🥇 BANNER I Accidentally Found My Grandfather's Class Ring!

KY Treasure Hunter

May 29, 2020
Central Kentucky
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer AT, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was detecting a grass parking lot in our small community that I have detected before, but not entirely. I had been detecting for a couple of hours and was getting nothing but a bunch of nails and can slaw/pull tabs. I came across a spot where I got 5 or 6 solid mid 50s signals on my AT Pro in a 3x3 area. The first hole was a pull tab, the second a piece of slaw. I had decided to give up and move on, but I went ahead and dug one more. It was showing about two inches on my machine. When I popped open the hole I knew my luck had changed, that wonderful color we all know. GOLD! I happily pulled out this 10k 1963 Virginia Tech Class ring!

When I started cleaning it I saw writing on the inside. A little more cleaning showed something I didn't believe at first. The name on the inside was my grandfather! I later took the ring to him and he was more shocked than me. He said that he had lost that ring 30 years prior and had no idea where. What are the chances that I am the guy with the metal detector that uncovered it? Fate is a funny thing. These are pictures of the ring fully cleaned later.
20200508_170205(0).jpg 20200508_170053.jpg 20210124_142702(1).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 98

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was detecting a grass parking lot in our small community that I have detected before, but not entirely. I had been detecting for a couple of hours and was getting nothing but a bunch of nails and canslaw/pull tabs. I came across a spot where I got 5 or 6 solid mid 50s signals on my AT Pro in a 3x3 area. The first hole was a pull tab, the second a piece of slaw. I had decided to give up and move on, but I went ahead and dug one more. It was showing about two inches on my machine. When I popped open the hole I knew my luck had changed, that wonderful color we all know. GOLD! I happily pulled out this 10k 1963 Virginia Tech Class ring! When I started cleaning it I saw writing on the inside. A little more cleaning showed something I didn't believe at first. The name on the inside was my grandfather! I later took the ring to him and he was more shocked than me. He said that he had lost that ring 30 years prior and had no idea where. What are the chances that I am the guy with the metal detector that uncovered it. Fate is a funny thing. These are pictures of the ring fully cleaned later.
View attachment 1987757 View attachment 1987758 View attachment 1987763
That's Awesome!!!! Great Job!!! Congrats!!!

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was detecting a grass parking lot in our small community that I have detected before, but not entirely. I had been detecting for a couple of hours and was getting nothing but a bunch of nails and canslaw/pull tabs. I came across a spot where I got 5 or 6 solid mid 50s signals on my AT Pro in a 3x3 area. The first hole was a pull tab, the second a piece of slaw. I had decided to give up and move on, but I went ahead and dug one more. It was showing about two inches on my machine. When I popped open the hole I knew my luck had changed, that wonderful color we all know. GOLD! I happily pulled out this 10k 1963 Virginia Tech Class ring! When I started cleaning it I saw writing on the inside. A little more cleaning showed something I didn't believe at first. The name on the inside was my grandfather! I later took the ring to him and he was more shocked than me. He said that he had lost that ring 30 years prior and had no idea where. What are the chances that I am the guy with the metal detector that uncovered it. Fate is a funny thing. These are pictures of the ring fully cleaned later.
awesome find and GREAT back story. Such an awesome hobby, big time gratz!

michael NY

Nov 4, 2007
USA
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Coinstrike, F70, Explorer XS, Sovereign XS, Spectrum, IDX PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats a great story thanks for shareing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread