Husband thinks it’s stealing…

jackie blue

Dec 4, 2003
NC
On my way out of the store, I check the machine reject tray. Last week, there was at least $3 worth of clad coins, along with a 1942 wheat penny. Naturally, I scooped up every last cent. My husband says I’m stealing from Coinstar. While it’s not a real argument, I said other people do the same thing and no different from picking up loose change in the parking lot. Thoughts???

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rejects aren't counted, so you're not stealing from the machine. The person that put the coins in either didn't want their rejects or wasn't aware of how the machine works. Free coin for the next person to come along.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IF the machine rejected it... They (Coinstar) OBVIOUSLY did not want it... Or it would have not rejected it.

The whole idea of having a "rejection tray" is FOR the return of UNWANTED items. heh

Novel idea i know.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the cure

7390f3cebe3661a7feebb7848f12653f.gif

NSR60

Mar 26, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On my way out of the store, I check the machine reject tray. Last week, there was at least $3 worth of clad coins, along with a 1942 wheat penny. Naturally, I scooped up every last cent. My husband says I’m stealing from Coinstar. While it’s not a real argument, I said other people do the same thing and no different from picking up loose change in the parking lot. Thoughts???
I remember posting something similar a few years ago, but here it is again. If I find more than a few clad rejects, I usually run them through the machine again. This completes the transaction as originally intended. Coinstar gets their 11.9%, and I get the other 88.1%. Everybody wins. And my silver removal service is absolutely free.

With all of that said, I revel in the banditry.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I you were flipping the machine over and stealing the big box the coins go into, then you would be stealing, the machine rejected the coins from the machine and are in a tray that the previous person didn't check. Ask your husband if he is old enough to remember pay phones did he keep the change he found in the coin return or put it back in phone. There are also a lot of coins under the machine that bounce off the box inside. I've seen Brinks picking up the box's before and all they do is replace the box and close it back up they don't even clean up all the bounced out coins. If you didn't take them the cart guy would.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread