I dont have a clue what this is???????

mavrick03

Sep 29, 2004
Stafford Va
Re: I don't have a clue what this is???????

my guess
iron Meteorite
or could just be some melted iron except for the holes that look like air bubbles in it would have to be one hot piece of iron to get holes in it

Mav

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

stever

That was the first thing that came to mind but I dont know. I sent the pic to some so called expert and he said he wasnt sure but he wanted me to send it to him. I may be from Arkansas but im no hillbilly so I said thanks but no thanks. Maybe the forum can help.

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

IF he's an Expert, you should be able to send him a very small piece of it . IS IT HEAVY ?

Upvote 0

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don't know much ???about meteorites,except that if it is one,it's worth $$.5-10 dollars a gram or more I think.Good luck with it! H.H.

Upvote 0
J

Jacko

This rock you have there. I think it's a meterorite form the one's I have seen before on nuggetshooter.com. If it is, it might be very valueable as I haven't seen one with other stones in it.
Take it to your university and they'll know pretty quick. They may have to take a vey small slice.

Jacko

Upvote 0

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT

Mav is correct. It is a piece of slag from a furnace. As a geologist I see a lot of these in the field. Go to Leon's site and look at Common Misconceptions. Slag like this has small vesicles(holes). They are formed by the expansion of a bubble of gas during the solidification of the slag specimen. Meteorites have fusion crust or "thumb prints" formed during it's entry into our world.

We actually get a lot of slag specimens like this on this forum from folks who think they are space rocks.So you are not alone.
George

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

stever

What kind of furnace?

Upvote 0

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT

Concerning the amount of iron present probably a furnace used for iron fabrication or production. I used to find a lot of slag specimens in SE Ohio. Turns out during the Civil War local iron deposits(iron carbonate) were worked for a short time before being exhausted. Little remains to indicate the iron history of these towns except for their names eg Union Furnace,
Slag specimens are found where ever a furnace was employed -coal, iron, ore, glass,etc.
Go to the meteorite section and look at the "Possible Meteorite"postings.- Both these slag specimens have gas vesicles Also some volcanic rocks can have these too. Look at the thread above yours which exhibits a volcanic bomb under a"Weird looking rock".

George

Upvote 0

OnionRings

Dec 15, 2004
Denver, Colorado

Was it near a railroad track? I've seen these near them and I was told it comes from the coal the use to burn.

I would have it checked out it could be a meteorite.

Upvote 0
C

copperrock

i have seen a whole lot of slag and a couple of metiorites. i would say im pretty sure this is slag by the bubbled holes i see.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread