Hunting Parks Being Renovated

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
If you roll up to an old park where you have had many good finds over time and you find the whole core center is under renovation, orange fencing but gaps all over and just one bobcat working in one corner, how do you proceed? Do you just try detecting and see if you get told to leave? There is park personnel periodically driving around if that matters.

These construction jobs move pretty fast so finds are being lost day by day, so what do you do? I keep a yellow vest in the car. TIA

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If they've stripped the top dirt off and have not yet planted the new
sod, then I'd be waiting around for the day to end and the workers
all leave. While I was waiting, I'd go get a good meal in me, and make
sure I've got enough batteries for the machine and a headlamp.

Then I'd hunt the livin' shiznit out of it.....
moose.gif

Option #2 is I'd strike up a conversation with the site super/foreman etc.
I mean, they've stripped it already and it's just dirt...what are ya gonna
hurt? 8-)

OP
OP
M

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
If they've stripped the top dirt off and have not yet planted the new
sod, then I'd be waiting around for the day to end and the workers
all leave. While I was waiting, I'd go get a good meal in me, and make
sure I've got enough batteries for the machine and a headlamp.

Then I'd hunt the livin' shiznit out of it..... View attachment 2005874

Option #2 is I'd strike up a conversation with the site super/foreman etc.
I mean, they've stripped it already and it's just cdirt...what are ya gonna
hurt? 8-)
This a total removal of the playground equipment and the work will take a period of time. It it cut down as much as 18 inches in regions. It is a major revamping.

OP
OP
M

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I went by mid day today, and found no work happening. Work was going on in other spots, so I put on a yellow construction vest I carry with me, and hunted. It wasn't long before a big truck backed down beside the large pile of stacked up dug soil, and an operator for the dozer/crane to load it. I gave distance from them and never seemed to have gotten an eyeball put on me. Three hours later and another load taken from the pile...I either fitted in with the vest, or it simply wasn't a problem or worry.

We will see how it works in the future days. Nothing good found. They'd dug deep, like nearly 2 feet in places, so most good stuff were likely in that hugh pile to dirt, logically the good stuff were on the bottom of the pile from the very first scrapes off the top layer. GRRRR!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The "old park" is either going to be town, city, county or state owned. Ask the local Parks office if town, city or county. Never had any luck with state owned (detect - OK. But no digging and no object removal(???)).

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I hit one site being worked on , after hours, when construction stopped for the night.
It was a park I hunted often prior. Didn't want to risk not hearing something or being too focused despite my trying to keep awareness , and be in the way...

Age of park meant depth mattered , and the exposed lower ground /basement of detector range turned up one previously out of range recovery well worth the work.
The dirt piles (lucky me they were not all hauled away quickly) held coins many hunters had missed before. Self included.

Nicksan

Nov 17, 2005
So. Cal.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Stock and 6" coils
Whites M6 & MXT, Super 12 & 6x8 Detech coils
Miccus Bluetooth headphones & Ratphones
Lesche
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you roll up to an old park where you have had many good finds over time and you find the whole core center is under renovation, orange fencing but gaps all over and just one bobcat working in one corner, how do you proceed? Do you just try detecting and see if you get told to leave? There is park personnel periodically driving around if that matters.

These construction jobs move pretty fast so finds are being lost day by day, so what do you do? I keep a yellow vest in the car. TIA

If there is no fence or large gaps in the fence after the workers leave for the day, I would hit it, but only if its an old park where there might be something worth finding.

I went detecting on a Sunday at a large, very hunted out park in LA a long time ago, when I got there the main baseball field was completely tore up and being renovated, there was fencing all around it, I wanted to jump in so bad but, not interested in being arrested. Right now this old park is tore up near me but again its all fenced off and closed. :BangHead:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread