, to say the least.
I think you have it figured out as far as how it got here.

wagbert

Mar 29, 2008
Bronze Follis of Constantius, the Pale, father of Constantine, the Great. The mint letters are on the bottom of the reverse. My eyes aren't that good, but it looks like SMTS. TS was in Greece, maybe in Macedonia now. The city is mentioned in the
KJV Bible, visited by Paul I believe.
Nice ancient Roman coin !

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
https://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/constantius_I/i.html
It's actually Constantius I.

Great shape, but these larger coins often have better quality metal (bronze).

Denomination is a Follis.

F L VAL CONSTANTIVS NOB CAES, laureate head right

GENIO POPOVLI ROMANI, Genius standing left, pouring libation from patera and holding cornucopiae, star in left field, A in right of field.

The mint is hard to make out, might be:
HTS -
Heraclea ??

Last edited:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow, the verdigris on that ancient Roman coin is amazing Max! :o
I think you're probably right in your theory, "this was a souvenir brought back from WWII"... that is, unless the Romans beat the Pilgrims to
Plymouth.

Isn't that a Roman I see in the background waving at the painter? :laughing7:
Dave

Attachments

• 27silverman-mobileMasterAt3x.jpg
    27silverman-mobileMasterAt3x.jpg
    507.2 KB · Views: 64

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is an incredible, phenomenal find- Big time Congrats!!

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow ... how cool is that - look at how much money you saved on a trip to the UK ! :laughing7:

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!! Wonder how it made it there!! Cool!!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As Paleomaxx pointed out the extra 'O' I asked Cru'dad to search the books for this spelling & got the following:

'' As you stated the Obv legend is for Constantius I as Caesar but there are not many Genio types with FL VAL CONSTANTIVS NOB CAES as most end NOB C or are CONSTANTIVS NOB CAES.

Those with FL VAL & NOB CAES seem to be Eastern mints but none have a Reverse Genio with Star/Sun in left field. The western Trier mint has an A in left and a star in right fields. There has been no reverse from any mint in the RIC Vol VI where I have found a star in left field and A in right field. Furthermore, the mint mark is remarkably abraded in comparison with rest of coin text which is not unknown but strange for rest of text condition elsewhere on the Reverse. Exergue text seems to be ??IS which would be SISCIA mint and that does have an A in right field but no star/sun in left. Also, for Siscia only NOB C endings are used but there is an exergue *SIS mint mark.

So the unusual Obverse text for a Genio Populi Romani version along with the Reverse text extra ‘O’ and with the quality/edge shape of the coin I am not convinced this is an original but rather a reproduction not accurately aligned to an actual example unless it was an unrecorded sample as not all coins known are in RIC VI as latest edition I have is 2003.
In the outside chance that it is original then a proper expert would need to assess and record it.''

As there are some red flags, can you weight it? & take a picture of the edge?
Then we can make a further assessment, because it didn't scream modern copy to me, but needs further research.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, I hope it's genuine, but, it almost looks too good to be real!

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As there are some red flags, can you weight it? & take a picture of the edge?
Then we can make a further assessment, because it didn't scream modern copy to me, but needs further research.

Fascinating information; thank you! Still looking for my gram scale for the weight, but in the meantime here are photos of the edges. No trace of a mold seam that I can spot but let me know what you think:

DSC09782.JPG DSC09780.JPG DSC09781.JPG

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cru'dad's latest investigation:

'' I have found that for 1 year there was a */A in field of Siscia types minted in 301AD where the Exergue* of *SIS was moved into left field. Weight would be 10.5-8.5gm with 6 or 12O’C die axis. However this field set-up is only recorded for SACRA MONET etc types and the Obverse for that year was CONSTANTIVS NOB CAES with a FL VAL CONSTANTIVS NOB CAE (NO S END) was used on Siscia MONETA (not Genio) folles in 300AD but had no * in left field only in Exergue.

So if not contemporary or more modern imitation, this has an outside chance to be an error coin minted in Siscia circa 301AD especially if weight and die axis line up too.''

As it's so unusual & can't be matched with our library books Cru'dad has reached out to our British Museum contact for answers. It's going to be something unusual or a bust, we think. Fingers crossed.

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic finds. I can help you with your lead soldier. He is a Barclay Podfoot series prone machine gunner. Circa early 1950's-72. Cheers! Sub 8-)

OIP.x4lCTLMjOobCEKbZ218exQHaFj

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread