🥇 BANNER I Accidentally Found My Grandfather's Class Ring!

KY Treasure Hunter

May 29, 2020
Central Kentucky
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer AT, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was detecting a grass parking lot in our small community that I have detected before, but not entirely. I had been detecting for a couple of hours and was getting nothing but a bunch of nails and can slaw/pull tabs. I came across a spot where I got 5 or 6 solid mid 50s signals on my AT Pro in a 3x3 area. The first hole was a pull tab, the second a piece of slaw. I had decided to give up and move on, but I went ahead and dug one more. It was showing about two inches on my machine. When I popped open the hole I knew my luck had changed, that wonderful color we all know. GOLD! I happily pulled out this 10k 1963 Virginia Tech Class ring!

When I started cleaning it I saw writing on the inside. A little more cleaning showed something I didn't believe at first. The name on the inside was my grandfather! I later took the ring to him and he was more shocked than me. He said that he had lost that ring 30 years prior and had no idea where. What are the chances that I am the guy with the metal detector that uncovered it? Fate is a funny thing. These are pictures of the ring fully cleaned later.
20200508_170205(0).jpg 20200508_170053.jpg 20210124_142702(1).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 98

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was detecting a grass parking lot in our small community that I have detected before, but not entirely. I had been detecting for a couple of hours and was getting nothing but a bunch of nails and can slaw/pull tabs. I came across a spot where I got 5 or 6 solid mid 50s signals on my AT Pro in a 3x3 area. The first hole was a pull tab, the second a piece of slaw. I had decided to give up and move on, but I went ahead and dug one more. It was showing about two inches on my machine. When I popped open the hole I knew my luck had changed, that wonderful color we all know. GOLD! I happily pulled out this 10k 1963 Virginia Tech Class ring!

When I started cleaning it I saw writing on the inside. A little more cleaning showed something I didn't believe at first. The name on the inside was my grandfather! I later took the ring to him and he was more shocked than me. He said that he had lost that ring 30 years prior and had no idea where. What are the chances that I am the guy with the metal detector that uncovered it? Fate is a funny thing. These are pictures of the ring fully cleaned later.
View attachment 1987757 View attachment 1987758 View attachment 1987763

Rings&bling

Nov 2, 2018
Denver, Colorado
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400; Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Goldfinger450

Aug 28, 2017
Central Oregon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WoW!!! what a story!! Congratulations and Grandpa was beside himself eh? So Cool.

I have to relate a story from my highschool years an 1948 Indian Motorcycle was actually an Royal enfield sold under the indian name anyway I traded for it it rolled and I got it running, had no gas tank and a wooden plug in the generator hole, my Dad asked me if it had a wood plug in the generator hole I said yes, he had owned it as a kid got it after it had caught fire, used it for hill climbs I still have a photo of it. Not as cool as your story though.

OP
OP
KY Treasure Hunter

KY Treasure Hunter

May 29, 2020
Central Kentucky
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer AT, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WoW!!! what a story!! Congratulations and Grandpa was beside himself eh? So Cool.

I have to relate a story from my highschool years an 1948 Indian Motorcycle was actually an Royal enfield sold under the indian name anyway I traded for it it rolled and I got it running, had no gas tank and a wooden plug in the generator hole, my Dad asked me if it had a wood plug in the generator hole I said yes, he had owned it as a kid got it after it had caught fire, used it for hill climbs I still have a photo of it. Not as cool as your story though.
Thanks and that is a really neat story!

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

That is serendipitous! Congratulations on the great find and returning it to your surprised and grateful grandfather.

OhioTrevor

Jan 2, 2020
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

No such thing as a coincidence

GRIZE

Tenderfoot
Aug 26, 2018
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Wow unreal that's cool

Dign-nbama

Sep 28, 2012
North Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star, Minelab Etrac,, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Awesome find, congratulations, makes me feel old tho I'm year older than your GrandDad

Whynotme

Greenie
Feb 16, 2022

That's awesome! You ought to include a picture of your grandfather. I hope that it still fits him. 😊

Taladeganite

Feb 4, 2020
Antioch, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Mine lab go find 40/60/whites classic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bar none the absolute best dig I’ve ever read… glad you were the detectorist to find it! Nothing more precious (metal) than family! (family jewelry)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread