I also came across a rattlesnake while detecting, but it was protecting 13 stars!

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back to the new site that produced the key date 1877 Indian Head penny from two weeks ago. It was my first return trip. While the site again offered only a scarce number of finds, I recovered a wonderful patriotic rattlesnake and stars button only five minutes into a two hour search. :icon_thumleft:

P8110183.JPG

P8110189.JPG

This site is perplexing, but it's all good! It has given up little in terms of volume over the past two hunts, but the results have been fantastic all the same. My only other finds from my search consisted of a plain flat button, a brass rivet, a dime, a brass harness buckle, and a assortment of mangled sheet brass, aluminum, lead, tin, etc. I must admit that my recent run of luck at least at this one site is similar to the story lines on some of those discreditable TV treasure hunting shows.

Research on the button indicates that it’s likely late-18th century, brass, and possibly of French manufacture. A. Alberts designates it as a PC 4 (patriotic and commemorative) button. The button is quite thin and delicate, so there’s some surface loss with clear delamination along the rim. The snake’s head with tail in mouth has little or no detail, but the overall button has a fairly good patina (the best substitute for a total absence of gilt). It has no unsightly corrosion, no gouges, and no scratches. The shank is fully intact. For being buried in the ground for 200+ years, it's held up fairly well. I read that the use of the snake as a symbol for the fledging United States of America goes back to 1754, when Benjamin Franklin used a snake for that exact purpose in the very first political cartoon to appear in the colonies.

Noticing the stars on the button, I counted them while in the field – “1, 2, 3, …13 – hmmm?” ??? I didn’t recognize the snake on the rim of the button while out in the field. Later in the day at home, I checked Albert’s book and dismissed the find, as I saw nothing recognizable. I had kept the button in a air-tight container of dirt from the field, and late at night I removed it for an overnight soak in mineral oil. That’s when I took a closer look and noticed the button’s uneven rim. It was not a rim; it was a rattlesnake! Upon recognizing the rattlesnake, I knew exactly what I had from seeing a few of the examples posted on T-Net. What a surprising end to the day! Hopefully, I'll find a GWI button one of the days (still on my wish list), but if it never happens, I'll at least have this button and be proud to have recovered it.

Good Hunting!

Upvote 24

turf_aholic

May 5, 2009
PNW
I went back to the new site that produced the key date 1877 Indian Head penny from two weeks ago. It was my first return trip. While the site again offered only a scarce number of finds, I recovered a wonderful patriotic rattlesnake and stars button only five minutes into a two hour search. :icon_thumleft:

Good Hunting!

Sparse finds??? Who cares with buttons like that!!
Well done getting that away from your rattlesnake friend.

Peter

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome button there !!! I have a few buttons that I really like also =D

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Screaming button, and rightly so, very elated that you have dug that beauty. Congrats on the knee bender, very nice find... Art

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are my favorite buttons! Congrats on a fantastic find with important historical symbolism. I found a 13 star button from that time period with lots of gilt still attached and it's my favorite find because of what it represents. You have been on a roll lately.... I hope it continues for you

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Easy Banner find! Nice one, full shank and all. There are a handful of varieties of these, that one happens to be one of my favorites.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fantastic find! that is awesome

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too am a fan! (of the buttons that is) ;) :)

BTW... the latest information points at these being Spanish and not French. (Troiani's latest book)

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on a terrific recovery. In fine condition too!

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
For those unaware of the value of these buttons, this could easily be a $500-$1000 button. As with anything, it depends on the rarity of this particular one and it's desirability of among collectors.

jdsly

Mar 7, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice button!! I "discovered" mine when i got home too. Had no idea what i had in the field just stuck in my pocket. Congrats! Hope the next one is a GW

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
screams history! what a find, love it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread