I Am Iron Man! Hand Forged Horseshoe and a Leg Hold Trap. Good Day!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the woods today after taking a couple of weeks off. Nothing thrilling, but I did mange two iron relics. First find was a hand forged horseshoe. Very beefy looking shoe! Must have been a rugged horse that wore it. This is my 50th horseshoe found during my 5 years of detecting.

Second find was a leg hold trap that was only an inch or two under the ground. Pretty far gone, but still a interesting find. My 5th leg hold trap overall and my 2nd at this spot. Both will go up on my wall in my relic room.

Here's couple of pics. Sorry, but I haven't cleaned them up yet.

DSC09330.JPG DSC09331.JPG

Upvote 21
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice Relics! :icon_thumleft:

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice old iron saves that should clean up nicely. Congrats

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome...Tonight we have a really big Shoe Clydesdale?

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Da Da Da Da Da.........you Are Iron Man. Well done on some nice relics.

TimberCrack

Jul 30, 2013
wyoming
Detector(s) used
white's 6000/D coin master
White's MXT
Garrettt ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You actually found a Toe and Heel Mule Shoe..congrats..it was a winter Mud and Snow tire back in the day..8-)

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice finds not a bad day at all

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Nice day for relics.Congrats :icon_thumright:

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Free Bird Nice items you found .The foot hold trap is what is known as a Jump Trap It looks like what was referred to as a #1 or maybe 1 1/2 size .That would have been used for anything like muskrat up to skunk ,possum and raccoon . It looks like the trap pan is missing . But if it still there it should be stamped with letters and numbers That would include the maker of the trap. From the looks of the chain I think it is more than 50 years old . If the pan is missing check around near to where you found it .The pan could be nearby .Also keep checking the surrounding area .There is a chance some woodsman set up his camp there for a while

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You actually found a Toe and Heel Mule Shoe..congrats..it was a winter Mud and Snow tire back in the day

That would make perfect sense, since it's very fat for a horse shoe! Thanks for the ID.

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Free Bird Nice items you found .The foot hold trap is what is known as a Jump Trap It looks like what was referred to as a #1 or maybe 1 1/2 size .That would have been used for anything like muskrat up to skunk ,possum and raccoon . It looks like the trap pan is missing . But if it still there it should be stamped with letters and numbers That would include the maker of the trap. From the looks of the chain I think it is more than 50 years old . If the pan is missing check around near to where you found it .The pan could be nearby .Also keep checking the surrounding area .There is a chance some woodsman set up his camp there for a while

Thanks for that detailed info! I did find the mule shoe about 20 feet away from the trap, so it could have been a camp site. I'll be sure to check it out again when all the ferns and plants have died off for the year. Tough going in the woods right now!

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another thing about the old time trappers .They had a area that they felt was their territory . And because they preferred to travel light they would stash their gear in locations that would keep it from the worst of the weather and return to pick it up as they got back to the same place from year to year . Good luck in looking for other relics that help to maintain your Iron Man status .

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, glass half fool! You're right, the trap pan is missing. Going to have to go back and check again. It was behind a very large rock, so I should be able to return to the exact spot.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Considering it's size compared to the mule shoe, my guess would
be that's a #2 Herters or Blake and Lamb (could even be Victor?).

When you find the pan, it'll either be blank (Blake and Lamb), have
a big "V" or a big "H" in the center.

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
018.jpg After looking at my old antique traps I think the one you found is likely a 1/12 or a 2 .My depth perception is not as good as it used to be .Also the chain is not one that was common at any time of the early trap making years .Here is a pic with three different size traps beside a large horse shoe .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread