I can't believe I am still watching this show

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last edited:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a matter of fact one of the targets on the map has been found in a previous episode...
Huh? Which target was found?

Even if something that is marked on a modern copy of an "alleged" ancient map how does that prove the map is ancient?

holepuncher

Oct 5, 2014
Amboy Wa.
Detector(s) used
AT Pro. Equinox.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The show is nothing more then playing the lotto, escape from reality, dreams of the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, it is just entertainment with a little real history thrown for good measure. I do have to admit the rehash is overly annoying.

Advocat

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm curious to know about the Ely letter. Who is the "Ely" being referenced . .. An individual? A company?

Butler

Feb 19, 2009
Northern Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac; X-1 Probe; Brain!
I just watched season 6 and feel I didn't miss anything from season 1-5. And if I see that guy with the CTX hurl that detector around at 3-6 inches above the ground anymore I'm gonna go crazy!

OP
OP
S

Steamboat

Feb 20, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The guy with the detector is billed as an expert, but the way he swings the detector 3-6 inches off the ground I would think he was a beginner. Also I think he swings way too fast. Maybe he knows ahead of time where the targets will be.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was finally able to get a photo of a piece of jewelry that was 3500 years old with what the Real "Ark of the Covenant of God" looked like. Really amazing.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Take a look at the gold buried with King Tutankhamun. That is 3,500 years old. Pretty swank!

(Actually, gold is an element formed in long gone super-novas and ALL of it is billions of years old - we just come across deposits of it or repurpose it over and over).

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Take a look at the gold buried with King Tutankhamun. That is 3,500 years old. Pretty swank!

(Actually, gold is an element formed in long gone super-novas and ALL of it is billions of years old - we just come across deposits of it or repurpose it over and over).

Just like diamonds, older then dirt (so to speak)!

Cheers, Loki

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thread title; "I can't believe I am still watching this show"...…..Neither can the producers.

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
TDI SL, Equinox800, Whites XL Pro w/tone mod, Makro Racer, Whites IDX Pro w/Bills mods
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The guy with the detector is billed as an expert, but the way he swings the detector 3-6 inches off the ground I would think he was a beginner. Also I think he swings way too fast. Maybe he knows ahead of time where the targets will be.

Even when the archy is involved nothing is ever gridded, Gary just staggers around like I do when searching a local park. Other times he is discing out iron when I thought he is supposed to be looking for just about everything he can find since they are trying to document the history of the island. I can see using disc if they KNOW there are coins among a lot of nails, but I haven't heard him comment on that. I keep wondering why Gary never gets any help with more detectorists. By this time you would think someone in that group could have picked up some skills and they could at least double their efforts. I think in one episode this year they mentioned they had a couple of acres to cover. That's a lot with a CTX especially since it seems Gary has some physical limitations and has to have a helper do the digging for him. I wish I had one of those. lol

I noticed Gary casually finds small objects within a couple of inches of the surface with that giant coil and they are depicted on tv as really big hits on the CTX. In my experience big coils are good for big deep objects and can often miss small surface objects. Can anyone comment on how well that 17 inch coil works for shallow coins and jewelry 2-6 inches deep?

Watching the show is still a decent way to kill time. For me it's a notch above golf and bowling on tv, It has it's moments. I've napped through portions of it. Last summer I was channel flipping and saw Marty on Ancient Aliens. I guess his wine and construction businesses aren't enough to keep him busy when he's not on Oak Island. lol

OP
OP
S

Steamboat

Feb 20, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Minelab E-trac which is not as good a detector as what Garry has. But I feel like if I made a grid, went slower and had the coil closer to the ground I would find more items than Garry is finding.
Also, there are at least three questions about the items they are finding. What, when, who. What is it. When was it put there, and who put it there. They can find out the what, but they have no idea of the when or who.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
The when,most likely an hour or two before filming,the who,producers,directors,or most likely the flunky,gopher,etc,whatever you call the sucker.

petetherocker

Jan 20, 2015
Canada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thread title; "I can't believe I am still watching this show"...…..Neither can the producers.

I watched the first couple of seasons hoping they'd find something, then stopped and haven't watched since, and I haven't missed anything.....

Raparee

Feb 18, 2016
Nova Scotia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Read the Scrolls of Onteora by Donald A. Ruh. Best book I have read in years. View attachment 1664465

"It is the current spelling of what was claimed to be the local Native American name for the Catskills, meaning “hills of the sky.” In truth, however, the name “Onteora” is fake. Henry Rowe Schoolcraft invented it in 1844 (as “Ontiora”) to de-Dutch the Catskills. It didn’t take but was applied locally to give a faux-Native veneer to a summer resort community.

"It really beggars belief that Halpern [and Ruh] accepts that a medieval Englishman, Ralph de Sudeley, had his memoir of an American voyage entitled The Onteora Document, given that the name was invented in 1844 and only took on its modern spelling after 1870."

---Jason Colavito (2017)

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Even when the archy is involved nothing is ever gridded, Gary just staggers around like I do when searching a local park. Other times he is discing out iron when I thought he is supposed to be looking for just about everything he can find since they are trying to document the history of the island. I can see using disc if they KNOW there are coins among a lot of nails, but I haven't heard him comment on that. I keep wondering why Gary never gets any help with more detectorists. By this time you would think someone in that group could have picked up some skills and they could at least double their efforts. I think in one episode this year they mentioned they had a couple of acres to cover. That's a lot with a CTX especially since it seems Gary has some physical limitations and has to have a helper do the digging for him. I wish I had one of those. lol

I noticed Gary casually finds small objects within a couple of inches of the surface with that giant coil and they are depicted on tv as really big hits on the CTX. In my experience big coils are good for big deep objects and can often miss small surface objects. Can anyone comment on how well that 17 inch coil works for shallow coins and jewelry 2-6 inches deep?

Watching the show is still a decent way to kill time. For me it's a notch above golf and bowling on tv, It has it's moments. I've napped through portions of it. Last summer I was channel flipping and saw Marty on Ancient Aliens. I guess his wine and construction businesses aren't enough to keep him busy when he's not on Oak Island. lol

Yeah, swinging like he knows where the next (non-ferrous) object is...!
Discriminating-out iron, when the Project is looking for clues to THE Treasure...?!
His digging assistant is still using a HUGE spade shovel - in rocky beach soil,
or in the roots of the wooded portion of the island...?! :icon_scratch:
Oh well, it still is entertaining to spot all the dumb things that the "experts"
say and do...!

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, swinging like he knows where the next (non-ferrous) object is...!
Discriminating-out iron, when the Project is looking for clues to THE Treasure...?!
His digging assistant is still using a HUGE spade shovel - in rocky beach soil,
or in the roots of the wooded portion of the island...?! :icon_scratch:
Oh well, it still is entertaining to spot all the dumb things that the "experts"
say and do...!

I spoke too soon, it seems the archaeologist will be doing a grid, an excavation, over that hot spot of artifacts and bone.
And the (second) digger was on board this time, to accompany Gary, the detectorist, carrying a
serious-looking, d-handled, Lesche-looking shovel...!

...Would like to see more "expert" Metal Detectorists join the show....find Real TREASURE, in no time...!! Right?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread