I am new here! And New to Rocks! Iraqi crystals....help!

Jessdelight

Jan 7, 2023
Hi guys, I need some help, I was hiking the other day here in Iraq, and I found this pocket of quartz/crystals inside a huge rock platform can someone tell me more about this? the pieces came out in squares but the rock was so hard that I could only get a few pieces that I broke off and I didn't want to damage anymore so I left it. What am I looking at and would there be any crystals in the ground below or just inside this rock? This rock had two big areas of these crystals and lots of small ones.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Jess
Screen Shot 2023-01-07 at 8.50.21 PM.png

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard Jessdelight!
tn_moved_over.gif
I moved ya from TODAY'S FINDS! over to ROCKS/GEMS for more exposure.

Upvote 0

blauer

Jun 17, 2014
Pennsylbama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II.
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi guys, I need some help, I was hiking the other day here in Iraq, and I found this pocket of quartz/crystals inside a huge rock platform can someone tell me more about this? the pieces came out in squares but the rock was so hard that I could only get a few pieces that I broke off and I didn't want to damage anymore so I left it. What am I looking at and would there be any crystals in the ground below or just inside this rock? This rock had two big areas of these crystals and lots of small ones.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Jess View attachment 2063391
Looks like Gypsum. Without better pictures/more information (hardness, streak), that's my best guess.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread