Hunted an 1823 house, scored some goodies and ID Help please

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My hunting partner David obtained permission for us to hunt a house down here on Cape Cod that was built in 1823. Nice, historic old home with a good sized yard, but much of it was new with thick, green grass. The front of the house had some work done recently and was pretty chewed up but huntable, as the dirt was tight and not the usual sandy soil the Cape is noted for. The right side had some nice old trees and shorter grass, so the front and right side were the main areas of focus.

Not long into the hunt in the front, the Nox hit a repeatable 20 - 21 and from just about 5 inches I popped a nice looking 1902 Indian. Only a few minutes later and still in front, I hit a repeatable 31 - 32, figured a piece of flashing as I was close to the foundation, and again maybe 5 inches down, I scored an 1827 large cent. The obverse is in rough shape but the reverse is nice. That was it for the front.

Over on the side, my first good signal was the button-looking piece and not far from it, I got a repeating 26 - 28, and pretty deep. I was down a good 8" and still didn't have it, but the pinpointer was sounding off loud- the next scoop and out came this incredible buckle.

I am no button or buckle expert, but I have never seen a buckle with the extra piece on the side- hoping someone can provide some info.

Thanks to David for scoring us this permission! We'll definitely return just before or after winter when the grass is shorter.

Enjoy the pics and best of luck with your hunts.

Attachments

• 1827o1cr.JPG
    1827o1cr.JPG
    271 KB · Views: 49
  • 1827r1cr.JPG
    1827r1cr.JPG
    316.1 KB · Views: 46
  • buckclose1cr.JPG
    buckclose1cr.JPG
    278.4 KB · Views: 45
  • buckle1cr.JPG
    buckle1cr.JPG
    293.7 KB · Views: 48
  • bucklerevcr.JPG
    bucklerevcr.JPG
    282.9 KB · Views: 60
Upvote 23

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shoe buckle missing most of the frame

Got-Good-Tones

Mar 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would venture to say that it would be "Horse" harness related...appears like it would have another piece on the other end...just like the one with the 4 stars...but on the other end.

Got-Good-Tones

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No - not horse related
that is a shoe or knee buckle - it got hit by something and broke - rest of it is out there probably
413b58e940e6ef7c0f3fd7467f549d7c.jpg

I would venture to say that it would be "Horse" harness related...appears like it would have another piece on the other end...just like the one with the 4 stars...but on the other end.

Got-Good-Tones

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

skarmajunga

Feb 25, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Fisher F75
XP Deus
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher CZ7A Pro
Cool buckle jeff

Got-Good-Tones

Mar 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CASPER-2,

Yep...after looking around on the internet I would have to agree with that assessment...that it is in fact shoe related.

Got-Good-Tones

Got-Good-Tones

Mar 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CASPER-2,

Was thinking it might of been related to horse tack...

Got-Good-Tones

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Find hunt, congrats on the nice finds! :occasion14:

OP
OP
JeffInMass

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No - not horse related
that is a shoe or knee buckle - it got hit by something and broke - rest of it is out there probably
View attachment 1840993

Thank you! I feel stupid but I have never found one with even a piece of the frame intact, so it tripped me up.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you! I feel stupid but I have never found one with even a piece of the frame intact, so it tripped me up.
Don't beat yourself up as this passion opens the door to endless objects from thousands of years. Nobody is expected to know everything that they dug the first time around.
I still scratch the noodle after 50+ yrs on digging.
Nice assortment of early finds you got from the hunt.

DaveSmith

May 26, 2020
western nc.....foothills
Detector(s) used
none
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am in the SAR and had a pair of colonial period shoes made and that is the type buckle that is on them. I recognized it right off the bat, but I would never have known if I hadn't of had those shoes. The buckle works great and if you know someone in the SAR or a re-en actor from the colonial period they would love to have that! But mine doesn't have the piece on the side that has the 4 "studs" and lines on it.

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds Jeff. That shoe buckle is 1700's all day! If you think about it that could be a buckle worn in the 1800's that was old when lost / discarded, or the land may have had a house even before the 1823 one! Either way congrats on that and the coins as well!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread