CarsonChris

Feb 11, 2019
Carson City NV
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This modern age of detector has both audio and videos components to detecting. I've basically used two detectors the last 4 years and I've relied on both audio and VDI when I detect. Today I had a 1/2 hour to detect so I decided to do something different. I used audio only on the Deus 2. I was surprised at what I dug in an area I've detected a lot. I think I will start doing this a little bit more!

Attachments

• 88F56EFD-7727-46CA-86E3-321C0C6F6FA1.jpeg
    88F56EFD-7727-46CA-86E3-321C0C6F6FA1.jpeg
    57.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 063DFCF0-E1B1-49CC-A2D1-7510B6D836F0.jpeg
    063DFCF0-E1B1-49CC-A2D1-7510B6D836F0.jpeg
    57.8 KB · Views: 64

Saker

Jan 12, 2021
SW PA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, CTX3030, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VDI becomes less accurate in certain situations, like depth, multiple targets, coin on edge, etc... This is where the audio can signal your brain you might want to dig. Good example, in December I got an iffy signal on the CTX and the VDI was bouncing around a bit, but it would show 12-41/12-42 in the mix. I was thinking it was probably a bent square nail because I had just dug one with a similar signal. It ended up being a 1794 liberty cap cent, on edge at about 10". So for me, the audio always trumps the VDI.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Totally agreed with you both and the notion that audio is primary in making decisions. I had used PWM with Square at first, but fairly quickly went to straight PWM because even though it’s not as “pleasant” to listen to, I feel the Sauare option takes something out of the information by softening the edges of the response too much. That’s just me though…

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In the past I had always gone by tone and ignored the numbers--I don't remember ever looking at the numbers.

But then I tried the XY screen. Now I listen first, then check the signal with the XY. I've found it much easier to sort through the garbage this way.

DigDog201

Jun 16, 2022
Video(numbers)is more of a distraction from what sound is telling you. Video In part it’s another tool and in part its another feature to sell to those who like to fiddle with alot features. They are not 100% accurate for sure, and might deter you from digging something you might have dug only using sound.
Discrimination also has the potential to mask good targets as well.
Its personal preference to cherry pick or dig everything but if you hunt by sound only, no discrimination and dig about everything, sure its more work but like anything else in the end you are rewarded more.
Im sure if someone put a piece of tape over the screen and only used audio on a hunt they will walk away having dug more and finding more.
Metal detecting life before the video display was just as fun lol its what you got accustomed to.

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, I have about a month on my new D2 and use audio only. Love it. Train those ears!

DWerk

Oct 18, 2020
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Whites V3i, AT Pro, Deus 1, Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ColonelDan posted some settings that make it easy on the beach (I’ve Been Converted from 3 Tones to Square Pitch) to detect with only the tones. I have found it to work well. I have also used it in playgrounds/ball diamonds next to chain link fences.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ColonelDan posted some settings that make it easy on the beach (I’ve Been Converted from 3 Tones to Square Pitch) to detect with only the tones. I have found it to work well. I have also used it in playgrounds/ball diamonds next to chain link fences.
I am going to have to try that myself. I hear a lot of people liking it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread