I bought a gold pan kit, but it's getting cold. Should I just bring dirt / material home from places I find interesting and take note for Spring?

HoosierDude

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2012
Southern Indiana
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So, I just bought this kit from Amazon:

It's getting cold so I'm not certain I'll be wanting to spend full days in the cold and in creeks this time of year. But I was wondering if it's common practice or a good idea to use this time of year to collect material from sites that you may want to return to in the Spring and in warmer weather to do a proper day of panning at?

I was just thinking of hitting up some of my favorite spots while hiking and filling up a ziplock back or three with some random material where I think some gold may or could be found and hauling it out, labeling it for future reference in case anything promising is panned out from the interior warmth of my house.

Good plan?

EDIT: Registered in 2012. I guess it's taken me 9 years to finally get around to getting started, lol.

Upvote 3

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Do not be afraid to sample outside of known gold district as you could be one of the few doing this and you never know what you could find.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a lot of gold in my part of Arkansas,but I,m going to be doing exactly what you describe,just because I want to.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, I just bought this kit from Amazon:

It's getting cold so I'm not certain I'll be wanting to spend full days in the cold and in creeks this time of year. But I was wondering if it's common practice or a good idea to use this time of year to collect material from sites that you may want to return to in the Spring and in warmer weather to do a proper day of panning at?

I was just thinking of hitting up some of my favorite spots while hiking and filling up a ziplock back or three with some random material where I think some gold may or could be found and hauling it out, labeling it for future reference in case anything promising is panned out from the interior warmth of my house.

Good plan?

EDIT: Registered in 2012. I guess it's taken me 9 years to finally get around to getting started, lol.

Thats what I have been doing for years . But bring more material home than a few ziplocks can hold, its a long winter. And classify the material at the locations to 1/4" (no need to carry excess weight )

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And while you got the bug you might as well set up a recirculating sluice in your garage ,or basement :)
010.JPG

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I like to sample with my pan before going through the effort to haul dirt anywhere. A pair of rubber gloves helps in cold water sampling.
This time of year a sheet metal wood stove would be nice for heating up the water to pan in. If you are panning a fair amounts for hours the hot water is very nice.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Even at home during the colder months I had a 120vac heater element with thermostat wired into it to keep that panning water nice n warm for my hands . This warm water also helped breaking up the clay that is left in the cons. worked for me

Tinhorn2

Jul 27, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knew where a dried creek was about a mile walk in mountains. I took 2 buckets out there, filled some gravel in each to balanced my shoulders LOL & walked back to my truck, drove to wet creek etc,

No different than what your talking about - go ahead

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread