🥇 BANNER I Accidentally Found My Grandfather's Class Ring!

KY Treasure Hunter

May 29, 2020
Central Kentucky
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer AT, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was detecting a grass parking lot in our small community that I have detected before, but not entirely. I had been detecting for a couple of hours and was getting nothing but a bunch of nails and can slaw/pull tabs. I came across a spot where I got 5 or 6 solid mid 50s signals on my AT Pro in a 3x3 area. The first hole was a pull tab, the second a piece of slaw. I had decided to give up and move on, but I went ahead and dug one more. It was showing about two inches on my machine. When I popped open the hole I knew my luck had changed, that wonderful color we all know. GOLD! I happily pulled out this 10k 1963 Virginia Tech Class ring!

When I started cleaning it I saw writing on the inside. A little more cleaning showed something I didn't believe at first. The name on the inside was my grandfather! I later took the ring to him and he was more shocked than me. He said that he had lost that ring 30 years prior and had no idea where. What are the chances that I am the guy with the metal detector that uncovered it? Fate is a funny thing. These are pictures of the ring fully cleaned later.
20200508_170205(0).jpg 20200508_170053.jpg 20210124_142702(1).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 98

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'd love to have seen the look on your grandfather's face when you asked him about the ring, love to see a pic of him wearing it. At least you know that you'll likely inherit it one day. :thumbsup:

Congrats on achieving your first BANNER on Tnet!
Dave

RatherBeDigging

Jun 16, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Started with a Minelab xterra 505. Then Equinox 600 with stock coil, xl coil and sinper coil depending on circumstances. Now use a manticore.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What are the odds of that?? Luck is in your favor. Maybe pick up a scratch off ticket?

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter land ranger pro, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was detecting a grass parking lot in our small community that I have detected before, but not entirely. I had been detecting for a couple of hours and was getting nothing but a bunch of nails and can slaw/pull tabs. I came across a spot where I got 5 or 6 solid mid 50s signals on my AT Pro in a 3x3 area. The first hole was a pull tab, the second a piece of slaw. I had decided to give up and move on, but I went ahead and dug one more. It was showing about two inches on my machine. When I popped open the hole I knew my luck had changed, that wonderful color we all know. GOLD! I happily pulled out this 10k 1963 Virginia Tech Class ring!

When I started cleaning it I saw writing on the inside. A little more cleaning showed something I didn't believe at first. The name on the inside was my grandfather! I later took the ring to him and he was more shocked than me. He said that he had lost that ring 30 years prior and had no idea where. What are the chances that I am the guy with the metal detector that uncovered it? Fate is a funny thing. These are pictures of the ring fully cleaned later.
View attachment 1987757 View attachment 1987758 View attachment 1987763
Wow dude...that's beyond cool!!! Totally you should get in the news...contact someone with your story!

Beachbrat

Tenderfoot
Apr 8, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garret AT-Pro w/Z link
Garret Pro Pointer AT w/Z link
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are on lucky detectorist. I have found a number of class rings on my AT Pro and they always come up as 66-67. Maybe I should start to dig the 50's. Congratulations on your fantastic family find.

Wildbill31

Tenderfoot
Jan 12, 2021
Farris, OK
Detector(s) used
RicoMax (New)2021

Bounty Hunter (My first Detector) 1995-2001
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome Find. Blessings from above is what I call it.

OP
OP
KY Treasure Hunter

KY Treasure Hunter

May 29, 2020
Central Kentucky
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer AT, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all your replies. I always hope i can find something better in the future but it is going to be very hard to top this!

Heidi-

Greenie
May 16, 2020
Maine
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm III, Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is a beautiful story! Congratulations , how nice for both you and your grandfather. 👏

Randy Combs

Sep 16, 2013
FREDONIA KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Predator Raptor
Predator Phoenix
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

what a fantastic story, amazing

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread