Humboldt County

S

stefen

I will be visiting Eureka during the latter part of September and the first week of October and plan to do some exporing around Ferndale and Centerville Beach. Also another undisclosed area for obvious reasons.

Additionally I will be spending some time at the Blue Ox Millworks with Erik and Vivianna.

Are there specific areas of interest where MDing would be a potential hot spot?

T

TreasureTales

Hey, I live in an adjoining county, so I have some ideas for you....but I think I might not want to divulge them just yet. Hmmm, what's in it for me????? Uhhhh, guess I shouldn't tease you!!!!! OK, nevermind. ;)

OP
OP
S

stefen

Joe,

Thanks for the info. In fact, I've been there and plan on going back this trip also. Will be renting a 4WD for the vacation since the road in is questionable at best.

Humboldt Gold is another by-product of the area and is probably the most accessible...generally found in remote canyons, usually near a stream or river...(and local malls and schools ;D)...

Regardless of which is found, Big Bro will have his hand out.

gldhntr,

Who me? ::)

T

TreasureTales

OK, as I posted on another thread, be sure to MD the parking area for the county fair in Ferndale. The parking area is actually a pasture and is hard to dig this time of year, but after a rain it should be easy. Maybe you'll get lucky and it will rain before you arrive.

Also, much of the Lost Coast is under state and/or federal jurisdiction. You might want to call ahead for info about MDing along the coastline.
Here's an interesting link, as well: http://www-db.stanford.edu/~crespo/lostcoast/

IF YOU CAMP ON THE BEACH...be careful. The tide can totally submerge some beaches that look like good campsites when the tide is out. And some high tides block the beach trail, making it impossible to continue until the tide goes out. I'm not telling you this to dampen your spirits but to forewarn you that this is a WILDERNESS AREA and as such it has some natural hazards that most people don't anticipate until they are there and unprepared. Otherwise, it's a beautiful area and late September should be a great time to go there. The gold coins are extremely rare. You might have better luck MDing if you visit some of the older parts of Eureka, Ferndale, Arcata and Fortuna. But treasure is where you find it, so go for it and GOOD LUCK. Sincerely hoping you'll post the whole story of your trip when you get the chance to do so in October. :)

S

sendin

Hi Stefen -

This is my first post and I've only been metal detecting a couple of times. I rode my recumbent bike from Ferndale to Salt Point back in May and I went thru the Lost Coast. It is a remote area as mentioned. I think many of the locations will be in State Lands and on private property. If you are camping you will need a bear resistant food container and a fire permit. I recommend stopping at the CA Dept Forestry office in Fortuna and tell them what you want to do. When I was there, the receptionist was very helpful and informative. That's where I got my fire permit in May.

Spend a little time in Ferndale and talk to the locals. Some of the old timers hang out in front of the small main street restaurants and also at the Pizza Parlor. When I was there ( 2 times this year ) I found the locals to be really friendly. I also heard a story of a local land owners giving tours to a painter friend of mine when I was up there in early July. A tour of the graveyard will give you an idea of the rich and long history of the area.

If I were you, I would plan on spending a day or two at Usal (extreme southern portion of the Lost Coast). This place has a really interesting history. Unfortunately, it is a campsite/park, but if you do some searching or PM me, you can get the phone # to check into getting permission to work it. Also, if you PM me I can give you a phone number of a really nice couple who rents their mother-in-law unit and her family goes pretty far back in Ferndale. We stayed there both times during our recent visits.

Frankly, you should spend most of your time around Ferndale, get to know a few people and see where that takes you. I think that would be more productive for the time spent unless you want to sight-see on the Lost Coast and are really intrigued by Usal.

Last but not least - there are some unsavory characters that can be encountered on the Lost Coast. Meth-heads etc. I had one encounter myself. If you are alone or even with a partner, be careful. Keep an eye on your vehicle. A tow truck out there will cost a fortune. I didn't even see a bear, but I wasn't right on the coast much and that is where most are reported.

I think you will have a great trip. It is a beautiful area. Denny

Attachments

• UsalSouth2sm.jpg
    UsalSouth2sm.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 2,433
OP
OP
S

stefen

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies. I've been to the area many times and have family and old school friends there. Cristina's sister and brother-in-law own the Blue Ox Millworks which is few blocks from the Old Town B & B that we are considering purchasing, so I will be restocking my wood supply also. If you have'nt had the opportunity to visit the mill, its a kick in the ass. They have a web site which is extremely interesting...might want to try it. www.blueoxmillworks.com

My sister is driving down from Anacordes Washington and brother is driving up from his sheep ranch lolcated just north of the coastal Sea Ranch. Kinda like a semi-annual reunion, of sorts.

Obviously, we will be relocating to this area in the near immediate near future. And as I stated, we are contemplating the purchase of the Old Town B & B in Eureka, however, in addition to possibly an 80 acre dairy in Ferndale.

The the primary reason for the trip is to meet with the various realtors and do some 1031 deals.

While there, I plan to take a little personal time, as I said, and to re-visit and do some exporing around Ferndale and Centerville Beach . Also another undisclosed area for obvious reasons.

Again, thanks.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also,

Stay out of those Humbolt Gold fields if you find them! The "farmers" may not be very polite!

I got a warning like that in Hawaii. Was staying in Waipio Valley on the Big Island, and the nice old lady (Linda Reeves) said "If you want to go exploring, stay by the river. If you go up on the valley sides, that's where they grow the weed, and lord knows what they'll do if they catch you in there!" ;D ;D

Needless to say, we didn't go up the valley sides!

Best,

Mike

OP
OP
S

stefen

Maybe Huel Howser, the host of California's Gold, can advise where the best by-product can be found :D

I'm sure...in fact I am positive, that I can go within a few houses and get a joint or possibly a lid.

Excuse me...I had to stop for a minute and cough...

WOW. Premium stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread