hunting rings with the CTX or eTrac

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is to you guys with CTX experience.

I am giving up hunting Civil War relics for a while and concentrating on finding rings in tot-lots, volleyball courts and old baseball fields. Of course I will take any silver I find, but I am really after rings.

Any hints, suggestions on determining rings from metallic trash? Skippy SH13 Friendly Metal Detecting forum has good luck finding rings in landlocked areas. He uses AT Pro and AT max now.

He states: When you target gold, you consider each piece of trash you come across and rule out anything that is likely NOT to be Gold.

Of course I know rings can ring up from 01 to 36 on the CO scale which makes hunting rings a challenge.

Do you know of any tricks like determining silver coin from clad coin switching between FC & high trash and 50 tones?

Always looking to the experienced CTX users for help.

John

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dig everything in a tot lot. If it's a good target, great. If it's a bad target (like nails, staples, sharp can slaw, etc), at least it's now out of the play area and kids won't get hurt on them. If it's a sand lot, it's easy to scoop and go. In a bark lot, it takes a bit more effort. I use my boot to kick a groove in the bark. Then use a pin pointer to zero in on the target once I'm down close to the indicated depth. It's amazing how fast a target will get a foot down in that bark!

moreb

Nov 15, 2017
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
F75
Minelab Sovereign GT
Troy Shadow X5
Fisher 1266X
Garrett Freedom 2
Garrett Deepseeker ADS ll
Garrett Deepseeker TR/VLF
D-Tex RS 200
Garrett Groundhog TR/VLF
A.H. Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was hunting a Civil War site digging .36 cal round balls @ 12-18 a few inches deep and dug a 18k gold ring that rang up 12-18 in the same area I was digging the round balls.. I've also dug silver war nickels @12-18. Also foil, beaver tails and screw caps @12-18.

OP
OP
pulltabfelix

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sounds like 12.18 has been kind to you. How long have you have your CTX?

moreb

Nov 15, 2017
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
F75
Minelab Sovereign GT
Troy Shadow X5
Fisher 1266X
Garrett Freedom 2
Garrett Deepseeker ADS ll
Garrett Deepseeker TR/VLF
D-Tex RS 200
Garrett Groundhog TR/VLF
A.H. Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
12-18 is a good # but 12-14 is also a good # for smaller women's rings. I also found that "usually" gold will hit more solid than junk items. Notice the emphasis on usually. lol

The CTX 3030 is one deep machine for rings and silver!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any non-ferrous signals can be a good gold or platinum target. I found an 18K gold tennis bracelet that read 12-01. My two best ever rings read 12-02....both $32K platinum diamond engagement rings. Sure, you're going to dig tons of foil, but, at the beach, is that really a big deal when you have a good scoop?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread