I bought a turtle today at a yard sale.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stopped at one sales today after church and the guy had for $10 a turtle With an aquarium. I told my didn't need the aquarium and got the turtle for six dollars. So after my kids get home today I'm going to let him go in the pond outback. By the way I live in South Florida so he won't die.

image-3182999705.jpg

image-1800980331.jpg

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Careful with those little turtles. I have 2 of them and your kids need to wash hands very well. Little ones have a high tendancy to have Ecoli. HH

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Careful with those little turtles. I have 2 of them and your kids need to wash hands very well. Little ones have a high tendancy to have Ecoli. HH

Yeah I won't let them touch it right now. It was funny my dad called all upset saying need to let it go because they carry leprosy. I looked it up all over Google. Armadillo carry leprosy. My dad called back and said oh that's right I forgot don't bring home any armadillo!!

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think he said red eared slider? We are going to keep him for awhile. It probably would be fish food at that size. My 2 yr old daughter sees it, says eewww! Gross daddy!

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
Yup, that's a slider. Goes by the latin name, Trachemys scripta. If he has a small red mark on the sides of his head, he is a red-eared slider, subspecies elegans. Sliders have been the most popular pet turtles. Reptiles and amphibians (such as your little guy) are cold-blooded and pretty tolerant of cold. I used to keep a tank with several different species of turtles I collected in the wilds of North Florida. At one time, I had several turtles in the tank including a stinkpot, a Barber's map turtle, and a baby alligator snapper, as well as a slider. One year when we were on vacation over the Christmas holidays, we had a hard freeze and the turtle tank water froze. We came home and found them suspended in mid-water. I thought they were dead. When the water thawed out, they came back to life as if nothing happened.

Last edited:

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 2 of those exact turtles, not red eared, but something else, need to look it up again.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If he doesn't have the red mark then he is a Yellow Bellied Slider. He will live a long time if he doesn't become a meal for some other predator.

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One year when we were on vacation over the Christmas holidays, we had a hard freeze and the turtle tank water froze. We came home and found them suspended in mid-water. I thought they were dead. When the water thawed out, they came back to life as if nothing happened.

Wonder if turtles age while in suspended animation like that? I thought most turtles could survive cold climates cause we have to many different kinds of turtles here for them not to be able to as it gets pretty cold here.

We use to catch ones that look like that in northern Indiana at a friends parents lake house when we were kids (12-13-14yrs old) & bring back (about 40 of them) 3-4 times a summer & sell em for $1 each. It was a little supplement to my paper route & my golf ball hunting & selling business (I grew up next to a golf course with a great ball loosing creek running thru it).

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
my golf ball hunting & selling business (I grew up next to a golf course with a great ball loosing creek running thru it)

My apologies for the temporary thread hijack, beachkid, but IG's comment above brought back some fond memories. When I was a kid there was a golf course near my home. There was one hole where the fairway dipped sharply down to a little creek with a stand of trees and rocks off to the right. You couldn't see the creek from the tee box. My buddies and I would hang out in the stand of trees and wait for some hacker to hit a short drive down near trees. We would dash out onto the fairway, grab his ball and hide it in the rocks. Without fail, the golfer would look around for awhile, give up and play a new ball. When the next group of golfers came along, we would sell them the ball we just stole. Mischievous little thieves we were. We had a great little racket for a few weeks until somebody figured out our game and reported us to the course operators!

/hijack

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple of weeks ago i bought an alligator head. got it on the bay right now for $45.

Also have it with me in my office. My wife wanted me to get it out of the bedroom/office cause it freaks her out. The green eyes glowed that way when I took the pics.

Attachments

• 720824289_o.jpg
    720824289_o.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 72
  • 720824301_o.jpg
    720824301_o.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 62
OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple of weeks ago i bought an alligator head. got it on the bay right now for $45.

Also have it with me in my office. My wife wanted me to get it out of the bedroom/office cause it freaks her out. The green eyes glowed that way when I took the pics.

That's a pretty awesome picture with the eyes glowing like that!

Yak

Tenderfoot
Nov 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may be considered an invasive species in South Fla.

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What are the eyes made out of? Uranium glass?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread