I dont see any reviews of JW Fisher equipment.

GarrettDealer

Apr 18, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exp. SE
I don't see any reviews of JW Fisher equipment.

http://www.jwfishers.com
8x.gif

I believe some people have their companies confused.
It'd be nice to see some JW reviews here.

OP
OP
G

GarrettDealer

Apr 18, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exp. SE
Re: I don't see any reviews of JW Fisher equipment.

JFYI
Fisher and JW Fisher are two distinct and different companies who's products are as varied as apples and oranges.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The JW Fisher line are PI's and they make magnetometers for towing behind a boat for the marine salvage business. Mel Fisher used them and some others in finding the wrecks. I've used a Pulse 8, and don't think it would do for beach hunting.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat

JW Fisher, Mel Fisher, and Fisher Electronics...... hmmm, so tell me, just where does Bobby Fischer fit into all this? ;)

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

J.W. products are in a bit of a niche market. With beach/surf P.I.'s needing a low uS for sensitivity to small rings etc and deep water P.I.'s needing a high uS to cope with, I assume effects of pressure and water volume combined, the two types are not interchangeable.

There must be very few sales of deep water P.I.'s compared to any other type of detector. Wreck hunters don't seem to go in for saying a particular piece of equipment is brilliant as they seem very competive and the nature of their work means its best to keep their mouths shut.

Photoflash

Sep 2, 2007
Little Canada, MN
Detector(s) used
JW Fisher Pulse 8/Excalibur
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

I recently purchased a JW Fisher Pulse 8. I found it to be the best detector I'd ever used in the surf, and on the beach.

I dug a lot of trash, but surely found more with the Pulse 8 than I had with other detectors. I primarily wanted it for working the surf, and in deeper water.

I have a Garrett Sea Hunter also, which I like a lot, even though it is an older unit.

8)

Skipper

Apr 25, 2005
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000

I have a JW Fisher 6X. It's a little heavy for land. My arm gets tired when mounted on the land handle. It would be nice to have a chest harness for the battery part. You can thread the unit on a thin dive type waist belt. I still like it.. In addition, I guess if I was going to spend the money, I should have bought the 8X..?? ??? Hindsight is 20/20. I am still happy with the depth range and performance of the 6X. I have used it on the beach, some small creeks and rivers for gold. Unfortunately no gold yet.

Does anyone know where to get a chest harness that will fit?

Thanks.

Skipper

gitchi9753

Aug 20, 2007
Detector(s) used
JW pulse 8,whites classic surfmaster 6000di,garrett,minelab ex 2

I have had a jw 8 for a year now when it is working it is a great unit for scuba but not one for the beach as it is heavy Mine has a little glitch but the staff have been bending over backwards helping me out I also just bought a 48inch coil If anyone is thinking about this unit for beach and or shallow water i suggest getting the cable shorter then 100 feet it is a heavy duty cable light for its size but in the way on beach good for coins not so good for small rings as it is advertised

mr007s

Sep 8, 2007
Where the pavement ends in NC

Jeffro said:
JW Fisher, Mel Fisher, and Fisher Electronics...... hmmm, so tell me, just where does Bobby Fischer fit into all this? ;)

FISHER PRICE

Seriously, the March issue of Western&Eastern Treasure has a good artical about their products. See page 56, looks like some good stuff!

Photoflash

Sep 2, 2007
Little Canada, MN
Detector(s) used
JW Fisher Pulse 8/Excalibur
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Photoflash said:
I recently purchased a JW Fisher Pulse 8. I found it to be the best detector I'd ever used in the surf, and on the beach.

I dug a lot of trash, but surely found more with the Pulse 8 than I had with other detectors. I primarily wanted it for working the surf, and in deeper water.

I have a Garrett Sea Hunter also, which I like a lot, even though it is an older unit.

8)

I have a Pulse 8, and have not had the opportunity to put it through it's paces yet in deeper water. I have found though it is extremely sensitive on the beach and I've found more with it than any other detectors I've used. It is a bit heavy though and I plan on figuring out a harness or good hip belt for the main box.

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

I bought my pulse 8x a year ago and it is all jw fishers claim it to be. 9 rings,6 large cents,1 half cent,2 indian heads,1 mercury head,2 silver dimes,2 silver medallions,1 1700's sword, 2 silver sword adornments,1700's buttons,silver spoons, a lot of artifacts axes,hammers,tools,,and 120 lbs of sinkers.

this critter rocks big time and some of this came from an area previously hunted by me with my 1280x aquanaut from fishers. I'm a big guy and swinging the pulse 8x is a chore but a well rewarded one indeed. I tried using a belt mount for the box but it tends to break the wire connections off. you might try a sling like machinegunners use to carry the squads machine gun but I just got used to it.

operation is fairly easy but you do need to equalize the coil for optimum depth, this is done by turning a knob but should be redone after every hit or as needed. their is no discrimination but a 3 power level switch is standard on the pulse 8x and on its lowest level a good response is usually a good target. to be fair my 1280x has a hard time recognizing a large steel or iron target from a treasure target like silver or gold or aluminum.
so I don't consider this a detraction in operation.

the pulse 8x has found gold rings and a sword in scabbard the ring was about 8" deep and the sword was over 2 feet deep. I don't lnow of a better underwater detecor and dealing with chris at jw.fishers has been great. I did change the arm cuff as I have a large forearm and it was hard to remove my arm to dig so I added a stainless steel armcuff, the only other drawback is the shaft connections were screw in and I needed to tape them to keep the coil flush with the bottom, otherwise they tended to unscrew themselves.

the new pulse 8x comes with an aluminum shaft so that problem should be solved. I bought a 48" coil, 16" coil,and it comes standard with a 7.5" coil. I do highly recommend you buy the dual headphones as it becomes a lanyard to the detector while digging, and the old single gives you a back up if anything happens to the headphones. the biggest drawback is you had better like digging cause it will find everything, but then that is why I like it.

toyotaman3356

Jul 25, 2010
Cocoa Beach Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fisher Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Other
I have an interview with Chris Combs from JW Fisher and we talked about the Pulse 8X only. I love mine and have it chest mounted. I have an equipment modification episode on my podcast which might help.

nycwalter

Feb 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The JW Fisher line are PI's and they make magnetometers for towing behind a boat for the marine salvage business. Mel Fisher used them and some others in finding the wrecks. I've used a Pulse 8, and don't think it would do for beach hunting.

I understand you and others not wanting to dig too much but dont you think the other machines that supposedly identify the type of metal can be wrong?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not wrong, just not as effective. The deeper you go, the less sensitive a VLF detector becomes. You also need the PI to be tuned correctly for those deep conditions. The end result is a detector with best use deep under the ocean, but not especially sensitive to small gold. That's why people don't use them on the beach.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I OWN AN 8X I WANT TO GET RID OFF - I HAD WHITES PI WHEN I GOT INTO WATER HUNTING - WAS TOLD JW WAS AN EVEN MORE POWERFUL ONE

GOT GREAT DEAL ON NEW USED ONE - TRIED IT ONCE ON A BEACH - NEVER AGAIN
I CAN SEE WHY THEY USE THEM FOR WRECKS THOUGH

shanemcn

Jul 14, 2013
The guy that makes the podcast "Let's talk metal detecting and treasure hunting" uses a jw fisher PI for beach and waist deep surf hunting says he loves it , built to last commercial grade, in one of the podcasts he recorded live while hunting at night on coco beach in Florida , you can here the tones and as he finds a couple rings, PI 's are great for depth.
Great podcasts as well.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes. Folks seem to have the metal detector branch of Fisher Research Labs confused with JW Fisher Underwater Research Equipment. Can you blame them?

Fisher Research Labs / hobby detectors:
http://www.fisherlab.com/hobby/index.htm

J.W. Fisher Underwater Research Equipment:
http://www.treasurenet.com/cgi-bin/treasure/jwf/index.html?

But don't get mad at Fisher Research Labs - they have 45 years on JWF. :D

Just saw this thread...

not that big a gap... or your math needs brushing up... only 30 years.

And JW picked up where they left off... hence the surpassed quality and success. heh

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread