I believe me and my little girl found a 1793 Flowing Hair Wreath Large Cent!!

JohnnyMac

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Nox,,Whites Eagle Spectrum,Whites Coinmaster 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got out with my 9 yr old for an hour tonight. She loves to help me with the pin pointer. First hole we pop this large cent. It dried off really quickly so I waited until we got home to clean it up. Didn't take me too long to know I had something different. Let me know if im wrong but If im right I'm over the moon that my little girl laid hands on it first.
20230520_201439.jpg
20230520_201505.jpg
20230520_184200.jpg
20230521_104003.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 65

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice!! Great that your daughter was there when it came out of the ground!!

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super find! Extra-super that your daughter was there for the recovery! Congratulations!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful moment for a father and his daughter !! This is definitely what this hobby is all about !! And it's a historical find and a real teachable piece involving American history. Congrats to the both of you !! Super cool story and find !!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find. I remember spending time in the field with my daughter when she was that age. She's 37 now. Tell your daughter congrats on being the one to touch that coin for the first time in 230 years.

Reactions: BFR

jgoetz4

Dec 31, 2014
Baltimore, Md
Detector(s) used
White's 5000D (40 yrs) and Bounty Hunter 3300 (8 yrs)
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratulations on a great find and a piece of history :)
Jim

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are 100% correct with what you found, one of the rarer finds ever made. Only a little over 63K were ever minted, so to have found one, with your daughter- I simply cannot envision anything better in this hobby. Congrats to you both- sensational!!!

OP
OP
JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have you ever tried rose bush thorns? They work pretty well and come to a sharper tip to get into more crevices.

Congrats to you both on a great find.
Never tried that but maybe i will. Thanks

OP
OP
JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice find. I remember spending time in the field with my daughter when she was that age. She's 37 now. Tell your daughter congrats on being the one to touch that coin for the first time in 230 years.
Thank you and I did. She wanted to hunt with me yesterday but the fields have grown knee high in the past week and didn't want her getting tick bites or chiggers. Now me on the other hand I have no sense and go out anyway.

OP
OP
JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a very rare and the earliest of Federal coinage. You have a stellar find there. It's crusty, but you found it, and that is what matters. Well, you found it with your daughter so I guess we should make sure to spread the credit around. You tell her that she made a wonderful find, and one that very few people will ever get a chance at. I am also going to give you a banner vote.
Thank you. Banner means very little to me although I appreciate the vote. My finds mean more to me or us "in this case" more than than any recocnition or $$ in the world. To me It's about history that would be lost forever if we didn't dig it. Keep on diggin everyone!!

SHAWANIDetecter77

May 23, 2023
Libya
Detector(s) used
Fisher cold bug Db Pro
Got out with my 9 yr old for an hour tonight. She loves to help me with the pin pointer. First hole we pop this large cent. It dried off really quickly so I waited until we got home to clean it up. Didn't take me too long to know I had something different. Let me know if im wrong but If im right I'm over the moon that my little girl laid hands on it first.
View attachment 2084722 View attachment 2084723 View attachment 2084724 View attachment 2084803
very Nice discover.... Congrats

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread