Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my dad didnt like this one when he was a jarhead, You 4 eyed idiot!! :tard:

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Here are a few I remember with a little explanation.
Were you in the STAR Program? "Short Timers Against Re-enlistment"
Were you on the ART "Anti Retention Team"
Did you eat American Chop Suey? "Elbow macaroni with tomato based meat sauce"
Did you drink Bug Juice? "Kind of like a cheap cool aid"
In Boot Camp, did they yell at you to line up "Nuts to Butts" No explanation needed LMAO
Remember keeping track of how long it was before you got out Ie. "10 days and a wake-up"
In the Navy did you have to "Hot Rack?" Not enough beds for the crew so it was arranged so that when you stood watch someone slept in your bed, then when it was your time to sleep the person you shared with was on watch. The bed didn't have a chance to cool off.
Glenn

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
And for you MALE Sailors...I am sure you remember these:

Bumper Sticker: JOIN THE NAVY

Well, when I enlisted, I was a WAVE (Women Accepted for Volunteer Emergency Service). This was started in 1942. (Not me, the program...silly!) Then when the Navy changed the WAVES to WINS or WONS (Women in the Navy or Women of the Navy)...my male counterparts had fun with that:

Join the Navy, Ride the Waves, Get blown by the Winds! UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the WAVES Official Song:

WAVES of the Navy
WAVES of the Navy,
There's a ship sailing down the bay.
And she won't slip into port again
Until that Victory Day.
Carry on for that gallant ship
And for every hero brave
Who will find ashore, his man-sized chore
Was done by a Navy WAVE.

Everything went into the ROUND FILE, otherwise known as FILE 13.

Don't ever be the first, don't ever be the last, and don't ever volunteer to do anything.

NAVY - Never Again Volunteer Yourself

Stomach in, Chest out (told to us in bootcamp)

Don't call me Sir, I work for a living.

There is the Right Way, The Wrong Way and The Navy's Way!!!

Smoking Lamp is OUT (ON).

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
MARINE- Muscles are required intelligence not expected.

I hated the smoking lamp. It always seemed to be out when you wanted a smoke the most on ship.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
fmrUSMC_0844 said:

I hated the smoking lamp. It always seemed to be out when you wanted a smoke the most on ship.

Isn't that the truth!!! And Thank Goodness I left my last ship before they said no more smoking onboard Naval Ships!!! Whew..that was cutting it close! LOL

OP
OP
Montana Jim

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
LOL... great responses... !

I learned fast that "Smoke 'em if you got 'em" was a reason to go outside and smoke while everyone else sat in their seats during training.

I made sure I alway had 'em!

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ron and Ann said:
fmrUSMC_0844 said:

Isn't that the truth!!! And Thank Goodness I left my last ship before they said no more smoking onboard Naval Ships!!! Whew..that was cutting it close! LOL
When did they say that? we had designaed smoking areas on the Nassau in 2001 and the Gunston Hall in 2003

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
fmrUSMC_0844 said:
Ron and Ann said:
fmrUSMC_0844 said:

When did they say that? we had designaed smoking areas on the Nassau in 2001 and the Gunston Hall in 2003

Mostly in Bootcamp and when onboard ship. There are certain times (i.e., at sea refueling) when the smoking lamp is out...I retired in 95...alot has changed since then...so much for the Ol' Navy! :-\

As for smoking on board ship, we were allowed then....but after I left my last ship, in '88, is when, atleast on our ship, no smoking allowed. But I was not onboard ship then when the rules changed, so I don't know what it was like after the NO SMOKING BAN came around.

But I can say at my shore command, after the NO SMOKING BAN...you could not smoke within 50 feet of an entrance (I think that is still true today). We had a Gazebo out back that we would go and smoke.

T

TreasurdiggrNY

A couple submariner topside watch things.

2 clicks on the 1MC to get the below decks guy on watch to get in touch with you.

An announcement you had to make as topside watch,
" There are men working in the sail, do not raise, lower, rotate or radiate from any mast or antennae, do not operate the fair water planes there are men working in the sail." How do I remember that after 25 years, I can't remember where I put my keys? :icon_scratch:
Glenn

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
TreasurdiggrNY said:
A couple submariner topside watch things.

2 clicks on the 1MC to get the below decks guy on watch to get in touch with you.

An announcement you had to make as topside watch,
" There are men working in the sail, do not raise, lower, rotate or radiate from any mast or antennae, do not operate the fair water planes there are men working in the sail." How do I remember that after 25 years, I can't remember where I put my keys? :icon_scratch:
Glenn

Wow...that changed some from when I was onboard...if I remember it...let's see

"There are men working aloft. Do not rotate, radiate, (and something else I can't remember) while men are working aloft."

DreamcatcherNC

Jul 22, 2008
There they go!
I must hasten after them.
For I am their leader.

There are divers over the side. Do not blow any tanks, rotate the shaft, operate or energize any underwater equipment. There are divers over the side.

Stores loading party, muster topside with the Chief of the Boat.

Liberty commences by department heads to expire on board tomorrow morning at 0700.

Field day will be secured when the door to the Captain's stateroom is returned.

The roach coach is on the pier.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
DreamcatcherNC said:
There they go!
I must hasten after them.
For I am their leader.

There are divers over the side. Do not blow any tanks, rotate the shaft, operate or energize any underwater equipment. There are divers over the side.

Stores loading party, muster topside with the Chief of the Boat.

Liberty commences by department heads to expire on board tomorrow morning at 0700.

Field day will be secured when the door to the Captain's stateroom is returned.

The roach coach is on the pier.

LMAO....the first red one is so funny and I can relate to some extent ;D ;D ;D

Oh, the Roach Coach still exist, well, it did when I retired in '95!!!

Zym

Jan 19, 2007
Gig Harbor WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend ( 6", 11", and 13x13.5" coils)
Ancient Garret Groundhog AM-2
One from my father (USMC 67-68): "All I want to see is A$$-holes and elbows"

Translation: get to work

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread